Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

holiday to sri lanka

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
going on 1st april staying in unawatuna first then east to maybe tangalle nilwella mirissa. anyone been? know any hotels ? or should i not see some of these places
spoke to a chap on here before who went on wanted to get some of his advice but cant remember his name:shootself

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Nice bounce. :jester:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yes around 16 years ago and was very primative but extremely enjoyable.

We stayed in the south at the Bentota Beach and used to visit the resident elephant most mornings at the hotel the other end of the beach (in between dodging the stray cows on the beach :lolol: )

Lovely people, cricket mad so loads of impromptu games on the beach with the locals. Amazing retailers - try and sell you any tat going. Mrs Hut (being blonde) was a firm favourite for the waiters, loved it just a glance and a drink arrived.

Get out round the Island the north end was great with tea plantations etc, ambassadors residence hotel with a crap golf course where a waiter caddied for me (kept saying "Good Shot Sir" as I sliced wide at an alarming rate. Sigaria (spelt wrong) amazing as seen on "Save a Prayer" Duran Duran video. Also the elephant orphanage was fun - the only time an elephant can stand on your foot and you smile.

Really was three weeks of sheer bliss albeit by the third week our hotel was pushy Germans only but a young couple of Germans abandoned their fellow countryman and chose to speak English with us - fine people as show of solidarity.

Good for surfing and sea food as well.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g304136-d316671-r4589938-Hotel_Mermaid-Kalutara.html

Danny Boy, check this website out. This is where my wife and I stayed last November and all of the reviews are pretty fair comment (mine is dated 10th Dec), many with comments on Sri Lanka in general not just this hotel. Mermaid still doing v.good offers (subbed by the tourist board who are keen to improve tourism after the tsunarmi - remember, 4/5ths of the country were com-pletely untouched yet the media coverage meant they all suffered from economic downturn in visitors. Check with the foreign office however, as I think things are getting lively again re: their fragile peace after 20years civil war (mainly in the north however and you won't go there, it's heavily restricted and you just wouldn't bother).

If you do go look out for an Albion t-shirt wearing local....Like a modern day missionary, I believe it is our duty to spread the word so I always leave behind an old shirt!

Enjoy

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Came back from Sri Lanka yesterday.

Only spent a couple of hours in Colombo though on the way back from the Maldives. Hope that helps.

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
Dannybhoy - i think i was going to come back to you with some places to stay. I never did - sorry!.... Did you get the footprint book?

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
MikeySmall said:
Dannybhoy - i think i was going to come back to you with some places to stay. I never did - sorry!.... Did you get the footprint book?

no probs mate thanks for getting back to me

didnt get the book as cant find it anywhere so bought the rough guide

dont know what u reckon to this but this is our rough plan
we flying into columbo and getting air taxi to koggala then we gonna spend few days in unawatuna (already booked sri genumu for first 3 days or so ) then apart from 2 days booked at yala in yala village we free for rest of the 2 and a half weeks

places we thinking of going are hikkaduwa mirrissa tangalle dickwella and nilwella

want a bit of life especially at the beginning , not alot of tourists . nice little individual places right on the beach be good

any info u have would be cool

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here