Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hosham UKIP public meeting tonight in Horsham at 19:30

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Your post is representative of everything wrong with the political status quo that got us to this point.[/

Really? The fact that I think that there's more than one issue that will affect the lives of my actual (not imaginary) grandchildren.

But you acknowledge immigration is an issue that nobody wanted to address until UKIP gained support?

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
But you can think for yourself and you did know the risks, yet you still chose to ignore that and smoke. Why?

im prepared to take that risk i suppose. and yes ive only got myself to blame if all goes terribly wrong.
look my father in law RIP lived to the ripe old age of 98 before he finally kicked the bucket and he smoked a packet a day since the age of 10 and drank liquor like it was going out of fashion ..health wise the man was as fit as a fiddle & he suffered no illnesses whatsoever. yet at the same time i knew blokes who hadn't been so fortunate and died less than half my father in laws age through smoking related diseases...guess what im trying to say to you is.. when your times up its up !!.
but what i definitely don't need is for a state that has become almost obsessive interfering in my daily lifestyle & telling me right from wrong as if im some kind of imbecile who's incapable of making a decision of my own. probably a good enough reason if any to vote UKIP ..the only party who's prepared to do away with a nanny state and replace it with common sense laws and its the only party who will abolish political correctness for good.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
im prepared to take that risk i suppose. and yes ive only got myself to blame if all goes terribly wrong.
look my father in law RIP lived to the ripe old age of 98 before he finally kicked the bucket and he smoked a packet a day since the age of 10 and drank liquor like it was going out of fashion ..health wise the man was as fit as a fiddle & he suffered no illnesses whatsoever. yet at the same time i knew blokes who hadn't been so fortunate and died less than half my father in laws age through smoking related diseases...guess what im trying to say to you is.. when your times up its up !!.
but what i definitely don't need is for a state that has become almost obsessive interfering in my daily lifestyle & telling me right from wrong as if im some kind of imbecile who's incapable of making a decision of my own. probably a good enough reason if any to vote UKIP ..the only party who's prepared to do away with a nanny state and replace it with common sense laws and its the only party who will abolish political correctness for good.

If that's how you feel then fair enough.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Is there anything actually wrong with that?

Personally, I view UKIP as a single issue party. The issue in question is huge and life changing for my potential grandchildren as to the direction this country heads in. It's an issue that no other legitimate political party had addressed on any level whatsoever prior to the rise of UKIP.

Do you also feel that the issues of health, education, defence, transport, the environment, social equality, wealth, unemployment and economic growth are huge and life changing for your potential grandchildren?

For me immigration is an issue, but less so than the ones I mention above, but we all have our own viewpoints and considerations of what is important.

I appreciate that given my background, both as being from a migrant family and professionally as an academic I'm going to be skeptical of UKIP's claims.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Do you also feel that the issues of health, education, defence, transport, the environment, social equality, wealth, unemployment and economic growth are huge and life changing for your potential grandchildren?

For me immigration is an issue, but less so than the ones I mention above, but we all have our own viewpoints and considerations of what is important.

I appreciate that given my background, both as being from a migrant family and professionally as an academic I'm going to be skeptical of UKIP's claims.

All of the above, yes. I believe all of those things are important and would hope that UKIP's 2015 manifesto covering such important issues is a damn sight better than their barmy 2010 nonsense.

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
Could it not be argued they are trying to reduce future public spending by offering prevention rather than cure?

since when have they cared, the debt this country finds itself in today is absolute sacrilege and yet they still continue to borrow at a rate of no tomorrow. the result of borrowing only spells out further debt for future generations to come.
if they care as much as what they preach to us they do.. then what's stopping them from taking a few drastic measures to rectify the problem instead of kicking it further in to the long grass ? .

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
since when have they cared, the debt this country finds itself in today is absolute sacrilege and yet they still continue to borrow at a rate of no tomorrow. the result of borrowing only spells out further debt for future generations to come.
if they care as much as what they preach to us they do.. then what's stopping them from taking a few drastic measures to rectify the problem instead of kicking it further in to the long grass ? .

But if you believe in a low tax small government society, don't we all have a personal responsibility to try and access services like the NHS as little as possible?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Indeed, but shouldnt someone also speak to those non Brits happily accessing the NHS that we are all paying for..................

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201314/cmpublic/immigration/131029/am/131029s01.htm

I would be the first to agree that non-EU citizens coming here to work should have their healthcare paid for by their sponsors for a couple of years. One imagines Spain and Portugal might be a bit angry if we did the same for EU people as they have a lot of our retirees there.

That being said, even Farage concedes the NHS is dependent on immigrants to function.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I would be the first to agree that non-EU citizens coming here to work should have their healthcare paid for by their sponsors for a couple of years. One imagines Spain and Portugal might be a bit angry if we did the same for EU people as they have a lot of our retirees there.

That being said, even Farage concedes the NHS is dependent on immigrants to function.

I agree with you, although I would argue if a firm wants to recruit an employee from outside the UK then they should pay a stamp for (say) up to 5 years so the individual (or family) can access the NHS. If someone arrives to be self-employed they should not access the UK without paying for the NHS stamp up front.

I think you should read these minutes more carefully they confirm that ex-pats regularly return to the UK for treatment, probably because they can’t get the care free where ever they are in the EU or elsewhere. There’s the rub, the EU is not a level playing field in relation to health care in the EU, technically the French system is even better that the NHS, however it is not run on a free at the point of delivery basis.

I will take a wild guess and argue that the vast majority of British taxpayers wouldn’t give two hoots about what Spain or Portugal thought, what they want is fairness for the NHS in UK.

