Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Henning - The expected sad news.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Are you mentally ill...? The IS control huge towns, cities, oil depots etc etc in Iraq....you talk as if they are living in a Bedouin tent in the desert.

He has a point, though. They can't be beaten in a traditional war. They may lose control of the cities and the oil depots but they will just disappear into the general population and keep fighting. That's one thing we've definitely learned from Iraq and Afghanistan. Oh for the good old days when a war meant you fought until one of the sides surrendered.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Tonight i'm not bothered on what should happen, why some people think they know what should be done etc.
A man has been brutally butchered today, a man that was trying to help people that are being targeted by their own, a man that has been murdered and was in no way involved with the fighting.
RIP Alan Henning.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
R.I.P. Alan Henning, a compassionate man who tried to do the right thing.

I have read all the posts on this thread and I think the answer to these savages is an amalgamation of a lot of them. First, stop their money supply, stop anyone from buying their oil, build a strong coalition of nations against them, including Russia, China, and America, as well as the Gulf States. I realise that this will not be easy, but this is potentially the biggest world problem since the end of the Cold War. Saudi Arabia, Quatar, and the other Sunni Moslem countries must use what influence they have to neutralise the hatred these barbarians engender, and stop giving them funds and succour. Now the sweetener for the Moslem countries must be America and other involved parties finally sorting out the Israel/Palestinian problem, because only when that is solved will there be any chance of peace in the Middle East.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I've been following Canon Andrew White who is the vicar of St Georges in Baghdad. The ISIS militants got within 10 miles but were pushed back to 20 miles by Iraqi troops.
http://news.sky.com/story/1344506/baghdad-hits-crisis-point-amid-is-threat

Thanks for that article....I certainly wouldn't want to be a Westerner in Baghdad right now.

The news from there recently is ominous and the quote by the Iraqi soldier about ditching his uniform and running if IS got any closer if a frightening thought. I can see Baghdad collapsing like a pack of cards.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Trouble is that cutting the money off involves going head to head with some politically powerful and oil rich allies. My guess is that this mess is such a huge political mess that everybodies hands are tied. What this needs is our decision makers making decision based on what is morally right rather than economically right.

This shit will go on and on. As you say no-one really knows what is going on. What we do know is that war is very beneficial to many of the main protagonists.

Don't they say that war is good for business?

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
Who ever we support were still going against these people it won t stop them hating the west far to late for that now this terrorism has been going on for decades and decades

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
It is times like this when my opposition to capital punishment is tested to the extreme. That said an early exit to 'glory' is what these people are proud of. I think the rest of their life in solitary misery is more fitting.
You are so right.

We should medically prolong their life as long as possible but at the same time make it so mind numbingly boring that they lose their marbles. Imagine mediaeval times, manacles, walls, gruel and fifty years of keeping you alive, no virgins either, death would be much preferable.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
He has a point, though. They can't be beaten in a traditional war. They may lose control of the cities and the oil depots but they will just disappear into the general population and keep fighting. That's one thing we've definitely learned from Iraq and Afghanistan. Oh for the good old days when a war meant you fought until one of the sides surrendered.

I,m sorry, but he doesn't have a point at all. His suggestion is that the west stays out completely. This will result in Iraq , Syria etc etc coming under the strictest Sharia law and all that that entails. IS will not stop there. Turkey will most surely be on their list....then what....? Remember that Iraq ..and to a degree Syria has specifically requested help from the the West. They know full well that without us...they are as good as dead.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You are so right.

We should medically prolong their life as long as possible but at the same time make it so mind numbingly boring that they lose their marbles. Imagine mediaeval times, manacles, walls, gruel and fifty years of keeping you alive, no virgins either, death would be much preferable.
There are ways to deny them their perfect death, such as being killed by a woman (female pilots) or contact with pigs. Apparently one leader fighting Islamic forces captured several of them, dipped the bullets in pigs blood before putting them before a firing squad.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I,m sorry, but he doesn't have a point at all. His suggestion is that the west stays out completely. This will result in Iraq , Syria etc etc coming under the strictest Sharia law and all that that entails. IS will not stop there. Turkey will most surely be on their list....then what....? Remember that Iraq ..and to a degree Syria has specifically requested help from the the West. They know full well that without us...they are as good as dead.

