Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Henman . . .F*cking pathetic

Knightsworld

Aug 19, 2003
WSU, just below the seagull.
As some one posted Henman is a good player i believe he has won 11 ATP tournaments in his time(thanks talk sport!).

The weight of expectancy on him during Wimbledon fortnight is huge.

At the end of the day it was just another bad day at the office.

We all have them.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
Pavilionaire said:

I see Henman role as the forerunner of better players to come - if he opens the door as Bjorn Borg did in Sweden then he will have done a lot of good.

Except that Borg won 5 straight Wimbledons and 6 French Opens as opposed to struggling to a quarter-final every year. At least Rusedski got to a final for fux sake.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
Bald Gull said:
Sorry, didn't realise you were so good at tennis. You clearly know what you're talking about...

Well, I did used to grind out wins on a regular basis at the public courts opposite the Goldstone in Hove Park against my mate Justin for the first two weeks of the summer hols for at least three years running in the late 70s/early 80s, so I'm no slouch;)

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
instead of grass or clay,couldnt they have a snooker cloth surface,thats the only thing we are good at,a bit sad really.
i still think Henman gets unfair stick though because he is out there on his own and the whole country is relying on him.if he had a couple of 20 year olds to deflect the attention i think it might help him.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
zefarelly said:
what is wrong with the guy ? why can't he play a consistent tournament, or even a match ! theres no doubting the guy has the ability to play a great game of tennis on his day, but he is absolutely spineless on a far more consistent basis.

I blame the parents :D

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I dont really like tennis, but of course I want HENman to win. However, as someone who isn't really fussed, i've now given up on him.

All you EVER hear is how he ALMOST did it...how CLOSE he came. He was born a looser.

Dr Schnell

Aug 20, 2003
Bald Gull said:
great post??? NOT!!

He has single-handedly carried British tennis for near enough the last ten years. He's a bloody good player, just not the very best in the world.

He certainly isn't gutless. It's just typical that everyone remembers the matches that he loses rather than the ones he wins. Did you watch any of the Philippoussis match? On numerous occasions in matches, he has been break points down and come up with a huge second serve to save the game - hardly gutless.

It pisses me off when people knock someone who has done so much for the sport over here considering the LTA have done such a shit job at nurturing talent.

In 5 years time, when our top ranked player is No: 452 in the world (like the women's game recently), I feel that all the Henman knockers may have a different view of him...

Bald Gull you seem to be a devoted, perhaps even obsessed, Henmaniac. Don't care what you say still think he's a gutless turd

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Dr Schnell said:
Bald Gull you seem to be a devoted, perhaps even obsessed, Henmaniac. Don't care what you say still think he's a gutless turd

Bugger off Schnell. Was waiting for you to put your two pennies worth in...

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Pathetic? Loser?

That is the description of British players who go out in the first round not someone who is consistently in the top ten of world tennis.

Not good enough to win the top prizes, yes but not a loser or pathetic.

The British press building up everyone's expectations again and people delighting in putting others down is a better description of this thread.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yorkie said:
Pathetic? Loser?

That is the description of British players who go out in the first round not someone who is consistently in the top ten of world tennis.

Not good enough to win the top prizes, yes but not a loser or pathetic.

The British press building up everyone's expectations again and people delighting in putting others down is a better description of this thread.
Spot on. And as I mentioned earlier unlike the football we've no one else to blame, so instead of just accepting the fact he's good but not good enough we have to come down on him like a ton of bricks and accuse of him of being pathetic, a choker and a loser. (Yes I know he lost and is therefore a 'loser' but I was using the word in it's wider context). Good try again Tim, they'll miss you when you've gone.

(Still think he's a toffee-nosed snob though. And I bet he listens to Cliff Richard.)

fatbadger said:
Has Henman been shagging his PA, too?:eek:

If only he would, it might make him remotely interesting.

By the way, I'm afraid the Bjorn Borg parallel doesn't work, the Swedes took advantage of his success by putting in place a tennis development programme that involved provision of all-weather courts and coaching for ordinary youngsters rather then the British development model of providing snob-filled tennis clubs for a few Home Counties Hoorays.

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
London Irish said:
If only he would, it might make him remotely interesting.

By the way, I'm afraid the Bjorn Borg parallel doesn't work, the Swedes took advantage of his success by putting in place a tennis development programme that involved provision of all-weather courts and coaching for ordinary youngsters rather then the British development model of providing snob-filled tennis clubs for a few Home Counties Hoorays.

Bloody Scandinavians, and their do-good, smartarse, liberal, pinko ideas about egalitarianism. I bet hardly any of them even read the Daily Mail, far less clench their fist unconvincingly while failing to achieve their professional goals. Tsk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here