Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Holland to progress tonight

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I'm no tipster but seen odds fluttered around of 11/2 and 15/2, this looks a very decent price to me considering Germany are foregone conclusions against the Danes and due to the head to head rule Holland would only have to beat Portugal to progress? Perhaps worth a fiver?

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Holland wouldn't go through on the head to head, because they lost to Denmark. They need to beat Portgual by two clear goals to go through on goal difference, assuming that Germany beat Denmark.

Last edited:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Ahaha its so complicated, possible though and still a good price I think considering

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
So it's goals scored then head to head then goal difference ?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

No in the event of them being level on points, it's head to head results, when it's head to head between 3 teams it's only the games between the 3 that are counted (the results against Germany don't count for this part), then it's points, goal difference, goals scored. A 2 goal win for Holland would leave all three teams on 3 points, Holland go through because they would have a plus gd in the head to head league, Denmark would have level gd and Portugal a minus gd. A win for Holland by a single goal (2-1 or above) would see all three teams tied on 3 points and with a level gd, Portugal go through on goals scored if that's the case. If its 1-0 to Holland then Portugal and Denmark have scored 3 each so Portugal go through on the head to head result between Portugal and Denmark.

Last edited:

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Points, then head-to-head, then goal difference, then goals scored.

If Holland win 1-0 and Germany beat Denmark 1-0 tonight:
Portugal, Denmark and Holland would all have 3 points.
Denmark beat Holland.
Portugal beat Denmark.
Holland beat Portugal.
So head-to-heads cannot decide it.

It would then go to goal difference:
Denmark -1
Holland -1
Portugal -1

Portugal and Denmark would be tied on goals scored (both 3) above Holland.
Then I think Portugal would go through on UEFA world ranking?

Ees complicated.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford

Head-to-head, then goal difference, then goals scored. A mini league is drawn up of all teams on equal points, and results against anyone with more/less points (Germany, in this instance) are discounted for the purposes of determining 2nd place.

I should have writted goal difference in my above post, not goals scored - now edited.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Points, then head-to-head, then goal difference, then goals scored.

If Holland win 1-0 and Germany beat Denmark 1-0 tonight:
Portugal, Denmark and Holland would all have 3 points.
Denmark beat Holland.
Portugal beat Denmark.
Holland beat Portugal.
So head-to-heads cannot decide it.

It would then go to goal difference:
Denmark -1
Holland -1
Portugal -1

Portugal and Denmark would be tied on goals scored (both 3) above Holland.
Then I think Portugal would go through on UEFA world ranking?

Ees complicated.

Holland are eliminated and the criteria are reapplied to the remaining teams. Portugal would go through on the head to head against Denmark in this instance.

If they still couldn't be separated, e.g. the head to head was a draw, then goal difference in all the group games, then goals scored in all the group games would be taken into account. It would then come down to the UEFA ranking if they couldn't be separated. After that, it's fair play and drawing lots I think.

Last edited:

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Holland are eliminated and the criteria are reapplied to the remaining teams. Portugal would go through on the head to head against Denmark in this instance.

Of course, I missed that one line in the BBC article.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Well the stats are certainly against Holland. They have only 1 win from their last 10 meetings with Portugal, and no team has ever got through a group stage after losing their first 2 matches.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A Denmark Germany draw gets them both through and gets rid of a dangerous Holland.
People shouldn't, but always seem to be, surprised when the most favourable outcome to both teams playing, happens.

MORTY

Jan 9, 2007
Basingstoke
But if it's a full moon and 3 or more players have their birthday in June, then surely it's just a question of who has the largest combined shoe size to determine the group winner?

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
A Denmark Germany draw gets them both through and gets rid of a dangerous Holland.
People shouldn't, but always seem to be, surprised when the most favourable outcome to both teams playing, happens.

But if Portugal beat Holland and Denmark and Germany draw, Germany and Portugal go through. Therefore Denmark cannot risk playing for the draw?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But if Portugal beat Holland and Denmark and Germany draw, Germany and Portugal go through. Therefore Denmark cannot risk playing for the draw?
Oh I thought a 2-2 draw, and the Holland game didn't matter.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
De Nederland! Hoping for a 4-0 victory tonight, finally kick-start our tournament, easy game against the Czech's in the quarters also.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Is correct. But I don't know why

The 2-2 draw is for the Croatia vs Spain game. Any draw between Germany and Denmark will see Portugal go through if they beat Holland. Germany would win the group with 7 pts, Portugal would have 6 and Denmark only 4

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
krFsj.jpg
this might help!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here