Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Hodgson going.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
That was under the previous club though wasn’t it? Or the one before the 2003 one I guess? Probably the original Crystal Palace FC tbf. Although no doubt paid for with non existent money that just got wiped off to 1p in the £ :lol: :ffsparr:

Same club, same golden share, so no.

I was going to write an essay to explain why you are totally wrong, and I suddenly got a notification that Brighton had taken the lead at 3-2.

Feck our differences, that is a stunning result. :bowdown:

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Used to like Hodgson before the England debacle and Palace
His career has been tainted by that Iceland game
Full respect to him though as he is a good tactician and rarely stuff a team with Hodgson in charge so games would always be competitive if a little dull especially over the last few seasons with the Palace

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Top bloke , he's already forgotten what most managers are just learning , can't see him staying out of the game for too long though and he's guaranteed some cushy work with SKY hopefully in place of that screeching twit Carragher .

He is 73, I cant see him taking another managerial job unless he fancies running his Grandsons Sunday side

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Then again, why wait?

Bookies have Palace 5/1 to beat Arsenal at home tonight.

We're under 3/1 to win away at The Emirates.
They only need a draw to finish above us, not the win. I think they'll get it, before being comfortably beaten at Anfield on Sunday.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
They only need a draw to finish above us, not the win. I think they'll get it, before being comfortably beaten at Anfield on Sunday.

I actually think they'll win tonight. Even their having the spotty teenagers in hoodies back will give them a lift and it's Hodgson send off, sort of. Plus, most importantly Arsenal are a spineless shower of shit.

6/1 looks very generous to me so I've stuck a tenner on as disappointment insurance. ... So you're right, it'll be a draw.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
With some others on here Hodgson has been a villain in my eyes since he messed up the euros. Average manager at best.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
Well, palarse lost and from what I gather they were unlucky. We could still overtake them?? As to Roy, I will park the rivalry and applaud the man. He has been around football for more years than I have been alive and comes across as a true gent. I hope he thoroughly enjoys retirement but should limit his football involvement to part time punditry or scouting.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well, palarse lost and from what I gather they were unlucky.

Having watched them claim about five years worth of luck in one game at the Amex a couple of months ago, I couldn't be happier at this.

Interesting collection of potential new managers seemingly in the frame. Palace have to decide between their existing pragmatic safety-first routine, or changing perceptions of their style but risking a run of poor results (and thus relegation danger) if it doesn't all click straight away. They lost their nerve totally the last time they tried that, as pointed out by Sir Glenn on TV only a couple of weeks ago, and it's the same board of directors in place, so no reason to think they'll be any braver now.

Frank Lampardscrystalpalace- played reasonable football but tactically hopeless. Seems to be rated as a manager because he took a Derby team who traditionally reached the play offs and lost to a position of reaching the play offs and, er, losing. Couldn't motivate Chelsea's bigger players and their defence/ keeper were amusingly terrible the whole time.

Eddie Howe- another manager who supposedly makes his teams play exciting football, but also has a reputation for defensively weak sides. Croydon is a bit closer to home than Glasgow though, and at least Liverpool will be pleased if he returns to English football to sign all their unwanted dross for massive fees again. Smug- seems a good fit for CPFC.

Sean Dyche- another dislikable man who thus feels like he'd fit in well at a club of a similar stature and state of decrepitude to Burnley. Would work well with their existing collection of slow, clumsy but largely effective defenders, and his style of football is very much "as you were" for Palace, so it depends on the question already posed: do they prioritise style or safety? Maybe he'd bring Ashley Barnes and Dale Stephens with him :jester:

Chris Wilder- bit of a professional northerner and as per Dyche, perhaps his style isn't the break with tradition that Palace are supposedly after. But has always done well wherever he's gone until this season. However- has he been found out this year? You wonder if that's marked his card, given how bad the Blades have been.

Valerien Ismael- this would be an amazing leap if they went for him. Ex-Palace player. I watched the play off game between Barnsley and Swansea the other night and it was like a throwback to another era. They spent the entire game relentlessly twatting the ball high and long, to be chased by the eager lads up front while the rest of their team swarmed forward. They defend incredibly high up the pitch- not entirely sure Gary Cahill or the rest of Palace's clumsy centre halves could keep up with the pace. It's not a style they're entirely unaccustomed to at Selhurst, and potentially Benteke would have an absolute field day with it if he stays. But it's hard to imagine it working in the Premier League beyond the odd game. Probably the one against us, to be fair :rolleyes:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Having watched them claim about five years worth of luck in one game at the Amex a couple of months ago, I couldn't be happier at this.

Interesting collection of potential new managers seemingly in the frame. Palace have to decide between their existing pragmatic safety-first routine, or changing perceptions of their style but risking a run of poor results (and thus relegation danger) if it doesn't all click straight away. They lost their nerve totally the last time they tried that, as pointed out by Sir Glenn on TV only a couple of weeks ago, and it's the same board of directors in place, so no reason to think they'll be any braver now.

hard to see what would appeal to a manager going there. they would know no matter what assurances given they'll have limited spending and have to replace half dozen key players, and bottom quarter will see them out by Christmas. they'd have to have supreme self confidence they can do better than Hodgson with less, or taint their CV. they'll have to find a foreign manager who'll fall for the sales pitch about club ambition and wants the challenge in Premiership.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
hard to see what would appeal to a manager going there. they would know no matter what assurances given they'll have limited spending and have to replace half dozen key players, and bottom third will see them out by Christmas. they'd have to have supreme self confidence they can do better than Hodgson with less, or taint their CV. they'll have to find a foreign manager who'll fall for the sales pitch about club ambition and wants the challenge in Premiership.

