Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hollow threat by Rangers Chairman?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I see that Charles Green threatening to take Rangers out of Scottish Footie in response to proposals to restructure their leagues. I Can understand them wanting to play in a 'bigger' league but surely they don't have any alternative options. It's just a hollow threat plus a bit of mischief making in return for Rangers current plight.

UEFA don't allow cross-border domestic leagues so where does he think Rangers would play? For a start it won't be the English Premiership! Why should the Auld firm get admitted? - and certainly not at the expense of Championship clubs!

I don't think Rangers (or Celtic for that matter) would be content with a rugby style 'Celtic League' (Scots/Irish/Welsh) either. Is there an appetite for a Euro league? It seems that UEFA are more inclined to merge the Champs Lge and Europa Cup. I can understand his frustration but Mr Green will have to put up with a couple more years in the lower leagues until Rangers make it back to the Scots Prem.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I think the proposed "celtic league style" thing would have included Scandinavian clubs as well when it was discussed a few years back. Probably a non starter for all sorts of reasons but an interesting idea.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Much as I hate Rangers and believe they are entirely responsible for their current situation European football does have a problem with clubs in smaller national leagues being excluded from the top table by the financial disparaties of the subscription tv era. In reality there's a glass ceiling the likes of Ajax, Rangers, Anderlecht have little chance of breaking because their domestic leagues will never generate the same tv revenues as the PL or La Liga.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I think Rangers would struggle in 'our' Championship and probably get a right battering in the English Prem. so could be very embarassing for them. Maybe Celtic might have a better go given their current showing in the Champs Lge, but its all academic really. I guess they are jealous of the TV money avaialble south of the border. I don't want to see them admitted into English footie especially if it affects the prospects of Championship clubs.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think Rangers would struggle in 'our' Championship and probably get a right battering in the English Prem. so could be very embarassing for them. Maybe Celtic might have a better go given their current showing in the Champs Lge, but its all academic really. I guess they are jealous of the TV money avaialble south of the border. I don't want to see them admitted into English footie especially if it affects the prospects of Championship clubs.

Celtic and Rangers would struggle in our League 1. Are Rangers getting worried about the upcoming referendum on independence leaving Scottish clubs in perpetual isolation ?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think he should take rangers out of football. If we can convince Celtic to do the same that would be great!

Up the Jags!

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
I see that Charles Green threatening to take Rangers out of Scottish Footie in response to proposals to restructure their leagues. I Can understand them wanting to play in a 'bigger' league but surely they don't have any alternative options. It's just a hollow threat plus a bit of mischief making in return for Rangers current plight.

UEFA don't allow cross-border domestic leagues so where does he think Rangers would play? For a start it won't be the English Premiership! Why should the Auld firm get admitted? - and certainly not at the expense of Championship clubs!

I don't think Rangers (or Celtic for that matter) would be content with a rugby style 'Celtic League' (Scots/Irish/Welsh) either. Is there an appetite for a Euro league? It seems that UEFA are more inclined to merge the Champs Lge and Europa Cup. I can understand his frustration but Mr Green will have to put up with a couple more years in the lower leagues until Rangers make it back to the Scots Prem.

You might ask why Swansea or Cardiff/ Wrexham should be allowed to play in the English leagues- whats the difference they are still British? Rangers and Celtic are far far bigger clubs with far more history.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Much as I hate Rangers and believe they are entirely responsible for their current situation European football does have a problem with clubs in smaller national leagues being excluded from the top table by the financial disparaties of the subscription tv era. In reality there's a glass ceiling the likes of Ajax, Rangers, Anderlecht have little chance of breaking because their domestic leagues will never generate the same tv revenues as the PL or La Liga.

It's not different to many clubs in the EPL already though. The average revenue of clubs in the Champions League is £238 million, the average revenue of the rest of the Premiership is £78 million. How can they compete with the big clubs, who as soon as they see a decent player offer to treble their wages and take them off their hands.

In the 70's and 80's when I first started getting into football the top division was won by the likes of Derby, Leeds, Forest, Villa and Everton, despite Liverpool's incredible success during that period.

Clubs of that stature will NEVER win the top division again, which is a depressing thought, and the only reason why City won it last year was that their sugar daddy appeared before the introduction of Financial Fair Play, which is designed to prevent anyone with money from investing in a club to make it successful in terms of winning the league.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I never want either of those two shit clubs playing in the English Leagues.

I also hate that this topic comes up from time to time.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Celtic and Rangers would struggle in our League 1. Are Rangers getting worried about the upcoming referendum on independence leaving Scottish clubs in perpetual isolation ?

I tend to agree and was being a bit generous about how well they might do south of the border. Anyway I'm not sure I want to see loads of their fans down here plus potential sectarian issues especially with that nice Mr. Lennon winding the punters up.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Unless anyone wants to be force fed British/Irish historical battles going back to the 17th century I can see no reason why anyone would want either of the Old Firm in English football.

I had the misfortune to have tickets for the Europa League Final in Manchester when Rangers got there, and was working on TV at the Breakfast Show the following morning and the centre of Manchester was in tatters when walking to the studio at 5.30am.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

Not that I support Celtic or Rangers going into the English league, but whenever this discussion comes up, why can people never comprehend that if they were in the English leagues, their squads wouldn't remotely resemble their current ones?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I never want either of those two shit clubs playing in the English Leagues.

I also hate that this topic comes up from time to time.

Like todays news, its normally only ever raised by those north of the border (wishful thinking by them) - you don't hear of any real appetite for making it happen down here.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
So how do Swansea play in the EPL?

It's historic. Cardiff and Swansea have been allowed in the English league's for time immemorial. It is quite a different proposition to imagine rangers and celtic becoming members of our league. It will never happen but as already mentioned, it's annoying that this crops up from time to time.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Alex Ferguson was asked last week "what did he think about football in Scotland" his reply was " I think it would be a good idea one day" Boom Boom:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Unless anyone wants to be force fed British/Irish historical battles going back to the 17th century I can see no reason why anyone would want either of the Old Firm in English football.

Is the correct answer.

I personally couldn't give a monkeys what League these backward looking Partisan inbreds play in - So long as it isn't the English Pyramid structure.

Maybe they should play in a League of their own? They could then exchange insults re the Pope, 12th July, William of Orange & all the rest, every week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here