Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How do I/we justify the price paid for Moises?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Why does it need justifying. He's under contract and in demand. Rules of supply and demand dictate price.
Exactly! We don't have to justify to anyone. Sounds like Chelsea have now panicked and didn't appreciate that Liverpool and Munich were lurking and knew his worth.

So how does this work out? Liverpool want to pay £110m but refuses to go there. Chelsea then refuse to pay that. Does he stay with up under duress?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I’M SORRY! Yes, I KNOW(!!) Another Moises thread…BUT the rest of the threads are out of control, I can’t keep up with them despite my best efforts and several late nights reading like many of us I’m sure, and I need help haha (I bet I’m not alone and so hope this isn’t an entirely selfish thread.)

I am getting BOMBARDED by jealous/angry texts from (non BHA) ‘friends’ and I’m doing my best but would appreciate ‘succinct’ help from the intelligent/articulate among you (I don’t count myself as any of the above) in rationalising it?!

Also looks like it might be set to go even higher if Chelsea bid again?!

• He’s (in our opinion) the best DMF in the league, and they’re rare/expensive/in demand right now.
•• We watch his every minute (not just 5mins on MOTD) and so KNOW his talent.

• The amount is subjective/market lead…
•• Rice/Enzo/Jude
(I think he’s better but tbh wouldn’t presume to be able to speak to another teams players ability with any real expert knowledge if I didn’t watch them week in week out.)

• Better(or at least on the same level) as the others mentioned and YOUNGER, still improving and so as much about his potential as it is his current ability.

• We didn’t want/need to sell (like other clubs re other players) and so the price was set by the NEED of the potential buyers at this moment in time, and not necessarily what we ‘truly’ think he’s worth. (I think had he stayed longer we’d of sold for less, having realised more value, like Trossard/Mac Allister/Burn etc)

•• He was never for sale and so the offers were always going to have to be high!

• On an existing long contract (also in comparison to above mentioned players?)

Anything else? THANK YOU!

EDIT: Perhaps I should add that I don’t feel I ‘have’ to justify it, maybe I ‘want’ to…and in hindsight I would like rather to ‘educate/enlighten’ my ignorant friends to the pertinent facts that are clearly beyond them rather than ‘justify’ it! 👍🏻
The transfer market is a market like any other. It is driven by supply and demand. You don’t need to justify it.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I’M SORRY! Yes, I KNOW(!!) Another Moises thread…BUT the rest of the threads are out of control, I can’t keep up with them despite my best efforts and several late nights reading like many of us I’m sure, and I need help haha (I bet I’m not alone and so hope this isn’t an entirely selfish thread.)

I am getting BOMBARDED by jealous/angry texts from (non BHA) ‘friends’ and I’m doing my best but would appreciate ‘succinct’ help from the intelligent/articulate among you (I don’t count myself as any of the above) in rationalising it?!

Also looks like it might be set to go even higher if Chelsea bid again?!

• He’s (in our opinion) the best DMF in the league, and they’re rare/expensive/in demand right now.
•• We watch his every minute (not just 5mins on MOTD) and so KNOW his talent.

•• Rice/Enzo/Jude
(I think he’s better but tbh wouldn’t presume to be able to speak to another teams players ability with any real expert knowledge if I didn’t watch them week in week out.)

• Better(or at least on the same level) as the others mentioned and YOUNGER, still improving and so as much about his potential as it is his current ability.

• We didn’t want/need to sell (like other clubs re other players) and so the price was set by the NEED of the potential buyers at this moment in time, and not necessarily what we ‘truly’ think he’s worth. (I think had he stayed longer we’d of sold for less, having realised more value, like Trossard/Mac Allister/Burn etc)

•• He was never for sale and so the offers were always going to have to be high!

• On an existing long contract (also in comparison to above mentioned players?)

Anything else? THANK YOU!

EDIT: Perhaps I should add that I don’t feel I ‘have’ to justify it, maybe I ‘want’ to…and in hindsight I would like rather to ‘educate/enlighten’ my ignorant friends to the pertinent facts that are clearly beyond them rather than ‘justify’ it! 👍🏻
We paid £4.5m because he was young and inexperienced

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
mostly Bloom's ability to get top money. i didnt think he'd go for much more than Arsenal offered, as we'd be more willing to sell now rather than mid season. while being best DMF in league i dont think thats worth transfer record. the market is overdone, even on a relative basis, Arsenal overpaid for Rice, so any buyer has to overpay for other midfielders including Caicedo.

andy_lee007uk

Oct 21, 2005
Surrey Seagull
I've literally just had a similar conversation with a Spuds fan at work. They we're literally spitting venom (probably annoyed with Kane going) that he's not worth the money, we're holding him prisoner, he's a human being, etc.

I pointed out that we had no intention of selling, but would entertain the idea if a ludicrous sum of money was thrown at us.

That after he threw (or his agents manipulated him) his toys out of the pram in January, he was welcomed back with open arms by the club and fans.

That he signed a new, extended, improved contract recently. No release clause (as far as I am aware).

That he is one of the best CDM's in the world right now.

Lastly I pointed out that you don't play games with the lizard and win!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There are only 1 or 2 players of his ability that are available each year. He has taken us from a lower mid-table side to a Top 6 side with European football, and he can take Liverpool from fringe Champions League qualifying to genuine title contenders.

If you pass on that opportunity of signing him you risk standing still or - worse - being leapfrogged by his new club.

It doesn't matter a jot what Chelsea have done in this window. Their fans have seen Bellingham go to Real, Rice go to Arsenal and - potentially - Caicedo to Liverpool.

And what makes it even more perverse is that if you feel the money is steep would can just sell off some players to Saudi. That option wasn't there in the past. £100 million will look cheap in a year's time when the Saudis come calling again.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
‘BOMBARDED’ with said texts, you say.
🤨

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
There is a long list of factors which on their own do not qualify for a £115m fee right now, nor do a few of them combined, but all together a perfect storm by the football gods has been created….

- firstly he’s very good
- lots of potential
- consistency
- proven in Prem
- proven at international level
- signed a long contract
- Arsenals £70m January bid
- a summer bidding war
- we don’t need the money
- a tough negotiator in Bloom
- we didn’t want to lose him
- Rice sells for £105m
- Enzo sells for £107m
- the inflated market
- he’s only 21
- Wealthy owners/clubs want him

Honestly, he’s not worth paying £115m for at this stage, nobody should be worth that sort of figure at 21, but a perfect storm has been created in a ridiculous transfer market… & we’re on the lucky end of it. & maybe, just maybe, he could turn out to be an undisputed world class player & right now clubs are buying into that potential.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Why bother justifying it? Liverpool offered £111m so that must be what they think he’s worth - and we agree.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
•• Rice/Enzo/Jude
This is the key point, I think. Chelsea spent £90m on Mudryk from the Ukrainian league, and £107m on Enzo from the Portuguese league. Both much less strong leagues than the Premier League. Neither of them had kicked a ball in the Premier League before, whereas Ciacedo's a proven top-class performer in the world's strongest league.

In a sane world, no player is worth £100m+. But Chelsea, more than any other club, have made this market what it is.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Surely it should be Liverpool .... or possibly Chelsea .... justifying the price, not us ?
This! If they want him and we don’t want or need to sell him, they’ve got to pay silly money to get him.
The fault is absolutely ALL theirs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here