Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help re Sick Benefits

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
was wondering if anyone can advise me on the following question.

I am employed in a permanent part-time position of 16 hours a week and also receive working tax credit. I receive some housing benefit also (about 40% of my rent).

last November i was signed off sick, and have been ever since, and today was given a further certificate for three more months.

since November i have received my normal wage etc., but that ends next month and my salary of around £500 a month will be halved to £250 (approx figures). Im told that as i am still contracted for 16 hours then it will not affect the working tax credit, in other words i cannot claim more working tax credit. I am also advised that i can claim for an increase in housing benefits to help offset the halving of my income from work. where do i stand regarding any sickness benefits that i may be entitled to once my salary is reduced. I never applied for SSP in November as i was to receive full pay for 6 months. i just want to make sure i am claiming all that i am entitled to. if i am not entitled to anything above what i have described then that's fine, as long as i know ive made all the appropriate applications. If anyone has experienced similar circumstances and can offer any advice i would greatly appreciate it.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Imeant to add also that the three month extension to sick certificate is likely to be extended to me not returning to work

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
was wondering if anyone can advise me on the following question.

I am employed in a permanent part-time position of 16 hours a week and also receive working tax credit. I receive some housing benefit also (about 40% of my rent).

last November i was signed off sick, and have been ever since, and today was given a further certificate for three more months.

since November i have received my normal wage etc., but that ends next month and my salary of around £500 a month will be halved to £250 (approx figures). Im told that as i am still contracted for 16 hours then it will not affect the working tax credit, in other words i cannot claim more working tax credit. I am also advised that i can claim for an increase in housing benefits to help offset the halving of my income from work. where do i stand regarding any sickness benefits that i may be entitled to once my salary is reduced. I never applied for SSP in November as i was to receive full pay for 6 months. i just want to make sure i am claiming all that i am entitled to. if i am not entitled to anything above what i have described then that's fine, as long as i know ive made all the appropriate applications. If anyone has experienced similar circumstances and can offer any advice i would greatly appreciate it.

For independent advice, you can go to the Citizens Advice Bureau. They are very knowledgeable.

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
Do you get Disability Living Allowance? Definitely look into that and it isn't means tested either. You are allowed to work and cliam should you find yourself in the position of being able to return to work

I'm not sure about EMA as I thought that was income based so you won't qualify if so

Pop your numbers into Start Calculation
and see what it suggests

88brighton

Feb 13, 2008
Hangleton
You can claim Employment Support Allowance but if you have not been in receipt off SSP then you will need to get that before you do! Once your 28 weeks of SSP has finished you will need to get a form SSP1 from your employer for your claim to go ahead as you can not receive both SSP and ESA.

ESA is contribution based and income related benefit. If you have paid your NI contributions then you can go for contribution based which will not take your working tax credits into account but if you have not paid sufficient NI contributions then you will have to claim income related benefit which will take your working tax credits into account.

Hope this helps.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
thanks guys, that has given me some good info to follow up, appreciated.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
You say you havent claimed SSP but I bet your employer has and split your wages between SSP and the balance your salary. That way if they are a small employers they may be able to claim some of the SSP back again.

You are actually very lucky to get your £500 a month and not just SSP from the outset

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
You say you havent claimed SSP but I bet your employer has and split your wages between SSP and the balance your salary. That way if they are a small employers they may be able to claim some of the SSP back again.

You are actually very lucky to get your £500 a month and not just SSP from the outset

i agree Gaz. my employer has been extremely supportive since this all arose. in fact i had yet to sign a contract but they still adhered to the six months at full salary then half.

Legend

Prince Of Darkness
Jul 5, 2003
Lancing
The other thing you can do is phone 0800 882 200 which is the benefit enquiry line. Explain your situation and they should be able to tell you what are entitled to claim.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
I take it your diet has gone out of the window?

lol
it did mate for pretty much three weeks but back on track now. the whole health issue got me in a pretty crap state of mind and had a real choccy binge!!! now i have all but got to where i was, so am still aiming for 100 lb in a year am about half a stone behind schedule but a good april will sort that out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here