Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Home security systems - any experts on here?

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
We have an ADT alarm. If we're out then there is little we or ADT can do to stop something being stolen. We have it for peace of mind while we sleep and while our daughter is at home by herself. If it's set off at night then it gives me time to get my muscular :whistle: frame out of bed and deal with the situation. If our daughter is at home by her self there is an emergency key sequence that gets the alarm company to call the police immediately. I guess it mostly depends on if you think it will give you peace of mind - it will never really stop a determined burglar. Costs us £27 a month.

Never looked at prices, so might be a daft question does that £27 include all the gear and installation?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Never looked at prices, so might be a daft question does that £27 include all the gear and installation?

Been a while since we had it put in but IIRC it was just £40 install and then six months half price 'rental'. Kit includes two movement sensors, a door connector and two control panels - the main one upstairs by the kids bedrooms and a remote battery run one by the front door although you get the choice of placement. Also includes a box outside so people can see you have a live alarm. You get a yearly service in the cost as well.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
We have an ADT alarm. If we're out then there is little we or ADT can do to stop something being stolen. We have it for peace of mind while we sleep and while our daughter is at home by herself. If it's set off at night then it gives me time to get my muscular :whistle: frame out of bed and deal with the situation. If our daughter is at home by her self there is an emergency key sequence that gets the alarm company to call the police immediately. I guess it mostly depends on if you think it will give you peace of mind - it will never really stop a determined burglar. Costs us £27 a month.

What do you expect to happen when a home security alarm triggers?

I am not in that industry at all, but as I understand it, the home alarm alerts a monitoring company (such as ADT). They try to verify with the account holder (homeowner) whether there is a real problem or not. Depending on the answer, or no answer, from the account holder, they then advise the police that an alarm has sounded.

The police take that info and choose how to respond based on A) the info provided (e.g. an alarm is ringing at an address, no-one from the household has got back to us to confirm it is a false alarm, so we are required to tell you about it), and B) available resources (as few as two patrol cars covering Brighton at night on some occasions, I believe someone has quoted here before?).

I can't say that an ADT-style system would fill me with much confidence. But as said earlier, I am not in the industry so maybe I am missing something here.

A dog or two sounds like a much better response than a metal box with a flashing light on the outside of the house, to me (unless the bad lad just saw you taking the pooch out for a walk). Or maybe a dog and a fake security box on the wall?

See https://ciaalarms.co.uk/intruder-alarms/monitoring/police-response/

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Purchase some MMA trophies on eBay and leave them in various rooms downstairs, you don’t need to feed or walk them either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here