Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Home EV Points

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Well after 12 months of owning a Hybrid and only using Petrol Mrs Jakarta has put her foot down (no pun intended) and we have installed a Home EV Charging Point.

Seeing as I had a Back Procedure today and am taking the rest of the week off I suppose I should give in and read the Manual as how to use it.

Looks pretty simple but any advice as to when to use it from Home EV Users would be appreciated e.g. typical charging times to capacity.

It is a Mercedes A250 so not a large car!

I'm presuming overnight which would make sense even though I seem to be WFH about 75% these days.

I suppose if nothing else it will help to sell Jakarta Towers in the future as more and more people move to EV's

Cheers

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
What make and model of charger? A new one will probably be "smart", and know about loading levels on the grid. And what app do you use?

Even if you don't have cheap overnight electricity, it's greener to tell the app to "charge the car by 6am" (or whenever), so the grid can supply when it's best.

Also, I find it easier to keep it topped up, rather than doing long charges.

Yes, I'm hoping to get some payback on the house value at a later stage!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Did you get any grant compensation and without meaning to be crass, how much did the installation cost?

I’ve been reading that non home charging is on a par with filling up economical petrol/diesel cars. I guess charging at home is much cheaper.
As a petrol head I am really kicking against an EV, although I do accept it’s the future. I won’t be giving up at least one ICE car when it becomes inevitable that I need to buy an EV

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Did you get any grant compensation and without meaning to be crass, how much did the installation cost?

I’ve been reading that non home charging is on a par with filling up economical petrol/diesel cars. I guess charging at home is much cheaper.
As a petrol head I am really kicking against an EV, although I do accept it’s the future. I won’t be giving up at least one ICE car when it becomes inevitable that I need to buy an EV
I install them from time to time, pricing ranges depending on how far away the charger is to be installed from the supply. Could be £500 could be £2000

Last edited:

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I have an EV and have just sold my house, including EV charger. I can confirm having that an EV charger installed does absolutely nothing to the value or appeal of your house, they only cost about a grand to install so it’s hardly a deal breaker.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
What make and model of charger? A new one will probably be "smart", and know about loading levels on the grid. And what app do you use?

Even if you don't have cheap overnight electricity, it's greener to tell the app to "charge the car by 6am" (or whenever), so the grid can supply when it's best.

Also, I find it easier to keep it topped up, rather than doing long charges.

Yes, I'm hoping to get some payback on the house value at a later stage!
Cheers, it is obviously spanking new and yes I will have to sort out an app for it.

Intend to use it for local travel rather than deepest darkest Essex next week for example.

Not expecting a huge payback when we sell up but it won't hurt, especially in a village like Storrington with currently 2, yes that is 2, Public charging points...

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

No, by the time we got our car in April, the grants had just finished.

Installation cost nearly £1500, but a lot of that was because it's about 30 yards from our meter to the garage, through a couple of walls. We could have continued using our 13amp "granny charger", which cost £200, but which would take about 30 hours for a full charge. It might suit some people, though. I believe new-builds are now required to install the cabling, but not the charger unit.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Cost was £1.5K, home charging is MUCH cheaper so I have been told, we shall see.

I'm a Petrol Head as far as my 2 wheeled transport goes - wonder how much longer petrol will easily be available?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Cheers, it is obviously spanking new and yes I will have to sort out an app for it.

Intend to use it for local travel rather than deepest darkest Essex next week for example.

Not expecting a huge payback when we sell up but it won't hurt, especially in a village like Storrington with currently 2, yes that is 2, Public charging points...
If you use Facebook, I'd definitely recommend finding user groups for the relevant car and charger. Any typical problems will have been encountered before - you don't have to figure it out yourself!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Well after 12 months of owning a Hybrid and only using Petrol Mrs Jakarta has put her foot down (no pun intended) and we have installed a Home EV Charging Point.

Seeing as I had a Back Procedure today and am taking the rest of the week off I suppose I should give in and read the Manual as how to use it.

Looks pretty simple but any advice as to when to use it from Home EV Users would be appreciated e.g. typical charging times to capacity.

It is a Mercedes A250 so not a large car!

I'm presuming overnight which would make sense even though I seem to be WFH about 75% these days.

I suppose if nothing else it will help to sell Jakarta Towers in the future as more and more people move to EV's

Cheers
We have an Ohme charger and it's a piece of cake, set the limit of how much charge you want (we generally go to 80%) and plug in. But strongly suggest you look at Octopus Intelligent tariff. It only charges overnight, regardless of when you plug in (unless you override it) and our 64KWh car costs less than £6 to fill (300+ miles) from empty

Oh, as for times your charger will likely be 7KWh so the math is easy

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I have an EV and have just sold my house, including EV charger. I can confirm having that an EV charger installed does absolutely nothing to the value or appeal of your house, they only cost about a grand to install so it’s hardly a deal breaker.
And purchasers could install their own anyway. I also don’t understand why people think it would increase the value of a house by anything more than its small installation cost. Presumably, like all technology, it will be rendered obsolete anyway by better EV chargers in the future.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I was mildly surprised to see that a charging point has been installed in my local PUB carpark this week. Handy if you're diving in for a few shandies while it charges, I suppose...

Stumpy Tim

We have an Ohme charger and it's a piece of cake, set the limit of how much charge you want (we generally go to 80%) and plug in. But strongly suggest you look at Octopus Intelligent tariff. It only charges overnight, regardless of when you plug in (unless you override it) and our 64KWh car costs less than £6 to fill (300+ miles) from empty

Oh, as for times your charger will likely be 7KWh so the math is easy
When does "overnight" start though? In other words, at what time does the energy become cheaper?

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Low rate times vary depending on you supplier and tarif . There are some deals out there that do not have low rate times at all but instead give slightly reduce standard rates

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you drive Mrs Jakarta’s car, or vice-versa, how many home EV points will Barber deduct?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
When does "overnight" start though? In other words, at what time does the energy become cheaper?
In my case it's between 23.30 and 05.30. I think. But the charger communicates with the Intelligent Octopus tariff and weirdly (and it's correct as I've checked it) I can plug in when I get home at say 17.00 and it won't charge but at random times before 23.30 it may well charge if the load on the grid isn't high. It still costs 10p per KWh (the overnght rate) regardless of the time

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Is it still true that electricity is cheaper at night? If so, I’d go for that.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Is it still true that electricity is cheaper at night? If so, I’d go for that.
On my tariff it is. Just a FYI, our elctricity bill in total for the last month was £64, that's to run the house and all applicances etc and we did over 1000 miles in car.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
On my tariff it is. Just a FYI, our elctricity bill in total for the last month was £64, that's to run the house and all applicances etc and we did over 1000 miles in car.
That’s not bad is it!

I do have an image of your family living life at night though 😂

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here