[Albion] Hopefully the end of Connolly

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Did Welbeck not scream leave it??? Welbeck seems like a nice lad.... he should have shoved him out of the way and stuffed it in!!!!

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Not sure he is up to it but not sure he can be blamed for getting in the way of Wellbeck. He is a striker and had every right to go for it. It's also very difficult to leave the ball in a split instance.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Our best hope is to loan him to a Championship club, hope he can bang in 8 or 10 goals then pick up a few mill for him. Cardiff under Harris would be my choice.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
I was trying to describe him to a fella at work and the only analogy I could come up with was Nikalas Bendnar

Full of confidence in himself, always gets picked but you’ve no confidence in him

Crawley have got a fella at the moment who’s scored 16 in 16 so far now I know it’s a completely different level but the ball and the goal is the same size

I would rather take a punt on someone like that in January rather than not getting anyone in

I don’t expect anyone to agree with me but if we stick with Maupay and Connolly I can see it ending in tears

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Take the Spurs game out of it and he has 2 league goals in 19 starts + 14 appearances as a sub.

or, take out the Spurs game and he's got 2 in 40 games in all competitions.

...and we took the piss out of Benteke

and if you take out all the games he has scored in from the stats he hasn't scored at all

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He is 20 years old and while far from a complete player, clearly promising.

Maybe you are right though, maybe he deserves to play somewhere where people are less keen on bashing a young player coming through from the academy. I remember in January when he had to close down his Instagram account because Brighton fans wouldnt stop harassing him over how shit he was. That doesnt happen everywhere. I'm sure people wanted rid of Dunk after his own goals vs Liverpool and I've seen how much abuse March gets.

Lots of the worst abusers are the "I've watched the team for 50 years and have the right to say that everyone is shit", so I suppose its a cultural thing - same cultural thing making that trophy room what it is. Times are changing though, as long as Tony Bloom is in charge - no matter what happens to Potter or Connolly - young players from the academy are going to get through to the first team.

They are going to bring vitality and identity to the team at the same rate of their loudest abusers, the parts of the old guard who chosed not to follow, turns into obsolete carcasses sulking over a dark past in where they could have been remembered as the heroes but ultimately decided not to... throwing away their part of history just because they got psycho-sodomised by the glorious Premier League.

Connolly is going to become a very good striker, its easy to see his endless hunger and I have no doubt he shows the same thing in training, its that kind of character. Whether he becomes good in in Brighton or elsewhere is partly up to you. Hopefully he is still in the club in 10 years.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Maybe you are right though, maybe he deserves to play somewhere where people are less keen on bashing a young player coming through from the academy. I remember in January when he had to close down his Instagram account because Brighton fans wouldnt stop harassing him over how shit he was. That doesnt happen everywhere. I'm sure people wanted rid of Dunk after his own goals vs Liverpool and I've seen how much abuse March gets.

Lots of the worst abusers are the "I've watched the team for 50 years and have the right to say that everyone is shit", so I suppose its a cultural thing - same cultural thing making that trophy room what it is. Times are changing though, as long as Tony Bloom is in charge - no matter what happens to Potter or Connolly - young players from the academy are going to get through to the first team.

They are going to bring vitality and identity to the team at the same rate of their loudest abusers, the parts of the old guard who chosed not to follow, turns into obsolete carcasses sulking over a dark past in where they could have been remembered as the heroes but ultimately decided not to... throwing away their part of history just because they got psycho-sodomised by the glorious Premier League.

Connolly is going to become a very good striker, its easy to see his endless hunger and I have no doubt he shows the same thing in training, its that kind of character. Whether he becomes good in in Brighton or elsewhere is partly up to you. Hopefully he is still in the club in 10 years.

Welbeck missed 3 sitters in a row in 3 games (maybe more than that against villa) and yet he is the saviour. Connolly is not being played to his strengths i.e. early ball to feet so he can run at defenders so we are not seeing his best side. Lot of people just slagging him off. Thought Maupay also put in a shift but too often having to drop back to get the ball. I agree that neither are top strikers but neither deserve the abuse they are getting.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Unfairly singled out for criticism in my view. Lots of others not currently pulling their weight. Connelly for all his faults works his socks off every game. Caused Man u no end of problems. Noticeable that lots of people call for him to be pulled on from the subs bench when he’s not in The first 11

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

I think putting a 20 year old into a struggling side in a league as unforgiving as this is always going to end in tears. In some ways the Spurs game has hampered his development as a loan spell out of the spotlight of the PL would have given him time to develop his craft and make the step up a bit softer (similar to whites development at Leeds).

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think a lot of people are being very harsh. Personally, I'd get him a 6 month loan to the Championship. See how he gets on with a few regular starts rather than a bingo draw picking a team which he may or may not be part of. He's not Premier League standard yet but there aren't a lot of 20 year old strikers playing at this level. He has been thrown in and he does his best but he's not offering enough at the moment. He needs to go out, play regular games at a lower level and come back into the squad ahead of next season.

Zeqiri looked far better in his short appearance. Ashworth needs to step in and get him out on loan.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think a lot of people are being very harsh. Personally, I'd get him a 6 month loan to the Championship. See how he gets on with a few regular starts rather than a bingo draw picking a team which he may or may not be part of. He's not Premier League standard yet but there aren't a lot of 20 year old strikers playing at this level. He has been thrown in and he does his best but he's not offering enough at the moment. He needs to go out, play regular games at a lower level and come back into the squad ahead of next season.

Zeqiri looked far better in his short appearance. Ashworth needs to step in and get him out on loan.

Wow.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Apart from running around does nothing. Although to be fair is good at falling over. In this respect ref had him sussed and didnt fall for it. If he was put out for loan you can rule out championship clubs and very little interest from lower leagues.. Very very lucky to have played so many PL games.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No he hasn't. Never.

He's far from being shit, but he's obviously struggling at the moment. I really believe, though, that a half season loan in January to a League1 club to bang in a few goals for fun and get his mojo back would be the best thing now.
100% agree, he needs a season on loan in a lower division.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Pretty much spot on.
Regardless of if he makes it or not he definitely won't if people don't support him and all he gets is abuse. We must be getting a bad reputation for abusing players, it is probably hampering us getting new signings.
Murray, Barnes, Stephens, Gross, Webster, Ryan, March (and more) all good players whos performances never warrant the abuse they get.

I'm a bit surprised that people are talking about the abuse players receive - there's been no one in the ground for months! Where are they getting this abuse that is shattering their confidence? Surely a fan-less ground means players should feel more relaxed and able to make mistakes? I can't imagine the players read NSC and do they really pay that much attention to their twitter and instagram accounts? (if so get off them there's really no need). One of my biggest disappointments with Potter is this lack of confidence seemingly showing in the team.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I want him to succeed, I really do. It’s not clicking for him at all and I fear throwing him in at the deep end has done no favours.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports