Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hilary Benn

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Remember what happened the last time the Labour Party split? It didn't win power for a generation. No, the leadership needs to stop the bullying and fast. It needs to come up with some policies and ideas which broaden its appeal, making a persuasive case for Labour. A split would be a disaster.

Agreed. But the backbenchers (and some cabinet members) have got to stop sniping at Corbyn. The bullying attacks on pro-bombing MPs are disgraceful but so are the secret briefings and press leaks against the leader. Corbyn is protected by a hefty majority and is going nowhere, the MPs have to realise that and look for a way they can work as a single party. As Benjamin Franklin said, they must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, they shall all hang separately

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Is bombing them the only way to intervene? I'm not for ignoring the problem, not at all. I think that they clearly are a significant risk and the time has come to intervene, no question about that - but bombing them and to hell with the actual consequences? I can't support that, not for any idealistic reasons but because it isn't clear what exactly the long term plan is, if there even is one. Or have the MPs rushed into this so foolheartedly that the plan will be made up as it goes along.

We aren't bombing them. We are bombing targets, such as the oilfields and pipeline. This cuts off their supply of oil and finance.
The RAF have already been bombing in Iraq and not lost any civilian lives.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Remember what happened the last time the Labour Party split? It didn't win power for a generation. No, the leadership needs to stop the bullying and fast. It needs to come up with some policies and ideas which broaden its appeal, making a persuasive case for Labour. A split would be a disaster.

The problem is that those that elect the leader are mainly the members and those that actually take up membership are more than likely to be those that lean further to the left and, ergo, see Corbyn as the ideal man. He will never win a general election because you can't win just by appealing to your own members. You need to get on board a massive chunk of the electorate that sit in the middle ground.

Labour can go down the route that is hard left but they will guarantee they will remain in opposition for a vast number of years. Campbell and Blair realized that hence the New Labour. They might not have appealed to the hard left but they gained power for 13 years and it is only with power that you can actually change things.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
So whose side are we on? Cameron mentioned 50,000 Syria Free Army that are fighting IS but are the opposition to Assad who is backed by Russia. He also mentioned 20,000 Kurds who are fighting IS in Iraq but are being bombed by Turkey.
Does this mean we are allies with Russia and Turkey or against them?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So whose side are we on? Cameron mentioned 50,000 Syria Free Army that are fighting IS but are the opposition to Assad who is backed by Russia. He also mentioned 20,000 Kurds who are fighting IS in Iraq but are being bombed by Turkey.
Does this mean we are allies with Russia and Turkey or against them?

Both. That's the absurdity of it all.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Has Sir Humphrey Appleby come out of retirement?

Because this bombing campaign has "Something must be done. This is something. This must be done." written all over it.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Agreed. But the backbenchers (and some cabinet members) have got to stop sniping at Corbyn. The bullying attacks on pro-bombing MPs are disgraceful but so are the secret briefings and press leaks against the leader. Corbyn is protected by a hefty majority and is going nowhere, the MPs have to realise that and look for a way they can work as a single party. As Benjamin Franklin said, they must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, they shall all hang separately

The anti Corbyn voices won't be going away in a hurry, the last few days have proved that. After all, these MPs have their seats to win back, and those in marginals sure as hell won't hold them if Corbyn remains leader.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Agreed. I am just concerned we are sleep-walking into WW3

Of course that is a concern but it hasn't happened following other wars, Korean, Vietnam, Iraq 1, Iraq 2, Afghanistan. Isis, Daesh or whatever is politically correct to call them, are the main threat to our way of life so they are the priority. Bombing targets in Syria and Iraq is just one element. Behind the scenes diplomacy is no doubt going on, whether with the Russians, Turks or Saudis.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The problem is that those that elect the leader are mainly the members and those that actually take up membership are more than likely to be those that lean further to the left and, ergo, see Corbyn as the ideal man. He will never win a general election because you can't win just by appealing to your own members. You need to get on board a massive chunk of the electorate that sit in the middle ground.

Labour can go down the route that is hard left but they will guarantee they will remain in opposition for a vast number of years. Campbell and Blair realized that hence the New Labour. They might not have appealed to the hard left but they gained power for 13 years and it is only with power that you can actually change things.

Good point. With that power they affected so much change didn't they. Well worth selling out for I suppose just so they could implement all they really believed in once in power. I mean, the list is quite exhaustive isn't it:

The ever widening gap in wealth inequality - halted and put into reverse.

Public utilities - taken away from profit led private shareholders and foreign owners and re-nationalised for the benefit of the people.

Public services - massive improvements across the board.

Manufacturing industry - restored to former glories.

Financial service sector - reigned in from being a law unto themselves and doing as they please.

Living wage? - tick.

Bonuses and CEO's obscene pay rises - all effectively dealt with.

The complete mess that has been Housing for the past 40 odd years - Sorted! More homes built than ever, affordable for all too. Housing benefit bill to the tax payer massively reduced due to supply meeting demand, especially in terms of social housing, and curbs on the buy to let market and rent caps.

I could probably go on but I haven't got all night.

Yes, Hurray for New Labour! See what they did there once in power! :clap:...........................Oh :(

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Agreed. I am just concerned we are sleep-walking into WW3

There was a dodgy moment when the Russian jet was shot down, but that has mostly blown over, and it showed that none of the major players view the stakes are high enough to take things too far.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
There was a dodgy moment when the Russian jet was shot down, but that has mostly blown over, and it showed that none of the major players view the stakes are high enough to take things too far.

I wonder if Daesh see Turkey as a potential next target? I don't believe our actions will do much to them, but say if we are successful in hitting their income streams, they may feel the need to slip across the border. I've been wondering a lot what I would do, if I were in their position. :shrug: I certainly wouldn't be hanging around in Raqqa, would have buggered off from there weeks ago, probably spread through Mosul to make it political suicide for any nation to attack.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Good point. With that power they affected so much change didn't they. Well worth selling out for I suppose just so they could implement all they really believed in once in power. I mean, the list is quite exhaustive isn't it:

The ever widening gap in wealth inequality - halted and put into reverse.

Public utilities - taken away from profit led private shareholders and foreign owners and re-nationalised for the benefit of the people.

Public services - massive improvements across the board.

Manufacturing industry - restored to former glories.

Financial service sector - reigned in from being a law unto themselves and doing as they please.

Living wage? - tick.

Bonuses and CEO's obscene pay rises - all effectively dealt with.

The complete mess that has been Housing for the past 40 odd years - Sorted! More homes built than ever, affordable for all too. Housing benefit bill to the tax payer massively reduced due to supply meeting demand, especially in terms of social housing, and curbs on the buy to let market and rent caps.

I could probably go on but I haven't got all night.

Yes, Hurray for New Labour! See what they did there once in power! :clap:...........................Oh :(

And of course the everything is wonderful under the Tories, who, of course, never change.

Under New Labour, a decline in the NHS was reversed. Minimum wage introduced, etc etc. I could go on but I haven't got all night!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here