Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Holmesdale Fanatics

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Thought Palace were rather subdued last night. Not as up for it as in previous seasons. The first half performance didn't help but even after the goal, the nervousness seemed to return.

Maybe we're all just getting older and fan bases aren't getting replenished with younger fans (attending together in groups) in the way they were.

I remember in the first couple of seasons at the Amex ... some of the visiting fans were seriously loud. I remember Palace being pretty noisy, and Leeds were off the scale. In more recent times I don't recall hearing that kind of wall of noise.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Apart from when they scored I didn't hear a peep from them in the North

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I sit level with the South goal in the WSU. From where I sit I honestly can hardly hear the North Stand, but you hear the away support quite well. The filth last night were loud for the first 10 minutes, then , not a lot till the penalty etc. Loud again for the first 5 in the second half, and , obviously after their goal. Until we scored, then quiet as the grave. I thought it was one of our louder games, but, as I said earlier, you can’t really hear the North where I sit.

Well, I wouldn’t say it was one of the North Stand’s loudest night, but there were songs going on all the time, about 3 at one point :rolleyes: So, very hard to hear anything from anywhere else. Think I actually properly heard Palace twice, once was after the goal and even then it didn’t seem very loud.

I’ve sat in the South Stand next to the away fans a few times and have heard the North singing a lot more than them. Once was against Middlesbrough when we were 3 nil down, I was amazed.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Thought Palace were rather subdued last night. Not as up for it as in previous seasons. The first half performance didn't help but even after the goal, the nervousness seemed to return.

Maybe we're all just getting older and fan bases aren't getting replenished with younger fans (attending together in groups) in the way they were.

I remember in the first couple of seasons at the Amex ... some of the visiting fans were seriously loud. I remember Palace being pretty noisy, and Leeds were off the scale. In more recent times I don't recall hearing that kind of wall of noise.

It’s an interesting point, I think that maybe the ‘old school’ fans were louder and they have gradually faded away. The Palace lot that came to The Amex in the first few seasons seem a lot different to ones that turn up now. They have a lot more younger fans, but they just aren’t as loud, it’s probably the same for a lot of clubs, must be a generational thing.

In terms of our demographic, I think that last night was probably the biggest ‘youth’ % we’ve had at a home game in decades. Seemed to be a lot of ‘persistent standing’ in the areas either side of the away end, was great to see.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
whether we like it or not, although the rivalry remains, and will probably always do so, the intensity is fading. Successive late KO, in mid winter, on weeknights, heavy policing, have all reduced peoples appetite for going to this game

After the apparent hassle getting home fans out of the ground a fair few more will just give it a miss next time, "normal" Palace fans must be getting tired of the grief getting to and from The Amex.

I remember having genuine apprehension about these games, and questioned whether or not to take young nephews to it, now adays its becoming more and more like a normal game, maybe with a bit more edge

Palace fans coming have gone from being intimidating to laughable- chanting at posters and smoke bombing themselves.

Taking young kids and finding the stadium like a police state with horses and lines and lines of police must be quite a concern for parents as well who will think twice about going again

Whether by chance or design, the clubs are causing this game to lose its "special" factor, and the inanae drivel the pundiits keep spouting about the M23 Derby etc and trying to big it up just comes across as desperation which people see through

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
whether we like it or not, although the rivalry remains, and will probably always do so, the intensity is fading. Successive late KO, in mid winter, on weeknights, heavy policing, have all reduced peoples appetite for going to this game

After the apparent hassle getting home fans out of the ground a fair few more will just give it a miss next time, "normal" Palace fans must be getting tired of the grief getting to and from The Amex.

I remember having genuine apprehension about these games, and questioned whether or not to take young nephews to it, now adays its becoming more and more like a normal game, maybe with a bit more edge

Palace fans coming have gone from being intimidating to laughable- chanting at posters and smoke bombing themselves.

Taking young kids and finding the stadium like a police state with horses and lines and lines of police must be quite a concern for parents as well who will think twice about going again

Whether by chance or design, the clubs are causing this game to lose its "special" factor, and the inanae drivel the pundiits keep spouting about the M23 Derby etc and trying to big it up just comes across as desperation which people see through

And yet people are saying the ground was fuller than for any recent home game. Certainly looked that way on tv.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

I rather enjoyed all of the 'extras' last night, all added together to enhance my matchday experience.

Ironically the worst bit was down by the train platform gate, when a follicly challenged, more mature home fan wanted to take everyone on due to the minor shuffling/nudging.

Good job that his good lady was there to calm matters.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Home fans were superb last night.
Made sure there was no "incredible Palace away support" bullshit

I was in the North and you only really get to hear the most vocal away support from there.
Palace weren't by any stretch of the imagination, loud. Quieter than many team we have entertained recently.
Decent noise from the Penalty miss and immediately after the goal, but seemed to get nervous again pretty quickly.

Unsurprisingly, they appear to be exactly the same as most fan-bases, if your team aren't giving you anything to sing about, it's hard to generate too much.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I rather enjoyed all of the 'extras' last night, all added together to enhance my matchday experience.

Ironically the worst bit was down by the train platform gate, when a follicly challenged, more mature home fan wanted to take everyone on due to the minor shuffling/nudging.

Good job that his good lady was there to calm matters.

Probably the same **** outside the North who took huge offence to some jostling as a thousand fans were trying to make there way past him in a restricted space.
What is it with these twats?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I went up to my seat with about 5 minutes to go until kick off and I genuinely beamed a huge a smile when I saw how full the ground was, there’s been some awful attendances recently and I feared the worst.

Few empty seats scattered in the family areas of ESL, but that’s understandable for a late evening KO. Most visible number of blue seats were in the away end.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Apart from when they scored I didn't hear a peep from them in the North

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

I don't like Palace as much as the next Albion fan but I was in the North and heard them a lot.

Imo, taking my blue and white specs off, it was a great atmosphere all round. Both sets of fans went quiet after each other scored but other than that very loud home and away end

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I don't like Palace as much as the next Albion fan but I was in the North and heard them a lot.

Imo, taking my blue and white specs off, it was a great atmosphere all round. Both sets of fans went quiet after each other scored but other than that very loud home and away end

Bizarre. I stand in the middle of the NS and barely heard them. Some weird voodoo going on with the acoustics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here