Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hemed- Nowhere near Championship standard

Hemed hasn't dramatically improved it's the squad and supply line that has.

Which imo is the issue here.

Hemed was on fire when the team were creating chances.
Injury put that on hold which the nimrods took to be Tomers fault. :shrug:

And imo too. At times have not been creative as well as finding it difficult coping with a breaking opposition midfield running directly at us; the latter happened a bit yesterday but the games at Loftus Road and vs Middlesbrough at the Amex are prime examples of this for me.
I thought Williams looked a tidy player (again) yesterday.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Hemed hasn't dramatically improved it's the squad and supply line that has.

Which imo is the issue here.

Hemed was on fire when the team were creating chances.
Injury put that on hold which the nimrods took to be Tomers fault. :shrug:

That's what I said in post 51. He wasn't getting the service when we had so many injuries.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Nope I think you are being a bit smug after the fact - one goal in 16 weeks was a genuine cause for concern for all but the happy clappys.

Hughton is still probably discovering the best way to use him - given he scored coming off the bench against Charlton and today, there is still a case to be made that his greater physicality might be better employed against tiring second half defenders

I think that's quite rude to be honest. Everyone's entitled to their opinion without being labelled anything. We're all Albion fans here.

Whilst acknowledging he and the team went through a period where we were not at our collective best he was never, ever, for me, not good enough for this league. He does the basics so much better than your average Championship striker. He moves across the lines, he puts himself in areas that help the team rather than himself, he's comfortable with both feet and in the air.

It's not like he's suddenly turned it up a gear or anything either. We're talking about scoring a penalty and planting a header which owed a huge amount to the quality of Skalaks delivery. Pre-Knockaert/Skalak and with LuaLua and then March injured we didn't have the players to provide those deliveries or to make the most of his movement. Hemed's decent but for me he wasn't rubbish during his barren spell and neither is he is brilliant now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hemed's decent but for me he wasn't rubbish during his barren spell and neither is he is brilliant now.
Perfect.

It seems that the hard of thinking fail to understand Tomer is a £1m striker playing second division football.

If he was as accomplished as some believe he should be, Tomer would be a £20m striker playing in the Champions League.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I think he's suggesting you were wrong about Hemed.

I see. He should try reading around the subject a bit then. I stand by everything I said in this thread - there are times this year when Hemed has looked like a non-entity of a footballer and has massively impeded our progress - but I've also said in numerous other threads that I've been much more impressed in his recent upturn in form.

Saying that, I wouldn't put yesterday down as an actual marker of proof that he's suddenly an all conquering forward at this level, as he scored a penalty and a header from all of 4 yards following an excellent cross, yet he managed to miss the easiest chance of the game at 2-1 which nearly cost us dearly.

He's improved his level, I'm glad he has as, like I said earlier in the thread, I support BHA so I wanted him to. But that shouldn't overlook just how poor he was earlier in the season and how much his inability to do the basics affected our play in many of those games. Still, to look at the title thread name, he now does look like a Championship level striker, and that's a positive for all concerned.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I see. He should try reading around the subject a bit then. I stand by everything I said in this thread
The thread title is "Hemed- Nowhere near Championship standard". That's clearly as wrong as it's possible to be, yet rather than correct the OP, you joined in moaning about Hemed.

You said you're "perplexed about what his qualities as a footballer are, and I must confess that after tonight's performance, I'm still perplexed. He is a non-entity of a footballer" and you stand by that. Perhaps you should try and learn a bit about football.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
To put in context, there are only 14 Championship players with over 10 goals. In terms of minutes to goal to ratio, Hemed (195 minutes per goal) is comparable with all of them except Gray, Hernandez and Hooper, and a lot better than the ratio for Martin, Rhodes, Blackman and Vokes.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Hemed changed the game yesterday - took it from the first goal wins it to we could get a hat full here.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Whether he is scoring or not we look a much better side with him on the pitch. Causes lots of problems for centre halves and links the play well. With a combination of players who can cross the ball and as our main aerial threat in the box he should be one of first names on the team sheet.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
To put in context, there are only 14 Championship players with over 10 goals. In terms of minutes to goal to ratio, Hemed (195 minutes per goal) is comparable with all of them except Gray, Hernandez and Hooper, and a lot better than the ratio for Martin, Rhodes, Blackman and Vokes.

