Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Henry Winter Top man

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Weird decision, he is an excellent writer. As is Martin Samuel - maybe that Times town wasn't big enough for the both of them ?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
HW inspired me, along with PH, to consider sports journalism when I was a teenager. I felt I’d never be good or quick enough in the end, but I admired their writing from early 90s onwards and used to analyse their style and structure. Astonished at this news, he’s been amongst if not the very best in his field for a generation. Ageism most likely I guess, happens in every field despite all the corporate HR bullshit.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Mr Winter is putting out more positive Albion messages today:

Staff at Brighton & Hove Albion are familiar with, and expected to adhere to, five specific values: “Treat People Well; Exceed Expectations; Aim High. Never Give Up; Act with Integrity; Make it Special”

(paywalled)
That’s 6 specific values. Says it all about that rag.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I saw the news earlier. Mostly the replies are what you'd expect, compliments on his work and attempts to rassure he'll not struggle for work. Sympathy and empathy. Then there was this one:

:facepalm:

EDIT for late comers - turns out the reply person is a parody. Supposedly famous, but a lot of the replies were as unaware as I was. Still seems poor taste to make a joke of someone losing their job, but to each their own

Last edited:

Jimmy Grimble

I saw the news earlier. Mostly the replies are what you'd expect, compliments on his work and attempts to rassure he'll not struggle for work. Sympathy and empathy. Then there was this one:

Parody account.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That’s 6 specific values. Says it all about that rag.
It's 5 specific values according to the club. They've had to shoehorn 6 into 5 to come up with TEAAM for their powerpoint presentations. TEANAM would have looked a bit rubbish 😄

Screenshot_20240411_060843_Chrome.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

That’s a wind up account. Twitter’s answer to Crodo. Have a look at his timeline.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Very sad. If The Athletic pick him up I might have to actually subscribe.

Presumably he no longer fitted in to Murdoch world.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Parody account.

That’s a wind up account. Twitter’s answer to Crodo. Have a look at his timeline.

It’s a well known parody account
Thanks!

I guess 'well known' is subjective. I don't usually venture into replies (twitter experience is much better if you don't), so going further than that would be an even bigger stretch for me. Even as a joke, seems a little poor taste.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Thanks!

I guess 'well known' is subjective. I don't usually venture into replies (twitter experience is much better if you don't), so going further than that would be an even bigger stretch for me. Even as a joke, seems a little poor taste.
Big fan of PussymanDan. One of the most bizarre and committed parody accounts. Never strays from the character, always on brand. Real commitment to the bit.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's 5 specific values according to the club. They've had to shoehorn 6 into 5 to come up with TEAAM for their powerpoint presentations. TEANAM would have looked a bit rubbish 😄

View attachment 180282
If they split it to six, and added another...they could reorder them, for a section of our fanbase...

Treat people well
Exceed expectations
Never give up
Aim high

Make it special
Act with integrity
No bottle tops

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

I saw that. Some people are SO weird. [Edit} Just seen it's a parody

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Very sad. If The Athletic pick him up I might have to actually subscribe.

Presumably he no longer fitted in to Murdoch world.
Friend in the industry seems to think it's all about wages - he was allegedly on an eye-watering amount of money when he joined the Times 9 years ago. With The Athletic prizing a younger cohort of journalists away from traditional media covering a wider spread of teams, the demand for the old guard to write across the whole of football for print on a regular basis is dwindling. Still lots of demand for books though, which is where the likes of Winter will make their money, alongside an abundance of freelance work.

Saying all of that, I'm quite surprised that The Times didn't keep Winter on until the end of the Euros. His access to the England national team is almost unrivalled.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here