Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Homeserve - any good?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Considering joining for £1 a month, 12 month contract. £30 call out excess - this is for plumbing. Any experiences with them from users here?

medwayseagull reborn

Oct 12, 2022
Their service is OK but they become expensive over a period of time if you call them out. Certainly won't stay anywhere near that price after your 12 months.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Their service is OK but they become expensive over a period of time if you call them out. Certainly won't stay anywhere near that price after your 12 months.
Thanks, I thought for £1 a month it’s worth it then seeing what the renewal price is like.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Use local tradesman. They will do as little as possible on the call out and then give you a massive price for a permanent fix. They aren’t surviving on £12 a year from punters.
I know this from their customers calling me for a second opinion. A burnt out kitchen light fitting somehow became a full rewire for £12k plus vat 🤣 I replaced and tested for £120 job done.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
we had a boiler service contract with them - serviced boiler one Friday in the winter - last job on a Friday

an hour later realised no heating - no one available to call back until middle of following week

turns out bloke servicing boiler had left gas turned off

five days with no heating

bloke who fixed said its about the 12th job I have been to like this - and blamed his useless colleague

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I would say shit and avoid from my experience.
They cover the trace and access side of leak detection which I do, and been to a couple of follow jobs which they were supposed to complete, but couldn’t.
But like all trades, you have a good and bad.

LockStock

Jan 29, 2008
Sussex
Like most of the others have said, use your local trades people. These big corporate companies try to screw everyone, local trades like myself and most of the staff on their books.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
We had a problem with the RCD tripping out. One time it was the ground floor light circuit, then the boiler switch, then the ground floor sockets. Homeserve were clueless. They ordered a new PCB for the boiler, so no heating for a week. Came to fit it and the RCD wasn’t tripped when turning the boiler switch on, so that was a waste of time. Then they said it must be a problem with a junction box in the kitchen ceiling void, so our first floor floorboard would need to be taken up by someone else so Homeserve could investigate. I’d had enough by now and the plumber we use recommended an electrician. He came round and identified the problem as a fault in an outside security light that was causing other circuits to trip the RCD. Homeserve were total shit and sent electricians who weren’t fit for purpose. They even admitted they didn’t provide an adequate service and refunded the excess payment that had to be made when calling them out.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
We've had British Gas for about 15 years - we had a year break when their annual renewal took the piss.
We have an "un-vented" plumbing system and very hard water so heating valves only last 2-3 years but get replaced "free" by BG engineers.
Plus, annual service, free call-out and repairs.
Happy, while prices remain at £25-ish pcm

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Are you saying this light didn't itself trip the RCD when it came on? Was it a damp issue?

I think he means the security light was tripping the circuit/RCD. Can happen easily enough as they're open to the elements and water doesn't mix well with leccy.

Geoffbn2

Feb 2, 2014
I think if you want the reassurance of a just in case policy then it's ok, Like any insurance policy there are excesses and then it's pot luck as to who they use / send out to deal with your issue.
I would suggest you double check your home insurance as you may already have this covered to a certain extent.

Hove Lagoonery

Dec 16, 2008
I think he means the security light was tripping the circuit/RCD. Can happen easily enough as they're open to the elements and water doesn't mix well with leccy.
I thought he meant that turning on appliances on other circuits was doing the tripping, but that this light was somehow the root cause. Difficult to say though when he neither put a like on your post nor indicated which of my two questions was being answered!

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I thought he meant that turning on appliances on other circuits was doing the tripping, but that this light was somehow the root cause. Difficult to say though when he neither put a like on your post nor indicated which of my two questions was being answered!
The electrician believed it was a water issue with the outside light, but he also put the ground floor light circuit on a separate RCD so only that would trip if it wasn’t the cause. Had no problems since. He did explain why the root cause could affect other circuits and trip the RCD, but lost me there.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I tend to find the annual subscription to NSC is better value for finding good tradesmen. Don't call them over the weekend saying 'I've just been doing a bit of DIY and ......

They don't like that :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here