The reality is the NHS is being abused on an industrial scale which no one knows the extent of because no one is doing anything about it, despite, as these minutes demonstrate Politicians knowing all about it (sound familiar?). In the meantime British taxpayers are being affected despite having paid in all their lives. As Professor of Oncology from the Royal Marsden Merion Thomas states:

“one of the most awful things that happens to me is that I have to cancel surgery for a legitimate patient because of a health tourist who is ineligible for care who is breaching the NHS rules for 62-day care—we must begin treatment within 62 days. Sometimes I have to cancel a genuine patient to allow a tourist to come through. That really, really bothers me. I know exactly what happens then: they do not attend their follow-up appointments. Why? Because they have gone back to Thailand or wherever they have come from. It really happens so often—weekly, I would say.”

As for the NHS being reliant on immigrants what does that actually mean? I don’t care what Farage says the NHS should not be open to abuse by immigrants just because the NHS employs immigrants that’s a mental attitude. That’s like arguing that unemployed British people should be able to fleece the taxpayer funded welfare system because other British people are paying taxes. You wouldn’t do that what you?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Horsham MP is Francis Maude.

Yep that's him, one of the big expenses fiddlers.
"Top Tory Francis Maude has claimed almost £20,000 in expenses for his second home – despite David Cameron’s promise he would stop taking taxpayers’ cash to subsidise it.
At the height of the expenses scandal three years ago, the Prime Minister vowed Mr Maude would “no longer claim any money” for his London home.
The Cabinet Office minister did stop for a while, but started again when a new expenses regime came in.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/cabinet-office-minister-francis-maude-1444641

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I agree with you, although I would argue if a firm wants to recruit an employee from outside the UK then they should pay a stamp for (say) up to 5 years so the individual (or family) can access the NHS. If someone arrives to be self-employed they should not access the UK without paying for the NHS stamp up front.

I think you should read these minutes more carefully they confirm that ex-pats regularly return to the UK for treatment, probably because they can’t get the care free where ever they are in the EU or elsewhere. There’s the rub, the EU is not a level playing field in relation to health care in the EU, technically the French system is even better that the NHS, however it is not run on a free at the point of delivery basis.

I will take a wild guess and argue that the vast majority of British taxpayers wouldn’t give two hoots about what Spain or Portugal thought, what they want is fairness for the NHS in UK.

The reality is the NHS is being abused on an industrial scale which no one knows the extent of because no one is doing anything about it, despite, as these minutes demonstrate Politicians knowing all about it (sound familiar?). In the meantime British taxpayers are being affected despite having paid in all their lives. As Professor of Oncology from the Royal Marsden Merion Thomas states:

“one of the most awful things that happens to me is that I have to cancel surgery for a legitimate patient because of a health tourist who is ineligible for care who is breaching the NHS rules for 62-day care—we must begin treatment within 62 days. Sometimes I have to cancel a genuine patient to allow a tourist to come through. That really, really bothers me. I know exactly what happens then: they do not attend their follow-up appointments. Why? Because they have gone back to Thailand or wherever they have come from. It really happens so often—weekly, I would say.”

As for the NHS being reliant on immigrants what does that actually mean? I don’t care what Farage says the NHS should not be open to abuse by immigrants just because the NHS employs immigrants that’s a mental attitude. That’s like arguing that unemployed British people should be able to fleece the taxpayer funded welfare system because other British people are paying taxes. You wouldn’t do that what you?

Must confess I have never really thought about ex-pats returning.

You are correct in assuming a lot of people don't care about ex-pats in the Costa but it doesn't change the fact planes of them would be coming home if we leave the EU.

As an absolute minimum we need to start counting people coming in and out of the country to help authorities plan.

The NHS is reliant on immigrants working for it. This is fairly much accepted across the political spectrum.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I have two serious questions for the UKIPERS on here. A, If we pull out of the E.U., who do we trade with, and B, Where will we find workers to do the horrible, menial jobs for the low wages that the right wingers seem to love other people getting that migrants do now?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I have two serious questions for the UKIPERS on here. A, If we pull out of the E.U., who do we trade with, and B, Where will we find workers to do the horrible, menial jobs for the low wages that the right wingers seem to love other people getting that migrants do now?

A. With exactly the markets we currently trade with. Around 50% of our trade is to non-EU countries. Our trade with EU members would continue, the Germans are hardly going to prevent us buying their BMWs and they will want our car designers to continue designing them their high quality cars.

B. Any part of the job market that was short of workers could be supplemented by workers coming in on points based visas. That's one of the points but too many hand wringers think UKIP says no immigration when reality is that UKIP says controlled immigration.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

I have a third!

How do UKIP supporters justify the recruitment of a Polish MEP who is a member of a party led by a holocaust denier who wants to deny women the vote as well as other far right racist views.

Makes you proud to be British - - - - NOT

http://www.theguardian.com/politics...deal-with-far-right-to-save-european-grouping

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Must confess I have never really thought about ex-pats returning.

You are correct in assuming a lot of people don't care about ex-pats in the Costa but it doesn't change the fact planes of them would be coming home if we leave the EU.

As an absolute minimum we need to start counting people coming in and out of the country to help authorities plan.

The NHS is reliant on immigrants working for it. This is fairly much accepted across the political spectrum.

The evidence suggests that planes of ex pats are already coming in and we are in the EU.........however I agree that some control is required, unfortunately the problem is that we don't have it, and ironically we won't get it by staying in the EU.

I'm still at a loss to understand the point about immigrants working in NHS? We have 8 prisons in the UK dedicated to the burgeoning immigrant prison population of 14%, so does that mean the prison system is also reliant on immigrants?

http://www.irr.org.uk/news/segregating-foreign-national-prisoners/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here