Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Hi-Res streaming + wireless connectivity to another room

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I can can barely tell the difference between 16bit and 24bit, even with bins. However, and you’re going to hate me for saying this, the difference between MQA and either 16 or 24bit is startling. It’s much more open and the detail (eg breathing, fretting, or sizzle on cymbals) is crystal clear.

Tidal - meh. I still have it, but only for three reasons: a bigger MQA library; I like many of the playlists; I get a 50% discount. If any one of those weren’t there, I’d ditch it. Qobuz? Meh, with no redeeming features, imo. Primephonic - just by far the best for classical - but still not native in BluOS. Grrr.

Thanks for the response. Really interesting about your experience of MQA. If you can barely hear the difference between 16 and 24 bit, as I would expect, then I assume the MQA decoding you're getting through your set up is giving you at least 24/96 quality at a minimum and possibly all the way up to 24/192? It's nice that you're getting a full appreciation of MQA. I'm not completely up to speed with all the technology involved with the unpacking processes and dedicated MQA DAC's etc, and I'm not sure my budget would stretch to chasing the MQA route anyway. So I'll probably stick with the 16 bit I'm getting with Deezer and am very happy with.

When it comes to redeeming features for Qobuz. From testing out their app, I really like their liner notes. Has a real music collectors feel to it, and general lay out seems nice. I like their label features too. But their slightly limited library compared to Deezer and Tidal, plus the fact that I don't need 24 bit 'hi res' over 16 bit means I'll probably not choose them. Although I see it can be had for £12.50 a month if paid in an annual lump sum, which is very tempting. If it's library matched that of Deezer and Tidal, I'd take that I think as best bang for my buck.

Not sure I can say this. Tidal are offering four months subscription for £4. Look out for the pop up ads. Have just signed up.

Yes, hence why I was saying about trying Tidal. At one point they even had 4 months trial for £1.99, but I missed out on that. I'm getting 3 months completely free trial of Deezer hifi at the moment, which I'm really enjoying to the fullest. Probably a no brainer for me at some point, before I make my mind up on continuing with Deezer, to give that Tidal 4 months offer a try to compare sound quality, useability and library with Deezer.

Would you mind reporting back your initial thoughts on Tidal here please at some point? I'd be interested to hear what you make of it.

Not if you share an account with the kids in your family. Flow plays all manner of shit* for me.

(* - stuff my kids listen to)

Lol. I know what you mean. I let one of our eldest listen back to J.Cole's - Born Sinner - album as a flac on my hifi to see how it compared to his mp3 on Spotify. Big mistake! Flow thought I liked all that Niggas, bitches and hoes shit and started shoving some more J. Cole on my 'Flow' before it finally got my message after hitting the do not suggest this artist again button on several occasions.

I won't be letting anyone else near my streaming account again as a result.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I've just ordered a Naim ND5 XS 2 streamer to put in to my separates system. I'll probably use Tidal eventually. Won't yet as someone has bought me a year's subscription to Spotify. I'll go Premium and go from there. I'll let you know the results.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Been reading What Hi-Fi on this Roon stuff.

Anyone used it?

Roon.JPG

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've just ordered a Naim ND5 XS 2 streamer to put in to my separates system. I'll probably use Tidal eventually. Won't yet as someone has bought me a year's subscription to Spotify. I'll go Premium and go from there. I'll let you know the results.

Have you auditioned the Naim JS? I ask because a friend had a Naim set up years ago and, although lovely with certain kinds of music, it sounded very detailed and revealing but almost a bit clinical to my ears. Not a set up favouring the Heavyweight sounds that Aba Shanti like to spin and that I know you're partial to :) That was a long time ago though, and I'm by no means saying the sound was 'bad'. I know Naim have had a solid reputation for donkey's years, and you certainly don't pay that money and get rubbish, but just a thought knowing your love of heavy dub in particular.

