Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

House flooded, contents destroyed, no power for 48 hours

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can't understand why anyone would live in there.

Unfortunately some people just have to live in less desirable places. Not everyone has the ability to move away from Tory blue-rinse land.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I can't understand why anyone would live in that area. I know Yalding well and it's marshy at the best of times.

When people are talking about flooding in Kent, Yalding is always top of the list. Cheap housing, floodplain, wet. I agree that you can blame the residents, but it seems strange to me that people are allowed to build there (presumably at a profit to the developers), but that other taxpayers and insurance payers have to bail them out when the inevitable happens. Presumably there is no recourse to the only people who make money out of this - the developers?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
One assumes they all have insurance.

Most probably. Unfortunately, fresh problems will arise when they renew. Premiums will either be sky high or Insurance companies won't touch them.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
When people are talking about flooding in Kent, Yalding is always top of the list. Cheap housing, floodplain, wet. I agree that you can blame the residents, but it seems strange to me that people are allowed to build there (presumably at a profit to the developers), but that other taxpayers and insurance payers have to bail them out when the inevitable happens. Presumably there is no recourse to the only people who make money out of this - the developers?

Having said that, a lot of the houses in the centre are quite old. In any case, cold dirty water flooding your ground floor puts the odd short-lived power cut in perspective.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I would'nt have thought it would cover that sort of damage.

If at risk of flooding and a house in the area has had flooding in the last 10 years or so then I would say it's probably unlikely they have been able to get any decent insurance. Houses just shouldn't be built in these places.

Regarding the third world comments from some victims of the floods, I work for a water company and have manned the phones during burst mains and people without water. Some people in this country really need to see the third world before comparing their situation to it! It is almost laughable how much we complain about things.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
One assumes they all have insurance.

If their property was flooded in 2000 , the last time it occurred and they made a claim then the property would be uninsurable.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Very easy to write this from the comfort of your warm dry house I bet?

Yep. Also very easy to write when I could be pretty sure if I was given 'a few hours notice' I'd have time to get stuff upstairs or out of the house if it was of sentimental value.

Then I'd go off somewhere and return later and be thankful me and my kids are not dying in some African desert.

Last on my list of things to do would be to shout at the prime minister because Granny's walnut veneer cabinet has got a bit damp. Or start making up stories about single handedly rescuing people like Superman.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
And just when you think Xmas cannot get any worse Cameron turns up on your door step.

What a terrible, awful, time some people have had.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/dec/27/david-cameron-confronted-residents-flooded-village

It could have been marginally worse. It could have been Ed Milliband, turning up like some sort of unfortunate social misfit and just repeating, "Flooding is wrong. This coalition government is wrong," ad infinitum, regardless of the question, like someone with a minor but inoperable brain injury. Yes - that would have been worse.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Don't forget the councillors who took backhanders to allow planning permission where for years it had been refused because land was known to be a flood plain. I'm not referring to Kent in this instance.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Is it a case of better sites are unavailable to be built on because they are protected green belt sites and we are very anti building new houses,despite there being an obvious demand if it means building in these sort of areas.

Flood plain building may be as a result of the only sites available to developers because it is located within an urban area already. :shrug:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Most probably. Unfortunately, fresh problems will arise when they renew. Premiums will either be sky high or Insurance companies won't touch them.

There are schemes. However, if you chose to live in a flood risk area then you are, to all intents and purposes, taking on some of that risk. One of the women complaining to the PM was upset that her £5,000 wooden was ruined and it had only been installed 8 months previously! If you can afford a floor like that you can afford higher insurance premiums.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It could have been marginally worse. It could have been Ed Milliband, turning up like some sort of unfortunate social misfit and just repeating, "Flooding is wrong. This coalition government is wrong," ad infinitum, regardless of the question, like someone with a minor but inoperable brain injury. Yes - that would have been worse.

HA HA HA HA, oh my sides are splitting.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There are schemes. However, if you chose to live in a flood risk area then you are, to all intents and purposes, taking on some of that risk. One of the women complaining to the PM was upset that her £5,000 wooden was ruined and it had only been installed 8 months previously! If you can afford a floor like that you can afford higher insurance premiums.

My oh my there are some smug people on this site. Do you not feel sorry for someone who has spent money trying to make their home nice to see it all washed away?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I wouldn't want one of those new houses planned for the area around the Parker Pen site at Newhaven either. Not unless they are on stilts anyway. Why don't these planners consult the locals? We could have saved Sainsburys a few quid to start with, anyone could have told them that the original building on The Drove would sink.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I used to live in quite a scummy area and it flooded regularly, powercuts were quite regular and I don't ever re-call any politicians or energy companies vowing to solve the problem. Now I live near the River Mole and not far from me, in the leafy conservative stronghold of Leatherhead where floods have breached the summer houses and conservatories of Cameron's die hard supporters it suddenly seems a priority. God knows what kind of Home Counties Hell will be unleashed when the mince pies and smoked salmon supplies are gone and the Ocado vans can't get through. There'll be rioting on the streets of Dorking!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

So you think it's all justified, like some strange form of Karma?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
My wifes relations Live in Tacloban, thats where my sympathy is right now.

Anyone who doesn't have sympathy for the people of Tacloban would be utterly heartless, of course we should feel empathy for them, and do whatever we can to help.

But what's that got to do with this issue? People in the South of England, up the road from us, have had a terrible time over Christmas, and to suggest that you feel no sympathy for their plight because people in the developing world have it worse is also utterly heartless.

And HT is right. If I was swilling out my house and Cameron turned up, that would be the straw that broke the camel's back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here