Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

help needed in argument

jimmy boy

Banned
Oct 18, 2003
Brighton
URGENT help needed in Falmer argument

Just went next door to ask neighbour to write to prescott but he asked why don't they build it at waterhall, it is much better site. I looked like a bit of a tit and said something about waterhall not having good enough access but i may have made that up. What is the official reason (i.e. the one in the planning application) that falmer is a better site than waterhall? I really should know but for some reason i don't. btw, he said he would not write a letter but then his wife strolled in and said she would write a letter so i have probably caused an argument there!
I am writing the letter for her and am going to take it round there in a bit, would be great if I could have reason toe tell husband when i get there.
Cheers

Last edited:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
NORTH of the bypass.:ohmy:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Also requires a Railway Station to be built

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
jimmy boy said:
thanks for replying,
why does it matter that it is north of the bypass?
Its almost pointless applying to build anything north of the bypass, as the argument goes that once you grant permission for one project, others will inevitably follow, and there's just too much open downland on the north side to allow that to kick off. "Thin end of the wedge" and all that.

The A27 is like a line across the downs - south side already has many developed areas, but the north side is basically sacrosanct.

Last edited:

jimmy boy

Banned
Oct 18, 2003
Brighton
why is nothing allowed to be built north of the bypass? Sorry to keep asking questions but he is going to ask me so i may aswell have answers.
Cheers

The Famous Grouse

Dec 9, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Its almost pointless applying to build anything north of the bypass, as the argument goes that once you grant permission for one project, others will inevitably follow, and there's just too much open downland on the north side to allow that to kick off.

The A27 is like a line across the downs - south side already has many developed areas, but the north side is almost sacrosanct.

thats why....

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
thats the crying shame I think, if we could build there then it would quite clearly be the best site EVER for a football ground (taking into account if we got a station aswell). Perfect setting on the downs, it would blend in as its in a valley. Right next to the junction of the A23 & A27 and would possible have a train station right next door....could'nt get a better place if we tried!
Shame its North side though...just 100feet the otherside and we'd be there by now :(

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
We cannot put a station there either because it is too near the tunnel, so no rail link like there is at Falmer.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Also, the Highways Department might veto it on traffic grounds, the cost of the roads would be prohibitive on cost grounds without ancillary developments to help so even if the stadium was allowed, the other developments might not be.

Political arguments are the main reason, Bassam says (it does not make sense but he has barred building north of the A27) and the South Downs Conservation Board are guaranteed to oppose it (I have asked them).

So although it appears OK, Martin Perry was right to see Falmer as a better prospect.

To my mind it would be an opportunity, but realistically in the short term and medium term it is out of the question.

I do not hold with the railway station argument, but somebody would have to pay for the station which is another cost burden, and the railways may veto it so that is another obstacle.

There are also possible legal problems from current users and the removal of public open space always has these risks.

As I said on another thread, single lane road carriageways cost £2 million a kilometre. I doubt if traffic lights would be allowed, so this would mean a complicated junction layout costing umpteenth £millions.

A few years ago, I thought that such a plan could be combined with park 'n ride to provide a feasible alternative. But alas, when examined more closely, this would involve polticians doing a complete reverse turn (not unheard of) but it would also more political will on their part than they are capable of.

By all means draw up a site plan and see if you can prove me wrong, but my feeling is that it is way out of contention.

It took me a long time to finally dismiss such an idea as a practical possibility. But I have now finally scotched any likelihood in my mind, in my lifetime.

It is still a better bet than both Sheepcote and Toads Hole from a practical point of view, but not from a political one.

Briefly:

1) it will cost too much
2) serious political opposition
3) highway problems

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
PS: I agree with Crabtree (in theory), the stadium could be landscaped in to the downs like Lancing College as a spectacular entrance to the Brighton conurbation and providing a natural limit to development as proscribed in a new Local Plan. (so could have Falmer Village Way South)

And Waterhall is only a bloody disused tip. I wrote to the Argus on these lines before Falmer was chosen.

However, I have since checked up on the traffic figures, and I can see there is a great problem to be resolved.

I can't wait that long to vote all the politicians out and get a new lot in.

I do not know what Bassam is going on about not building north of a road. It is just stupid! Best to build both sides of a road so the traffic has got access on both sides instead of squashing people in south of the A27. But I have not got time for his dogmatic pronouncements.

Never would it be just a stadium there. It would always be a stadium plus other developments. It could pay if it had a supermarket. But this is political and willpower. Brighton Marina would never have got built if the politicans were so queasy.

I still, reluctantly think it is a non-goer!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think I agree with you, Perseus.
But there is no getting away from the fact - the bloke in your avatar looks GAY.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think the Avatar is a Greek. I don't care anyway.

I do not know what cricket bats have got to do with Falmer anyway.

:jester:

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I am putting this at the top again because I think it is important for fans to say to people who ask why Waterhall does not work.

Do NOT take my views for granted though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here