Talking of sound quality. I still get a lot of joy out of all the mp3's of your reggae collection that you kindly put on my old Archos. Also with playing the cassettes on various old machines at work. That is definitely a case of sod the sound quality, it's all about the music and the memories :thumbsup:

It will be interesting to hear how you get on going from Spotify MP3's (albeit 320's) to Tidal 'hi res' though. Especially as you'll be playing it over something as good as that Naim. Should be night and day I would have thought. Look forward to hearing how you get on.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Have you auditioned the Naim JS? I ask because a friend had a Naim set up years ago and, although lovely with certain kinds of music, it sounded very detailed and revealing but almost a bit clinical to my ears. Not a set up favouring the Heavyweight sounds that Aba Shanti like to spin and that I know you're partial to :) That was a long time ago though, and I'm by no means saying the sound was 'bad'. I know Naim have had a solid reputation for donkey's years, and you certainly don't pay that money and get rubbish, but just a thought knowing your love of heavy dub in particular.

Talking of sound quality. I still get a lot of joy out of all the mp3's of your reggae collection that you kindly put on my old Archos. Also with playing the cassettes on various old machines at work. That is definitely a case of sod the sound quality, it's all about the music and the memories :thumbsup:

It will be interesting to hear how you get on going from Spotify MP3's (albeit 320's) to Tidal 'hi res' though. Especially as you'll be playing it over something as good as that Naim. Should be night and day I would have thought. Look forward to hearing how you get on.
Hello FM. Hope all is well?
I've been umming and ahhing for ages about getting a streamer. I haven't had a decent front end for ages since I got rid of my Linn Sondek and Karik. I've just been pumping out the dread sounds with my Leema Toucana 2 amp through Monitor Audio Silver 6 speakers and Paradigm sub-woofer via You tube or TuneIn! A waste of amp and speakers without a really good front end which is why I've plumped for the Naim streamer. A friend who is well in to hi-fi has steered me in this direction. I was going to book an audition but due to the current situation, this is out of the question. I have not seen a bad review about the model I've ordered, and with my ears not as good as they used to be, I thought I'd just go for it - life's too short!
I've bought an ipad to control it with and got all the leads. Just need the streamer to arrive! I'm told they're sending it out next week.
I'll put a review on this thread if and when I can get it working!!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Hello FM. Hope all is well?
I've been umming and ahhing for ages about getting a streamer. I haven't had a decent front end for ages since I got rid of my Linn Sondek and Karik. I've just been pumping out the dread sounds with my Leema Toucana 2 amp through Monitor Audio Silver 6 speakers and Paradigm sub-woofer via You tube or TuneIn! A waste of amp and speakers without a really good front end which is why I've plumped for the Naim streamer. A friend who is well in to hi-fi has steered me in this direction. I was going to book an audition but due to the current situation, this is out of the question. I have not seen a bad review about the model I've ordered, and with my ears not as good as they used to be, I thought I'd just go for it - life's too short!
I've bought an ipad to control it with and got all the leads. Just need the streamer to arrive! I'm told they're sending it out next week.
I'll put a review on this thread if and when I can get it working!!

Apologies JS. After all this time I should have asked after you before rambling on. All ok there thanks. Hope all ok with you too.

Totally agree with you about our ears at our age. That's pretty much where I'm at with any difference between 16 and 24 bit. 16 bit is absolutely fine for me, and especially with the entry level equipment I have. Which leads me onto your Naim....you lucky so and so! I didn't mean to dismiss it in any way. I just jumped in with my memories of one particular Naim 'sound signature' and your known love of all things heavyweight sound wise. Ignore me :lol:

I'm tempted to start a seperate thread to hear people's experiences of the various streaming services and what makes them choose one over the other. I'm still enjoying this Deezer Hifi trial and think it might be the one I stay with, all things considered. I've had the odd track just stop half way through, but that's nearly always been when listening on the indoor hi fi and controlling with the Yamaha Music Cast app. So I'm going to hard wire the network amp to the router, instead of using wifi, to see if that helps.

