Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Helping our homeless

Lush

Mods' Pet
This is my concern. Having given to charities plenty of times, I wonder how much actually goes to where we intend it to go and how much gets swallowed up in admin costs etc

The admin costs mean that your money goes to the people who need it most and offers more long term help and support than a coat or a sandwich

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Seems to me there's a 'homeless' person missing a massive trick here. Not a single one to be seen on the approach from Falmer station to the stadium. Nearest we've got is that um, ECCENTRIC busker in the underpass you have to go through when you get off the 25 bus at the Sports Hall stop. Fair play, certainly knows his target audience, even if I've yet to see anybody give him any money.

We do... and have you tried his quiz?

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
I’m involved with an absolutely amazing local charity http://www.offthefence.org.uk/ who do amazing work helping the homeless of Brighton & Hove.
Paul Young their founder was interviewed at the Amex pre match a couple of seasons ago and they were one of the charities that the club partnered with for a season. Guy Butters also took part in their annual ‘Big Sleepout’ raising money which was great.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I’m involved with an absolutely amazing local charity http://www.offthefence.org.uk/ who do amazing work helping the homeless of Brighton & Hove.
Paul Young their founder was interviewed at the Amex pre match a couple of seasons ago and they were one of the charities that the club partnered with for a season. Guy Butters also took part in their annual ‘Big Sleepout’ raising money which was great.

Yes, I know a lady who works for Off the Fence, and is a season ticket holder. They do great work.
St Peters and other churches also run a night shelter, and have schemes designed to help the homeless more long term. My church has instructors teaching them skills like carpentry to help them get jobs whilst in a half way house. It's called Friends First.

Kitcatt

Apr 7, 2017
I personally would normally only give to known charities where people looking for support & assistance will turn to.

My fear of on street hand outs is that it either encourages begging or is used to feed habits - which isn't where i want my money going

Exactly this - on the route to Brighton station every morning there are at least 4 sitting/begging waiting for the handouts that people give them. People keep giving it’ll only get worse. The money needs to go to the right places to help people - randomn begging is not the answer.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
My company give new socks to homeless projects.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here