Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hillsborough disaster - nineteen years ago today

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Apparently Benitez and Rick Parry are attending a memorial today.
Not to belittle it of course, but whats the significance of the 19th anniversary ? 20th yes, but 19th ? Do they do this every year ?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Not to belittle it of course, but whats the significance of the 19th anniversary ? 20th yes, but 19th ? Do they do this every year ?

i believe they do

i went to the 10th one when it was in half term. i was only 11, but can still remember to this day how AMAZING it was sitting on the kop and singing you'll never walk alone in a brighton shirt, with all the players sitting in with the fans

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
That must have been pretty amazing, even for a non-Liverpool fan, that song sends a shiver down the spine.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm sure that will be high on the agenda at the memorial today Das Reich.

:rolleyes:

Dandyman

In London village.
some of the blame lies with liverpool fans as with Heysal ime afraid

Care to expand on that?

As far as I can see fences, inept policing and a culture of viewing fans as a security risk rather than as a supporters whose health & safety should have been paramount caused the deaths.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
In fairness I can see where Das Reich is coming from. There was a culmination of errors on that day that led to the disaster - one of which was thousands of fans pushing their way into the ground because the game had kicked off.

But the memorial service is to remember and pay respect to the dead. Its not to rake up blame and rancour.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Has anyone else just got a message from Football Fans Census apologising saying:

"Dear Brighton fan

Whatever ones views on standing it was not appropriate for us to send our last email on the anniversary of the Hillsbrough tragedy.

It was a genuine mistake and we apologise unreservedly to anyone to whom it has caused offence.

Many thanks for your support

The FFC Team"

Someone is going to get fired for that!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
"Why didn't they give us the big end when they knew we had more supporters? Why?" Quality track by Liverpool hip hop act 25th of May

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Has anyone else just got a message from Football Fans Census apologising saying:

"Dear Brighton fan

Whatever ones views on standing it was not appropriate for us to send our last email on the anniversary of the Hillsbrough tragedy.

It was a genuine mistake and we apologise unreservedly to anyone to whom it has caused offence.

Many thanks for your support

The FFC Team"

Someone is going to get fired for that!
Only a scouser would call for some bloke to be fired for a genuine mistake which was apologised for appropriately.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0100regionalnews/tm_headline=former-players-read-lessons-at-emotional-hillsborough-service26method=full%26objectid=20766916%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

Former players read lessons at emotional Hillsborough service
Apr 15 2008

FORMER footballers Brian Hall and Gary Ablett led commemorations at today’s 19th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster service.

Brian Hall gave a reading from St Paul's letter to the Romans and Gary Ablett read 1 Corinthians chapter 15 verses 51-57.

It was also announced that the Liverpool FC and Celtic FC teams that played days after the Hillsborough tragedy will play a benefit match at Anfield on the 20th anniversary of the disaster.

Phil Hammond, chairman of the Hillsborough Family Support Group, announced the decision during today’s memorial service held in The Kop.

He said: "The money raised will be split between HFSG and Marina Dalgleish Cancer Unit Appeal and will be played on, or about, April 19 next year."

He said the fixture would feature as many of the 1989 first teams of both clubs as possible.

About 6,000 fans applauded the announcement which came at the end of an emotional service.

Also read this (too long to post the text)....
icLiverpool - Hillsborough: A survivor's story

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here