Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] His Majesty King Charles

How would you rate King Charles' first year as King?

Results are only viewable after voting.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Purely hypothetical question for Crodo and other ardent supporters of the monarchy on NSC.

If it turned out that King Charles wasn't the actual Royal bloodline (because there's never been any infidelity in Royal circles through the centuries) and it was proven that Reg from Stoke was the true King of Britain, would you immediately turn your support to Reg or remain supporting Chas ???

And get well soon to Charles and Catherine.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Purely hypothetical question for Crodo and other ardent supporters of the monarchy on NSC.

If it turned out that King Charles wasn't the actual Royal bloodline (because there's never been any infidelity in Royal circles through the centuries) and it was proven that Reg from Stoke was the true King of Britain, would you immediately turn your support to Reg or remain supporting Chas ???

No (not that I'm a monarchist)

There already is a Stuart pretender - another German.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Jul 7, 2003

Have you been watching King Ralph again?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Thanks for that about the jacobites, I wasn't aware :thumbsup:

And is that No to supporting Reg ? You'd continue to support Charles as King even if, by the rules that define monarchy, he wasn't the King ? Interesting predicament.

I wouldn't support Reg or Charles - although the alternatives to a constitutional monarchy seem to be even worse. Having a king seems fairly harmless by comparison to some heads of state in republics.

“That the capital and grand author of our troubles, the person of the King, by whose commissions, commands or procurement, and in whose behalf, and for whose interest only, of will and power, all our wars and troubles have been, with all the miseries attending them, may be speedily brought to justice for the treason, blood and mischief he is therein guilty of.”
Remonstrance of the Army, 16 November 1648

Somebody somewhere did once show that almost everyone in England is descended from Edward III somehow, so maybe we all take in turns to be king for a day.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I have to disagree with your first paragraph in the time honoured fashion… bollocks.
Very fair. I assume you haven’t read it recently. The decline is alarming and saddening paralleling (in my view) the decline of the BBC as a reliable informative and trustworthy news source.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
So who is going to be putting their finger up the royal arse?

And will they both enjoy the experience?

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Is there a reason that every country needs to have a head of state, whether that being a monarchy or republic?
I was thinking that any man/woman is equal in the eyes of God.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Very fair. I assume you haven’t read it recently. The decline is alarming and saddening paralleling (in my view) the decline of the BBC as a reliable informative and trustworthy news source.
These days I don’t read it every day, but I always have the Times on Saturday and Sunday and probably buy it on two other days a week.
I’ve always found it pretty measured in its approach and consider it a centre right publication that is not afraid of criticising this awful Government. I gave up reading the Telegraph quite a few years ago, because of its lopsided coverage of politics, and because it isn’t behind a paywall, I read a few of the Guardian online articles, which I have to say, I very often disagree with.
Anyway, each to their own.👍

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
So who is going to be putting their finger up the royal arse?

And will they both enjoy the experience?

When I had mine checked the doctor said 'It's quite normal to get an erection during this'
I said I haven't got one.
He said 'I know but I have' :wink:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
It amuses me when some people categorise folk a certain way by the newspapers they read. I have some Daily Mail reading friends who are good, decent people and know some Guardian readers who are complete turds.

When I lived in the USA I was a New York Times reading East Coast Liberal and had some really good friends who were Trump supporting Republicans but again they were really decent people who you could always rely on in an emergency.

Things are never black and white, they are always a bit more nuanced.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
These days I don’t read it every day, but I always have the Times on Saturday and Sunday and probably buy it on two other days a week.
I’ve always found it pretty measured in its approach and consider it a centre right publication that is not afraid of criticising this awful Government. I gave up reading the Telegraph quite a few years ago, because of its lopsided coverage of politics, and because it isn’t behind a paywall, I read a few of the Guardian online articles, which I have to say, I very often disagree with.
The Times and Sunday Times are owned by Rupert Murdoch, as is the Sun. It caters for a higher reading age, but about as accurate.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I rate him highly (9) he has good intentions, that doesn't mean I wouldn't opt for a Republic if given the choice.

The whole thing is ridiculous, we're obsessed with deference, we're groomed.

Beggars belief countries like Australia still have a British Royal as their head of state.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
King Charles 3 He’s doing ok and it’s certainly better than any other options for head of state.

I hate the idea of a public vote for President the British electorate after thinking Brexit was such a good idea could easily make another a disastrous decision and make a clown like Boris Presiden.

No having having a constitutional monarchy is the safest option at least the poor sap whose born into the job will be trained for the role hopefully years and years before they actually get the gig.

What bothers me is its the cost to the public purse in todays world

By comparison in Denmark the new monarch signed an acceptable form in from of the PM who then steps out onto her balcony and proclaims the new king,……… that’s it job done …………..no huge street parties, no coronation, no marching bands, no fly overs, no making of new crowns the list goes on.
Not just Denmark all the Scandinavian Royals have jobs alongside royal duties but their cost to the tax payers must be a tiny fraction of our Royal family for example what on earth does Andrew do these days now he’s no longer doing any official duties I guess pretty much like he always did flying all over the world looking for young totty

What we need is a whole new society and wouldn’t it be brilliant if King Charles started the transion to a much smaller far less costly Royal family

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
What bothers me is its the cost to the public purse in todays world
What about the amount of money they generate? I would imagine it dwarfs their cost?

They generate 5x their cost according to this Independent report.

"While the average annual cost for UK taxpayers in royal upkeep comes to around £500m a year, Brand Finance estimates the monarchy’s brand contributes £2.5bn to the British economy in the same timeframe."

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
What about the amount of money they generate? I would imagine it dwarfs their cost?

They generate 5x their cost according to this Independent report.

"While the average annual cost for UK taxpayers in royal upkeep comes to around £500m a year, Brand Finance estimates the monarchy’s brand contributes £2.5bn to the British economy in the same timeframe."

Brand Finances claim has been dissected and debunked in detail in Graham Smith's book. The short answer - Its disingenuous number salad bollocks. The entire first chapter covers the theory of the windsor's being essential to the tourist economy.

Rough extracts below give the initial gist.

Attachments

• BF1.jpg
    BF1.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 22
  • BF2.jpg
    BF2.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 19

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
One of the great sadnesses in life is having to give up my daily tryst with the Telegraph crossword but the paper has become unreadable/unbuyable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here