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
I have my FLAC music (and films, and TV) stored on two large storage Drobos. I tend to get the highest quality HD I can get. Plays via a mac mini, dragonfly DAC and through my B&O music system, old but very good and with excellent speakers. Use a HDMI output to my TV to use as a monitor and video output. Library is organised using Plex which has a great interface. Have Tidal integrated with Plex and find it useful for stuff for my boys primarily. Cannot tell the difference between a HD music source on the Drobos or Tidal. Plays through Sonos in the bedrooms. I'm not sure that the quality is ever better than CD, as I've never got Plex set-up to do that, not sure it can. I'm happy with the set up. Any tweaks would be welcomed if there are any experts here (sounds like there may be). Cheers

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I have my FLAC music (and films, and TV) stored on two large storage Drobos. I tend to get the highest quality HD I can get. Plays via a mac mini, dragonfly DAC and through my B&O music system, old but very good and with excellent speakers. Use a HDMI output to my TV to use as a monitor and video output. Library is organised using Plex which has a great interface. Have Tidal integrated with Plex and find it useful for stuff for my boys primarily. Cannot tell the difference between a HD music source on the Drobos or Tidal. Plays through Sonos in the bedrooms. I'm not sure that the quality is ever better than CD, as I've never got Plex set-up to do that, not sure it can. I'm happy with the set up. Any tweaks would be welcomed if there are any experts here (sounds like there may be). Cheers

Sounds like you've got your set up sorted to me :thumbsup: A lot of that would be beyond me, re: plex etc, so no tweak suggestions from me.

I am interested on how you find the Dragonfly DAC though. What colour you got?

Portably I often listen to ripped flac files over my Cowon DAP and hifiman headphones. I'm very happy with that set up. Now that I've got a Deezer hifi sub though, I'm sometimes playing around with Deezer over the hifiman headphones. This is through an old Android phone ( I purposely didn't want a DAP with wifi etc). The sound isn't too bad, but I did consider a dragonfly DAC to improve it. I can't justify too much expense however, so would only go in at the Black to see if I do get an improvement in sound. Meanwhile, I stumbled across a few reviews of a cheap Chifi usb DAC called Lusya Fever. The reviews say it competes with the Dragonfly black, so at just under 20 quid I've taken a gamble. Fingers crossed now that it will work with the old Android phone I intend using it with. If it doesn't....I may play around with Deezer on the laptop through it instead.

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Sounds like you've got your set up sorted to me :thumbsup: A lot of that would be beyond me, re: plex etc, so no tweak suggestions from me.

I am interested on how you find the Dragonfly DAC though. What colour you got?

Portably I often listen to ripped flac files over my Cowon DAP and hifiman headphones. I'm very happy with that set up. Now that I've got a Deezer hifi sub though, I'm sometimes playing around with Deezer over the hifiman headphones. This is through an old Android phone ( I purposely didn't want a DAP with wifi etc). The sound isn't too bad, but I did consider a dragonfly DAC to improve it. I can't justify too much expense however, so would only go in at the Black to see if I do get an improvement in sound. Meanwhile, I stumbled across a few reviews of a cheap Chifi usb DAC called Lusya Fever. The reviews say it competes with the Dragonfly black, so at just under 20 quid I've taken a gamble. Fingers crossed now that it will work with the old Android phone I intend using it with. If it doesn't....I may play around with Deezer on the laptop through it instead.

Cheers for that. I got the Dragonfly when they first came out, so I think it's Black? Works a treat, I'm not surprised there are now cheaper alternatives (the Dragonfly was only £120?) as the technology is just a little dongle. I'm very pleased with it, although I have a feeling it can only output dynamically at CD quality and not higher? As I said, I always get the best quality music as I'm sure one day it'll catch up, or maybe it's Plex? Plex is highly recommended it's dirt cheap and has a great interface, also allows remote access so if I'm away (happier days....) I can use Plex as a remote media server. Introduced to me I believe by our Glorious Leader [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION].

