Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hemed to Reading?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
A lot of people are making this assessment of Tomer not being good enough for the Premier League, either because they just 'presume' he won't be, or based on that one performance against Manchest er City.

The truth of the matter is that none of us know yet, and won't know until/unless he plays a good few more games. Unfortunately it seems unlikely that he will get the chance to do that. seems unlikely

He's shown over the last two years that he's not better than Championship standard. He was in a very good team for two years and one hot streak aside, he's toiled away. He's very average at Championship standard and certainly not Premier League quality.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
The thing that made Hemed 'tick' was playing alongside Baldock. It's no coincidence that when Baldock was injured the goals seemingly dried up for our forwards. I'd like to see Hemed paired with a pacey striker again before writing him off at this level.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
He's shown over the last two years that he's not better than Championship standard. He was in a very good team for two years and one hot streak aside, he's toiled away. He's very average at Championship standard and certainly not Premier League quality.

That's just crap though .

He played in the championship and proved he was capable of playing top end and averaging better than 1/3 when not even being the main man .

He's now a chance to step up and he may do it . He hasn't proven he can't at all .

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The thing that made Hemed 'tick' was playing alongside Baldock. It's no coincidence that when Baldock was injured the goals seemingly dried up for our forwards. I'd like to see Hemed paired with a pacey striker again before writing him off at this level.

With respect he didn't play alongside baldock for Israel or in la liga where he has proven himself . There are other formulas that will work .

Lot of disrespect shown for tomer and it's not great . If we can get big money and obviously improve team then all good but some people just have the knives out .

Careful what you wish for

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
With respect he didn't play alongside baldock for Israel or in la liga where he has proven himself . There are other formulas that will work .

Lot of disrespect shown for tomer and it's not great . If we can get big money and obviously improve team then all good but some people just have the knives out .

Careful what you wish for

I was referring to his play in the Championship, but yes you are right he didn't have the luxury of Baldock for Israel and in la liga. I still maintain he looks more comfortable with a pacey strike partner, be that Baldock or not.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I was referring to his play in the Championship, but yes you are right he didn't have the luxury of Baldock for Israel and in la liga. I still maintain he looks more comfortable with a pacey strike partner, be that Baldock or not.

Yeah , I quoted you but was meant for others really.

Agree with you

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
That's just crap though .

He played in the championship and proved he was capable of playing top end and averaging better than 1/3 when not even being the main man .

He's now a chance to step up and he may do it . He hasn't proven he can't at all .
If you think he's Premier League quality that's fine, your opinion differs from me. My opinion is that if we play Hemed, we won't score goals and we will get relegated.

Not the end of the world, obviously. But it's the reality, because he isn't good enough at this level.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wonder how much a striker in Tomer's position that would have impressed, in those first 2 games, be worth/cost.?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If you think he's Premier League quality that's fine, your opinion differs from me. My opinion is that if we play Hemed, we won't score goals and we will get relegated.

Not the end of the world, obviously. But it's the reality, because he isn't good enough at this level.

The club's opinion is that we are turning down bids for him.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Have to agree with others saying its the system thats wrong, against Man City we never had (weren't allowed) the possession to create anything, our wingers were too deep (understandably) helping out our full backs. When we did get possession, we were given a master class in closing down, not just the man but the space. TBF im not sure any other formation would have made a difference and we could have had Sergio Aguero playing up front, if you dont get the ball to him in areas that are going to threaten the opposition, he ain't gonna score.
Leicester was different, we had much more possession but created nothing, it was almost as if we were too scared of getting caught on the break to have a go, our wingers were looking to come inside all the time, with the only option a pass back to a midfielder because Murray was completely marked out the game by the excellent Maguire. I can only recall twice when we got to the by-line, Gross (i think it was) put his cross behind the goal and then there was the chance for Murray who completely missed the ball, in his defence this was not long after he got injured. I thought we looked a little more lively with Knockaert and Hemed (dare i say it) and at least he had a shot on target albeit from outside the box.
My point is though we are not creating the opportunities for our strikers, we dont have the players available to play 4-4-2 at the moment with Baldock and Brown out but Gross is supposedly able to play that role, so is Murphy and even Skalak, yes these 3 are inferior to Baldock, i know that, but playing one man against very good defenders is just food and drink for the defenders, unless you have movement, support from midfielders and players with the ability to open up the defence from either midfield or the wings, so far we have had none of the above.

Im hoping the fear factor will be gone against Watford, otherwise.......

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Have to agree with others saying its the system thats wrong, against Man City we never had (weren't allowed) the possession to create anything, our wingers were too deep (understandably) helping out our full backs. When we did get possession, we were given a master class in closing down, not just the man but the space. TBF im not sure any other formation would have made a difference and we could have had Sergio Aguero playing up front, if you dont get the ball to him in areas that are going to threaten the opposition, he ain't gonna score.
Leicester was different, we had much more possession but created nothing, it was almost as if we were too scared of getting caught on the break to have a go, our wingers were looking to come inside all the time, with the only option a pass back to a midfielder because Murray was completely marked out the game by the excellent Maguire. I can only recall twice when we got to the by-line, Gross (i think it was) put his cross behind the goal and then there was the chance for Murray who completely missed the ball, in his defence this was not long after he got injured. I thought we looked a little more lively with Knockaert and Hemed (dare i say it) and at least he had a shot on target albeit from outside the box.
My point is though we are not creating the opportunities for our strikers, we dont have the players available to play 4-4-2 at the moment with Baldock and Brown out but Gross is supposedly able to play that role, so is Murphy and even Skalak, yes these 3 are inferior to Baldock, i know that, but playing one man against very good defenders is just food and drink for the defenders, unless you have movement, support from midfielders and players with the ability to open up the defence from either midfield or the wings, so far we have had none of the above.

Great points. A fair analysis.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Interesting post ...that last line I fully endorse

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Naylor now reporting that Hemed is "likely to leave"

If Dwamena transfer goes through.
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb...ork_to_complete_the_signing_of_Ghana_striker/

Interesting although not that surprising. I think it would still leave us needing one more striker though, even if we do get Dwamena.

I really rate Hemed (look at his goals to appearances ratio last season) but sadly think he will struggle now we've tweaked the formation. To effectively play as a lone striker, I think you either need to be very quick or very tall/good in the air, but Hemed is not either of those. He is a decent all round striker, which is great in the Championship but not so helpful in the Premier League.

If he goes, he has been a fantastic signing. He's scored goals in both seasons at the club and it sounds like we'll get significantly more for him now than the money we paid for him (which I think was less than £1 million).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here