Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Heads Up: Leonardo Express from airport to Rome Termini

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just a quick heads-up for anybody going to Rome and planning on getting the Leonardo Express train from the airport into Rome Termini, and also on the return journey: make sure you validate your paper train ticket before getting on the train. The ticket inspectors are extra vigilant and unwary tourists are liable for a 50 euro fine for unvalidated tickets. Seen it happen to multiple people in both directions.

The ticket validation machines are next to the platforms and look like this

images.jpeg

If you buy your ticket on the trenitalia app and store it on your phone you don't need to get it validated.

You have not been charged 50 euros for this information

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Just a quick heads-up for anybody going to Rome and planning on getting the Leonardo Express train from the airport into Rome Termini, and also on the return journey: make sure you validate your paper train ticket before getting on the train. The ticket inspectors are extra vigilant and unwary tourists are liable for a 50 euro fine for unvalidated tickets. Seen it happen to multiple people in both directions.

The ticket validation machines are next to the platforms and look like this

View attachment 177224

If you buy your ticket on the trenitalia app and store it on your phone you don't need to get it validated.

You have not been charged 50 euros for this information
Thanks that's useful. I was planning on buying and printing out a ticket in advance. How would validating that work? Doesn't look like you can stick an A4 piece of paper in that.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think this is a thing on many Italian trains. I remember getting one from Rome to Naples once and being told by a ticket inspector (in this case a sympathetic one) that I needed to get it validated on the return.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Thanks that's useful. I was planning on buying and printing out a ticket in advance. How would validating that work? Doesn't look like you can stick an A4 piece of paper in that.
Not sure, tho I guess if you were to fold the piece of A4 slightly so that the validation stamp shows somewhere on the paper, then that would be serve as proof of validation. Others will doubtless know

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Thanks @Tom Hark Preston Park - very useful information.

Similar to Berlin then; last time I went there I didn't know, got on the train and the ticket person was grumpy it wasn't validated but could see I genuinely was oblivious to it! For the return to the airport I used the validation machine but didn't think it had worked, stuck it in again, and then on the train was asked in a very accusing way why I'd validated the ticket twice! :lolol:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The first step of many where the Italians will be trying to extract as much money out of tourists !!

Won’t be a cheap trip

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
On a total side issue, on arrival at Schipol,when getting the train to The Dam I forgot to tap on, so subsequently when I “tapped off” to get the gate open it tapped me on and charged me all the way to Eindhoven (or wherever) and charged me about €30 for a €5 journey.

However, the transaction shows a serial number on the bank statement and when I got home I simply went on to the website, entered the number and amended the two travel points in question and quickly received a refund. This is all done on trust.

I was very impressed.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think this is a thing on many Italian trains. I remember getting one from Rome to Naples once and being told by a ticket inspector (in this case a sympathetic one) that I needed to get it validated on the return.
I got a ‘tourist fine’ which was a lot lighter than the one they give locals.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
I was in hurry in Genoa one night, hoping between local stations, and thus offered up a sector of my railpass (I had ten sectors in total.) Guard comes along, takes my railpass, looks at it hands in back upstamped and told 'don't be silly' Nice guy.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I've downloaded the app and will buy using that as soon as I land, so that I don't have to worry about all that validation nonsense. Thanks for the heads up THPP! :thumbsup:

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
If you’re getting the tickets online you also need to ‘check in’ before you board the train. I got a return ticket & on closer inspection it had given me train times which were of no use. It’s easy to change them but I’m not sure if you need the times on the ticket to match the train you’re using or whether you can use any train.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
If you’re getting the tickets online you also need to ‘check in’ before you board the train. I got a return ticket & on closer inspection it had given me train times which were of no use. It’s easy to change them but I’m not sure if you need the times on the ticket to match the train you’re using or whether you can use any train.
When i try and create an account on trenitalia it asks for a tax code as a mandatory field. Anyone got round that? Apparently if you type in 'no thanks I'm an anarchist syndicalist' - it doesn't help.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
When i try and create an account on trenitalia it asks for a tax code as a mandatory field. Anyone got round that? Apparently if you type in 'no thanks I'm an anarchist syndicalist' - it doesn't help.
When you first install the app there's a 'continue without login' option down the bottom ie no need to create an account

Screenshot_20240305_190358_Trenitalia.jpg

Vin

Jun 12, 2021
google 'tax code in Italy example' and copy the example

Birthdate and gender: 91D08. Place of birth: F205. Check digit: J. Fiscal code: MRTMTT91D08F205J.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Cheers. And now for the next thicky question - when I go on the app all the Leonardo Express slots for tomorrow say 'not purchasable' - only the normal trains available. Any ideas?
Sorry - ignore this. Its because I was doing 'quick tickets'instead of just tickets

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here