To give Palace the benefit of the doubt here (i'm still on a post City generous high) - they have a strong u18s set up and u23s and are finally moving to Cat 1 Academy with a good record of bringing through young talent. They aren't hamstrung too much by wages/budget - they pay top 10 wages and cost of squad is in that 10-15 range in the Premier League and Parish et al will spend big in getting the right manager . Hodgson was on a good contract. Yes. They've a big turnover this summer in terms of squad - but not sure thats necessarily bad planning - new manager needs to be able to input there and some will get new contracts.. Losing Eze for half of next season will be a blow and i'm sure they'll be the usual stay/go Zaha drama. And i wouldn't want to actually sit in their substandard ground (is this new stand ever going to materialise ? ) watching em obviously but they'll have no trouble interesting some young talented coaches who'll fancy a shot.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
they'll have to find a foreign manager who'll fall for the sales pitch about club ambition and wants the challenge in Premiership.
I've got them covered:

Er komt een monorail

Il y aura un monorail

Ci sarà una monorotaia

Будет монорельс

Habrá un monorraíl

Es wird eine Einschienenbahn geben

Będzie kolejka jednoszynowa

Haverá um monotrilho

Det kommer att finnas en monorail

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Edna, no mention of Steve Cooper?
Don't you have inside intel on the Swansea boss?

Cooper has tightened Swansea's defence up- they have the best defence in the Championship I think, however they struggle to score goals. They've done very well to get 80 points but there were an awful lot of 1-0 wins in there, which means on the days when you don't score, it's not always fun.

Funny if Palace went down the route of nicking Swansea City's manager, don't you think? Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery & all that.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
hard to see what would appeal to a manager going there. they would know no matter what assurances given they'll have limited spending and have to replace half dozen key players, and bottom quarter will see them out by Christmas. they'd have to have supreme self confidence they can do better than Hodgson with less, or taint their CV. they'll have to find a foreign manager who'll fall for the sales pitch about club ambition and wants the challenge in Premiership.

You forget that some of these people (Dyche, Lampard spring to mind) have egos. They'll have no worries about failing to match Roy's achievements. Howe: not so sure. Ismael is at Barnsley so it's a step up for him.

And at least Dyche won't look at Selhurst and think "what an absolute dump". Whoever it is, even a Lampard, will think they can use Palace as a stepping stone to a proper job anyway.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

Frank Lampardscrystalpalace- played reasonable football but tactically hopeless. Seems to be rated as a manager because he took a Derby team who traditionally reached the play offs and lost to a position of reaching the play offs and, er, losing. Couldn't motivate Chelsea's bigger players and their defence/ keeper were amusingly terrible the whole time.

Eddie Howe- another manager who supposedly makes his teams play exciting football, but also has a reputation for defensively weak sides. Croydon is a bit closer to home than Glasgow though, and at least Liverpool will be pleased if he returns to English football to sign all their unwanted dross for massive fees again. Smug- seems a good fit for CPFC.

Sean Dyche- another dislikable man who thus feels like he'd fit in well at a club of a similar stature and state of decrepitude to Burnley. Would work well with their existing collection of slow, clumsy but largely effective defenders, and his style of football is very much "as you were" for Palace, so it depends on the question already posed: do they prioritise style or safety? Maybe he'd bring Ashley Barnes and Dale Stephens with him :jester:

Chris Wilder- bit of a professional northerner and as per Dyche, perhaps his style isn't the break with tradition that Palace are supposedly after. But has always done well wherever he's gone until this season. However- has he been found out this year? You wonder if that's marked his card, given how bad the Blades have been.

Valerien Ismael- this would be an amazing leap if they went for him. Ex-Palace player. I watched the play off game between Barnsley and Swansea the other night and it was like a throwback to another era. They spent the entire game relentlessly twatting the ball high and long, to be chased by the eager lads up front while the rest of their team swarmed forward. They defend incredibly high up the pitch- not entirely sure Gary Cahill or the rest of Palace's clumsy centre halves could keep up with the pace. It's not a style they're entirely unaccustomed to at Selhurst, and potentially Benteke would have an absolute field day with it if he stays. But it's hard to imagine it working in the Premier League beyond the odd game. Probably the one against us, to be fair :rolleyes:

Good analysis! Howe would seem the best option (albeit a bit risky given smug Eddie's penchant for playing decent football). But it looks like he's almost certainly going to Celtic (can't sign anything until after Bournemouth's season ends, otherwise he'd lose his gardening leave payment, apparently). Dyche, Wilder and Ismael all play hoofball to varying degrees, so would suit Palace's style. Of those, Dyche would be the safe pair of hands, so hopefully he won't be tempted.

Big call for Palace....I'm genuinely quite interested in who they go for, and how it pans out.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
part time punditry

God no. He sends me to sleep.

Saying that, that interveiew he did a few years ago where the outtake was on social media has to be the best manager interview ever

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here