........each of the latter group supposedly worth anything from 5-10 times our million pound striker. I'll stick with Tomer.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
The thread title is "Hemed- Nowhere near Championship standard". That's clearly as wrong as it's possible to be, yet rather than correct the OP, you joined in moaning about Hemed.

You said you're "perplexed about what his qualities as a footballer are, and I must confess that after tonight's performance, I'm still perplexed. He is a non-entity of a footballer" and you stand by that. Perhaps you should try and learn a bit about football.

I stand by that statement based on that performance (and many others, in fact, where he's been incredibly poor). If a player adds nothing to a team with their quality of performance, and the only positive thing people can say about a player's performance is "he tries hard", then that player isn't at championship level. Luckily for us, his level has improved, and that's good.

But I asked the question earlier in this thread - "what does Hemed actually do?" and it's telling that no one could answer the question. That people on here are using one positive game to prove others wrong is as silly as you believe my comment to be, and it overlooks just how poor he was earlier in the season.

As I've said myself, in the post that you've not fully quoted (you've conveniently left the positive elements of it out so that you can have a dig, which reflects more poorly on you than on me), I recognise Hemed's improvement. I've no doubt a large part of that is because he's got more pace and mobility up front and in wide areas alongside him, but also his improved confidence as a result of not carrying the burden of the team. He now looks like a Championship forward for the first time since arriving here, and that's excellent. That doesn't mean his earlier poor form is erased, it doesn't prove me wrong, it just shows he's improved. He's still not perfect, he's still just a Championship striker who, I'm sure, will find it difficult to make the step up it we're promoted, but he has improved, and that's good on him and it's good for us, and I'll continue to support him in the stands with every game he plays.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Perfect.

It seems that the hard of thinking fail to understand Tomer is a £1m striker playing second division football.

If he was as accomplished as some believe he should be, Tomer would be a £20m striker playing in the Champions League.

Also worth noting what good value that is and what a shrewd signing he has been in the current market. A top Championship striker can demand a £10m fee these days and whilst I'm not putting him in that bracket he's got to be worth more than £1m.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I stand by that statement based on that performance
Your comments were that he is a non-entity as a footballer, and that you were perplexed about what his qualities as a footballer are. Neither of those statements were based on that one performance alone.

That people on here are using one positive game to prove others wrong is as silly as you believe my comment to be
He's scored 13 goals, that's not using one game to prove others wrong. And I'm not even trying to set him up as a footballing genius, I'm simply saying that it's very clearly wrong to say he's nowhere near Championship standard, and it's equally wrong to say he's a non-entity as a footballer.

As I've said myself, in the post that you've not fully quoted (you've conveniently left the positive elements of it out so that you can have a dig, which reflects more poorly on you than on me)
:lol: Wrong. I quote the bits that I'm commenting on so that it's clear what my reply is referring to. What you got wrong was your first post on the thread. You said nothing positive in that post. Here's that post in full, just for you:

I've said before that I'm perplexed about what his qualities as a footballer are, and I must confess that after tonight's performance, I'm still perplexed. He is a non-entity of a footballer.

And for those thinking his hold up play/ ability in the air is good, they've clearly not been at the AMEX the last 10 games. His performance tonight was a genuine 1 out of 10 and I'm not quite sure how much worse it has to get for him to be dropped.
There you go, full post, nothing conveniently left out, and not a positive word in sight.

It's not relevant that you've now said he's improved etc, the point is that you stand by your original post, which is laughable.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Your comments were that he is a non-entity as a footballer, and that you were perplexed about what his qualities as a footballer are. Neither of those statements were based on that one performance alone.

He's scored 13 goals, that's not using one game to prove others wrong. And I'm not even trying to set him up as a footballing genius, I'm simply saying that it's very clearly wrong to say he's nowhere near Championship standard, and it's equally wrong to say he's a non-entity as a footballer.

:lol: Wrong. I quote the bits that I'm commenting on so that it's clear what my reply is referring to. What you got wrong was your first post on the thread. You said nothing positive in that post. Here's that post in full, just for you:

There you go, full post, nothing conveniently left out, and not a positive word in sight.

It's not relevant that you've now said he's improved etc, the point is that you stand by your original post, which is laughable.