I agree with you, I wasn't agreeing to his whole point (which you would realise if you'd read my other posts), simply the one about ISIS not being a regular opponent. It would be another fight against guerrilla warfare - horrible, but it has to be done.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, we cannot abandon the good people (and there are many of them) of Turkey and Iran to their fate. Almost 70 years ago we were faced with an enemy that would die rather than surrender. Since we bombed Nagasaki and Hiroshima, Japan has behaved perfectly well in the international scheme of things. I know it will cost innocent lives, dying for the greater good, but the time has come for the same treatment on the parts of Iraq and Syria infested by this (supposedly) human cancer.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I agree with you, I wasn't agreeing to his whole point (which you would realise if you'd read my other posts), simply the one about ISIS not being a regular opponent. It would be another fight against guerrilla warfare - horrible, but it has to be done.

Yes, I do agree with you and like it or not, I don't see an end to this conflict without 'boots on the ground'. The biggest problem is that today in the West, whether to go to war is decided by oil and most all....how many body bags can the public tolerate. The long term future...or the moral rights and wrongs are way down the list of importance.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, we cannot abandon the good people (and there are many of them) of Turkey and Iran to their fate. Almost 70 years ago we were faced with an enemy that would die rather than surrender. Since we bombed Nagasaki and Hiroshima, Japan has behaved perfectly well in the international scheme of things. I know it will cost innocent lives, dying for the greater good, but the time has come for the same treatment on the parts of Iraq and Syria infested by this (supposedly) human cancer.

....and sorry, I was trying to type this before, but my computer was playing up.....the trade off for the Arab nations is for the US to tell Israel that it has its boundaries - and there they will stay. Any land grabbing outside there is illegal (settlements to be given up) - coupled with Palestine becoming an internationally recognised free state, nothing to do with Israel, and no business of their's either - and the independence of both guaranteed by both the US and the other Arab states.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

It is a frightening thought.

We can't beat them by conventional methods. As has been seen in the recent Israili/Palestine conflict, the general public will not tolerate bombing buildings with 'innocent' people inside.

I have to say I think it will take a far , far greater input from the Muslims in the western world to help convince the various Jihadis not to assist their savage brethren in the Middle East....but I don't see that happening either.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
....and sorry, I was trying to type this before, but my computer was playing up.....the trade off for the Arab nations is for the US to tell Israel that it has its boundaries - and there they will stay. Any land grabbing outside there is illegal (settlements to be given up) - coupled with Palestine becoming an internationally recognised free state, nothing to do with Israel, and no business of their's either - and the independence of both guaranteed by both the US and the other Arab states.

If everyone was this reasonable..............

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World

I was wondering when Israel would be mentioned and brought into the equation! Well, at least Israel can't be blamed for Alan Henning's death!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I was wondering when Israel would be mentioned and brought into the equation! Well, at least Israel can't be blamed for Alan Henning's death!
You sure about that? Not some sort of pro-Israeli extremist, are you? There would be a lot less trouble in the middle east if that lot weren't stuck in the middle of it (and yes, I know about Dachau and all that, and I do think it was fair that the Jews were given a homeland - but Geez - talk about bad neighbours!)

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
RIP Alan, the good always seem to suffer, and sympathy to the family. There was never going to be another outcome though was there..

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
RIP Alan, the good always seem to suffer, and sympathy to the family. There was never going to be another outcome though was there..

No, there wasn't sadly.

However, was surprised to hear on the BBC just now, two eminent Muslim spokesmen express their shock that the IS had actually carried out their threat...extraordinary. I,m not sure what planet they were on.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here