Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Hotel non-refund

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
We had a hotel booked the night before Marseille on our way to the game.

The hotel was booked and paid for in full, in advance, on Accor's website.

When we arrived at the hotel we were told that there were no rooms available, and they had been given to other people. We were told we had to find another hotel.

It took quite some time and a fair bit more money on a taxi and a new hotel booking in order that we had somewhere to sleep that night.

I assumed it would be an easy exercise to get a refund, at the very least, from Accor for our initial booking. I was wrong.

Accor themselves are refusing to refund me. Instead they are saying it's up to the hotel. I didn't book with the hotel, I didn't pay the hotel, I have no relationship with the hotel directly and have hand communications with them at all.

Their last email said:

Thank you for your return,​
We have been asked to respond to your request regarding your reservation XXXXXXXXX for a stay from 04 Oct 2023 to 05 Oct 2023.​
Following your initial discussions with our services, your file has been reviewed by our expert team. The conclusion of our investigation unfortunately does not allow us to provide you with a response different from the one you received previously​
Since the refund can only be made by the hotel, therfore if you have not received any reply please do not hesitate to contact us again.​
We remain at your service should you require any further assistance.​
Am I going mad - are they being reasonable here?
No, you are not going mad. tbh sounds like you're being too polite.

If what you have written is true, then Accor have taken your money for a service, that was refused to you by their contracted provider, through no fault of yours and they are then refusing to give your money back.

That's effectively fraud. You contract dealing and payment was to accor.

First thing is contact your payment provider and dispute it (try and get chargeback).

I'd personally contact trading standards, and then write a really detailed and very snotty trust pilot review (they all monitor them and NSC can help!) citing accor are engaged in stealing money as their suppliers don't provide paid for services without reason, that you've been forced to go to bank and trading standards and anybody using them is also at the risk of theft of their money by Accor.

And this (below) is from a google search of word Accor, I'd quote the last part on trustpilot post and say its factually false and misleading advertising, you're not "guaranteed to have a pleasant and comfortable stay" and there's every chance you'll get no room and theft of money.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231016_111303_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20231016_111303_Google.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 43

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Just threaten legal Bozza
Totally unacceptable and pathetic response from Accor

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
That's effectively fraud. You contract dealing and payment was to accor.
Are you sure - ? Looks like Accor use a fielded out hosting/management site for all their online bookings to me so they may very well be 3rd party contracts - if so, the beef would more likely be with the actual hotel I would think. Just because the hotels are called ‘Accor’ on the website it doesn’t mean you are dealing directly with the actual hotel you stay in.

This is helpful

maybe have a closer look at the fine print

- Doesn’t help Bozza much - I would probably get someone who can speak French very well and contact the hotel via email - with details of the booking made, proof of payment … 🤷🏻‍♂️

(turn up for a weekend visit as a walk in have a nice time and do a runner on the Monday morning without paying the bill if they don’t refund you from the first booking 😉)

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Are you sure - ? Looks like Accor use a fielded out hosting/management site for all their online bookings to me so they may very well be 3rd party contracts - if so, the beef would more likely be with the actual hotel I would think. Just because the hotels are called ‘Accor’ on the website it doesn’t mean you are dealing directly with the actual hotel you stay in.

This is helpful

maybe have a closer look at the fine print

- Doesn’t help Bozza much - I would probably get someone who can speak French very well and contact the hotel via email - with details of the booking made, proof of payment … 🤷🏻‍♂️

(turn up for a weekend visit as a walk in have a nice time and do a runner on the Monday morning without paying the bill if they don’t refund you from the first booking 😉)
Maybe it is, but youd be surprised how much vocal negative PR will make them change their minds or prefer to be seen as taking the high road.

Ultimately it only matters he gets his money back from somewhere and sometimes when dealing politely and formally with companies that will try and wash their hands, and hide behid small print, you will often get nowhere unless you do become vocal.
The damage you can do with vocal public critisism is far costlier than just paying you back.

Is that hotel still advertised on accor?

if it is then I'd say the point stands personally, despite any small print which of course will always allow the provider to try and wash their hands of any responsbility.

Who will be the next person to hand over their money, get no room and get excuses for no money back?

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

When we arrived at the hotel we were told that there were no rooms available, and they had been given to other people. We were told we had to find another hotel.

It took quite some time and a fair bit more money on a taxi and a new hotel booking in order that we had somewhere to sleep that night.

I assumed it would be an easy exercise to get a refund, at the very least, from Accor for our initial booking. I was wrong.

Accor themselves are refusing to refund me. Instead they are saying it's up to the hotel. I didn't book with the hotel, I didn't pay the hotel, I have no relationship with the hotel directly and have hand communications with them at all.

Their last email said:

We have been asked to respond to your request regarding your reservation XXXXXXXXX for a stay from 04 Oct 2023 to 05 Oct 2023.​
Following your initial discussions with our services, your file has been reviewed by our expert team. The conclusion of our investigation unfortunately does not allow us to provide you with a response different from the one you received previously​
Since the refund can only be made by the hotel, therfore if you have not received any reply please do not hesitate to contact us again.​

Who does it say charged you on your credit card statement?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I booked the Ibis in Marseille via Accor website. My credit card shows the hotel by name but was it them that took the money or just them as a reference.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That's a lot of words. Is that one of Musk's changes?

Still can't believe they've allowed it to get to this stage, madness
Late one night, probably when wine had been consumed, I paid for twitter premium or whatever it's called.

I didn't know about this until a month later when I noticed the charge for the next month.

Even though I don't recall paying, I was clearly switched on enough to hide the blue tick. There seems to be a certain group of people willing to pay for the blue tick, and I'm not sure I want to be associated with them!

I would have cancelled again but even though I rarely use twitter/X, they paid me for "Ad revenue sharing" then I paid them for premium. There wasn't much in it, but I was slightly better off. And given being able to edit posts after I make them, and I make typos all the time, I've stayed subscribed for now.

I've only turned on the blue tick this morning for my post to Accor. I'll turn it off again later!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Re X'd
Or whatever it's called now

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing

Their last email said:

Customer service has been wiped out post Covid. A lot of very experienced staff were made redundant, (including me!) I have had some awful service post Covid, hotels, restaurants (no I won't use your bloody app,) phone service shops (o2) the list goes on.

I would suggest perhaps a quick call to hotel the day before to confirm arrival time, which ensures they are aware of the booking and your arrival.

The good ones will contact prior to double check everything.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Can we get some of those **** guys who seem to post 1000's of comments about such and such a player moving to Chelsea to post as many comments on the Accor website.
I'm booked into an Ibis in Amsterdam but can assure you this will be my last Ibis until they compensate our Bozza.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here