Let's deal with this bit by bit as you're clearly having one of your slower days.

Firstly, I did say that and I stand by it. That comment was after the Ipswich game on the 29th of December. Hemed put in a performance that was nothing short of embarrassing. He worked hard, yes, but my dog runs around a lot and you wouldn't call her a footballer. The point was, he added nothing of note to the team's performance in an attacking sense and moves broke down so regularly when the ball went into him that it was an embarrassment to watch. At that stage, he'd also only scored 1 goal in 14 games - whatever the reason for it, he was playing awfully and he didn't look up to the level required. It's excellent that he's had a bit of a turn around in form, but that run actually extended to just 1 in 19 through to the Brentford game. The problem at the time with Hemed was that, aside from running around a lot, when he wasn't scoring, he didn't add much to the team, as he lacks pace, his movement in dragging defenders out of position can be poor, he doesn't hold the ball up well and he's not actually that effective in the air. So when he's not scoring, he becomes a massive hindrance to the team. That he's now got 7 in 9 is excellent, but it doesn't change the fact that he had 1 in 14 at the time of writing and he wasn't adding much else to the team. That you're overlooking that reflects more poorly on you than it does on me, particularly as I've openly accepted his improvement in performance.

I said I was perplexed about what his qualities were. That's because AT THE TIME he was playing like a footballer who shouldn't be playing at this level. I've ALSO recognised his improved performances as part of a 2 man strike force and his improved strike rate. That's perfectly acceptable, but it also doesn't excuse his awful performances during that spell. And going back to my original point - still no one has told me what he brings to the team when he isn't scoring goals. It's like the reverse-Baldock debate. Baldock brings so much more to our side than Hemed, and it's no coincidence we haven't lost with him in the team this year, but he doesn't bring a strong supply of goals. To some that will mean he's not good enough. I look at Hemed and see the amount of chances we create every game in a side that is set up to bring the best out of him and he's only got 13 goals - on top of that, when he's not scoring, he wasn't bringing much to the side at the time - like I've said though, he's improving his all round game, maybe due to renewed confidence, and that's good for us, but it still doesn't overlook how poor he was at the time of writing.

And on to your last point regarding my first post (although it's really just a repeat of what I keep saying). I didn't say anything positive then because THERE WAS NOTHING POSITIVE IN THAT PERFORMANCE OR THE PREVIOUS 10 (where he had 1 in 14).. You've quoted a post but you've not read the context around it and that illustrates your inability to comprehend what's been written - it doesn't, however, prove you right or wrong regarding my comment about Hemed.

Furthermore, when i was referencing the positive elements of what I'd said, I was discussing the post you'd immediately quoted - at no point did I discuss the first post on the thread, or the others that I posted other than to say that I stood by the comments at the time because they reflected his extended run of poor form. The newest post was very much a "he didn't look like a forward that was good enough for this level during the original discussion, but he's improved dramatically and I recognise that improvement". That's a positive and logical analysis, and again, it reflects poorly on you that you're unable to comprehend something so simple. Does his improvement illustrate that he can play at this level? Yes, it probably does, albeit he's a confidence player and I'm still yet to see him play well when he's played as a lone striker. Has his all round game improved since he started scoring again? Yes, it has undoubtedly, and I recognise that, particularly with his link up play in results such as the 4-1 against BC. BUT, does that excuse his 1 goal in 19 and his disappearance throughout many of those 19 games? No it doesn't. Did his disappearance throughout those games cost us dearly throughout many of them? Yes it did, as it would when the focal point of your team isn't being effective. I'm glad he's come through it, but at the time he simply didn't deserve his place in our side and he didn't look good enough for this level, and the 1 in 19 reflects that more than his two separate spurts of goals that have totalled 13 for the season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Let's deal with this bit by bit as you're clearly having one of your slower days.
Ah, you're trying to patronise me, that's sweet.

Firstly, I did say that and I stand by it. That comment was after the Ipswich game on the 29th of December. Hemed put in a performance that was nothing short of embarrassing.
But your comments were not only referring to that one game. You said you were still perplexed (as you had been prior to that game) and that he was "a non-entity of a footballer."

You were wrong. I guess you're just one of those people who are too proud to admit when they make a mistake.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here