Take care x

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Cheers for that. I got the Dragonfly when they first came out, so I think it's Black? Works a treat, I'm not surprised there are now cheaper alternatives (the Dragonfly was only £120?) as the technology is just a little dongle. I'm very pleased with it, although I have a feeling it can only output dynamically at CD quality and not higher? As I said, I always get the best quality music as I'm sure one day it'll catch up, or maybe it's Plex? Plex is highly recommended it's dirt cheap and has a great interface, also allows remote access so if I'm away (happier days....) I can use Plex as a remote media server. Introduced to me I believe by our Glorious Leader [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION].

Take care x

From what I can gather, the Dragonfly black can support files up to 24bit / 96khz. This Lusya Fever goes up to the same. I never listen beyond that anyway, and rarely even go up to that, sticking with cd quality 16bit / 44.1khz. Glad to hear you're happy with the Drangonfly results.

I briefly looked at what Plex is. I'm still pretty much new to streaming, still being happy with vinyl/cd and radio all this time. I got the impression Plex was a bit more AV orientated, and as TV and Film doesn't really interest me that much, I haven't explored further. Although I appreciate you can happily organise your music files over it too, from what I understand. But I don't stream anything wirelessly outside of one room, so again, not something I really need. Same with Roon. I read up a bit on it, but nothing there that I really need I don't think. I do find all this new technology and ways of listening to music quite interesting though.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I’ve got an old fashioned set up amp, pre amp and seventies record player with speakers. I’ve used an Arcam rBlink to stream Spotify and quite satisfied with the sound.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Apologies JS. After all this time I should have asked after you before rambling on. All ok there thanks. Hope all ok with you too.

Totally agree with you about our ears at our age. That's pretty much where I'm at with any difference between 16 and 24 bit. 16 bit is absolutely fine for me, and especially with the entry level equipment I have. Which leads me onto your Naim....you lucky so and so! I didn't mean to dismiss it in any way. I just jumped in with my memories of one particular Naim 'sound signature' and your known love of all things heavyweight sound wise. Ignore me :lol:

I'm tempted to start a seperate thread to hear people's experiences of the various streaming services and what makes them choose one over the other. I'm still enjoying this Deezer Hifi trial and think it might be the one I stay with, all things considered. I've had the odd track just stop half way through, but that's nearly always been when listening on the indoor hi fi and controlling with the Yamaha Music Cast app. So I'm going to hard wire the network amp to the router, instead of using wifi, to see if that helps.

All's very well thanks. Things should be even better when my streamer (Naim ND5 XS 2) actually arrives. It's been two weeks now since I've ordered it. Likewise, I'll be hard-wiring it straight from the router so that should help. I blame the hearing deterioration on listening to my music at rather loud levels at home for over 50 years, then there were the concerts!
I'll post on your other thread how it all pans out when I'm up and running. I'm assuming I haven't been scammed!!
Whilst on the subject, this is a cracking station;
https://tunein.com/radio/SomaFM-Heavyweight-Reggae-s308769/

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
All's very well thanks. Things should be even better when my streamer (Naim ND5 XS 2) actually arrives. It's been two weeks now since I've ordered it. Likewise, I'll be hard-wiring it straight from the router so that should help. I blame the hearing deterioration on listening to my music at rather loud levels at home for over 50 years, then there were the concerts!
I'll post on your other thread how it all pans out when I'm up and running. I'm assuming I haven't been scammed!!
Whilst on the subject, this is a cracking station;
https://tunein.com/radio/SomaFM-Heavyweight-Reggae-s308769/

Fingers crossed the Naim arrives soon. On the plus side, it increases the anticipation and excitement :)

I'll check that station out, thanks. My Yamaha has internet radio via V Tuner. My two reggae favourites on there are Alpha Boys School Radio, which you already know about, and Burning Rockers, which is mainly uk lovers rock and roots which is the sound I pretty much grew up with.

We're spoilt for choice these days when it comes to music. Certainly different times to what we grew up with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here