Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Hot curries

Pickles

May 5, 2014
I like a bit of spice, but even a Madras from a restaurant is too hot for me (at least last time I tried).

I was just amazed that you could get something that hot from a supermarket.

Just found this from 'The Sun', published last year....
-----------------------------

ICELAND is selling what could be the hottest curry on supermarket shelves, following Morrison's attempt last week.

Its new Carolina Reaper Curry is made using a whole red Jinta chilli and a Carolina Reaper chilli, which Iceland says is 200 times hotter than a jalapeno.

Iceland is selling what it says is the hottest supermarket curry, made from fiery Carolina Reaper chilliesCredit: Iceland
The frozen curry contains chicken marinated in tikka spices and is served in a curry sauce flavoured with the fiery Carolina Reaper.

It's then finished with a whole red Jinta chilli for an extra kick.

Iceland recommends serving the curry with a pot of yoghurt or rice, to help cool down the spicy flavour.

Last week, Morrisons brought out its attempt at the hottest supermarket curry, with it's Flaming Fiery Phaal made from scorpion chillies

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I love my heat and spice, in a curry, trust me.

Vindaloo, Madras ? Mild to me.

But perversely, from Iceland, had a curry called Carolina reaper curry, which is beautifully so hot, it's out of my league.

Just had a little and had to get the mllk., My mouth is now back to normal after an hour, and I barely touched it.

This is seriously hot!!!!!

So, what curry beat you?

The Reaper is quite a favourite amongst the Chilli growers group that I am a member of, its one for the real willy wavers to brag about growing. For me, I'm not touching them with a barge pole even with rubber gloves on, who wants to grow a chilli so hot that if you handle it incorrectly you can virtually go blind and/or liquefy your intestines ? . I normally go up to Serrano's and Bird's Eyes as they are quite hot enough but this year I have grown some Jamaican Hot Chocolate which are pretty darned hot but still only a 20% as strong as your Reapers, if you fancy trying some I will drop some off to you ?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
be0951bf42aaa59c340c4fd30c29b6c6.jpg

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
When it comes to spicy food, I have a very simple philosophy.

I want to be able to taste the same flavours with my last mouthful as I did with my first ...

So, blow-yer-socks-off hot stuff, just doesn't do it for me.

This.
I get fed up of this macho shite about how hot your curry is. Just enjoy the FLAVOUR ffs.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
The thing is, I genuinely believe chillis are addictive.
I love hot food but order what I’m in the mood for.
For sheer taste, I don’t reckon you can beat a Balti.
I am however, very partial to a vindaloo.
Nothing macho, it’s like I said...chilli can get addictive.
You start with a jalapeno and reckon you can stop at any time, then it takes over.

Jalapeno ......the gateway drug. :)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I was just amazed that you could get something that hot from a supermarket.

Just found this from 'The Sun', published last year....
-----------------------------

ICELAND is selling what could be the hottest curry on supermarket shelves, following Morrison's attempt last week.

Its new Carolina Reaper Curry is made using a whole red Jinta chilli and a Carolina Reaper chilli, which Iceland says is 200 times hotter than a jalapeno.

Iceland is selling what it says is the hottest supermarket curry, made from fiery Carolina Reaper chilliesCredit: Iceland
The frozen curry contains chicken marinated in tikka spices and is served in a curry sauce flavoured with the fiery Carolina Reaper.

It's then finished with a whole red Jinta chilli for an extra kick.

Iceland recommends serving the curry with a pot of yoghurt or rice, to help cool down the spicy flavour.

Last week, Morrisons brought out its attempt at the hottest supermarket curry, with it's Flaming Fiery Phaal made from scorpion chillies

The Sun and Iceland, a chav match made in heaven :D

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Had two of them for dinner today. No flavour at all just pure heat. Hottest ready meal i've ever eaten. Won't bother trying again.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Can't help thinking that too many people eat ridiculously hot curries as some sort of macho rubbish. Some heat is nice but is should still be all about the flavour. Hottest I go is a Ceylon which has some heat but not enough as too be uncomfortable.

Aside from hot curries I once made the mistake of buying Dave's Insanity Sauce which was strangely available in ASDA. Thought I'd spice up my chili con carne. One teaspoon was enough to leave my lips on fire for an hour and sweats with a shortness of breath. The label said, "Great cooking ingredient for sauces, soups, and stews. Also strips waxed floors and removes driveway grease stains."*So I guess I was warned!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Can't help thinking that too many people eat ridiculously hot curries as some sort of macho rubbish. Some heat is nice but is should still be all about the flavour. Hottest I go is a Ceylon which has some heat but not enough as too be uncomfortable.

Aside from hot curries I once made the mistake of buying Dave's Insanity Sauce which was strangely available in ASDA. Thought I'd spice up my chili con carne. One teaspoon was enough to leave my lips on fire for an hour and sweats with a shortness of breath.
Spicy food is extremely addictive. You probably wouldn't know.
No supermarket has stocked Dave's Insanity sauce for years. I use to buy it all the time.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Spicy food is extremely addictive. You probably wouldn't know.
No supermarket has stocked Dave's Insanity sauce for years. I use to buy it all the time.

Thanks but I was aware. The Insanity sauce was passed on to a mate who worked in a Toyota dealership where there was a young lad who boasted about his love of Phall curries. He was challenged to put down a full teaspoon of the stuff. The result was that he nearly feinted and had to go home sick!

Chrisbettyrice

Aug 13, 2019
I believe the Caroline reaper is one of the world's hottest chillies and can't believe Iceland would use such a niche ingredient. It is a seriously hot chilli certainly not for the faint hearted

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Chrisbettyrice

Aug 13, 2019
Anything that demands I put the toilet rolls in the fridge overnight for use the next morning is OUT OUT OUT nowadays.
You don't need toilet rolls. With your diet you should at least be on a super absorbent multi thirst pocket super absorbent catering pack of kitchen rolls. The ones you can wash out and put on the line to dry.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Think what it is doing to your body. A madras is fine for me.

What does Chili actually do to the body?

I've never heard of it being harmful as such.
Sure it creates a hot sensation, but is there actually any damage being done?

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
What does Chili actually do to the body?

I've never heard of it being harmful as such.
Sure it creates a hot sensation, but is there actually any damage being done?

A few years back a couple of Argos ‘journalists’ were apparently hospitalised after eating a burger with some seriously hot sauce.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
A few years back a couple of Argos ‘journalists’ were apparently hospitalised after eating a burger with some seriously hot sauce.
Wow - they sell toys, crappy jewellery, toilet seats and batteries. Is that not enough? Now they are branching out into journalism. Do you get Nectar points if you buy their paper?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here