Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help needed: how much should a new combi-boiler cost?

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
I had a ideal boiler in my last flat, talking thirteen years ago, had nothing but problems with it. Maybe they've improved, but as always, and expect you already have, do the research.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thanksgor all suggestions. Current boiler is a Worcester Greenstar 24. Been quoted £1900 for an Ideal Atlantic with 5 year guarantee. Also options for other Gloworm, Worcester boilers. Cheapest Worcester is the Greenstar 4000 with 7 year warranty + £500. Prices include a loyalty discount. (On a contract)

Worcester and Valliant have for circa 20 years topped Which? ratings.

Really pleased our Worcester Greenstar 29 combi installed 6.5 years ago. Just one fault last autumn where a key component had furred up with calcium (typical for homes drawing water from chalk), spotted straight away by the engineers we use and replaced cheaply.

Does the £1,900 including everything?

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Thanksgor all suggestions. Current boiler is a Worcester Greenstar 24. Been quoted £1900 for an Ideal Atlantic with 5 year guarantee. Also options for other Gloworm, Worcester boilers. Cheapest Worcester is the Greenstar 4000 with 7 year warranty + £500. Prices include a loyalty discount. (On a contract)
My own advice - It's a pared down (cheap) version of a cheap boiler (the Logic) - If you can, go with a local installer than a multinational, and they will look after you much better. Typically, a Viessmann 050/100 is great price. or Vaillant EcoFit.. both will get you minimum 7 years parts and labour warranty FOC.
The existing WB boiler (junior?) is still +90% efficient with new boilers somewhere 92-94%, but where you will save money is control strategy - on/off controls are very poor, whereas opentherm/load compensation is good, and weather compensation excellent (up to 8% off heating bills). All boilers for past 10 years have been 20% H2 blend ready. Pure H2 down the pipes is a pipe dream, and certainly not in our lifetime.. Brighton Plumbing Solutions are very good. HTH

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
A fair bit depends on what your existing pipework is like. For example, I got a new boiler a couple of months ago and it cost £2,800, about half for the boiler and half for fitting. But the old one was 20+ years old and since it was fitted the pipework diameter has changed (by law) from half inch to three quarter inch (or perhaps the other way round, 'm no expert). So the pipes around the boiler all needed changing. It needed a water pump because it's below ground so can't drain; the old boiler had that included. There were other oddities because of the idiosyncratic nature of the house.

This boiler has a 13 year guarantee, and I can look up what make it is if you want. I can't remember offhand.

Local fitter definitely better than a national, IMO. As long as he (or she) is a good one! Local fitters are far more concerned with the reputation of their firm (ie. themselves) than nationals.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
The £1900 quote is from an established local contractor (& Albion ST holder, to boot - whenever I ring him we have 15 minutes of chat about football) who we've been using for nigh on 30 years - hence the discount. I'll check pipe diameters and have asked about the relative advantages of the more expensive options. I'm a bit reticent to start asking alternative companies for quotes.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The £1900 quote is from an established local contractor (& Albion ST holder, to boot - whenever I ring him we have 15 minutes of chat about football) who we've been using for nigh on 30 years - hence the discount. I'll check pipe diameters and have asked about the relative advantages of the more expensive options. I'm a bit reticent to start asking alternative companies for quotes.
If he’s someone you trust and have used him for that long I wouldn’t be looking elsewhere, that is also a fair price imo.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
We've plumped for the Vaillant EcoFit Pure 25. Comes with a 10 Yr guarantee. It's a bit smaller and allegedly quieter than the Worcester. It's being fitted on Monday by KC Contracts of Coldean. Mrs Cottager first started using them in the early 90s & we've continued ever since in 3 properties.

Thanks for all your advice and experiences - really helped.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I won't start a new thread on this (unless I get nothing but facetious ill-informed comments - I can make those all by myself).

I just got an email from British Gas (see below). Anyone got one? Is this a good deal? Cheers HWT.

"Claim your £5k grant – get a heat pump from just £2,999 "

andys320

Jan 10, 2014
I won't start a new thread on this (unless I get nothing but facetious ill-informed comments - I can make those all by myself).

I just got an email from British Gas (see below). Anyone got one? Is this a good deal? Cheers HWT.

At face value a god deal, though I have heard, the grant may be difficult to claim, in which case, maybe not as good,.

I've not gone down that road mind.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

Does that include fitting? I bet not.

In general, don't let British Gas fit anything. They're the corner-cutters of all time and their annual service package is a sham.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill

From is the important bit.. a low ball price always gets trade's foot in the door.
BG and Octopus etc and being forced in to the market and picking up the easier jobs, and you'll likely continue on their energy tariffs too.

Be interesting to see how thorough on the heat loss calcs they are.. that will inc the ASHP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here