Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Headphones 2022... State of The Nation

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Never found that much difference, so just the cheapest ones for my phone commute and same situation for PC Gaming. Keep thinking I might try something better if can’t think of a Christmas present but generally find something more interesting

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've got some HiFiMAN He-400, a budget but still very nice set of planar cans, with a basic amp.

Don't often get a chance to make use of them, but when I do I wonder why I don't more often!

Would love some Audeze LCD-3s...
It's lovely isn't it, kicking back with your music on a decent little set up.

Thankfully I haven't wondered off down the headphone DAC/Amp wormhole as my DAPs all drive my headphones no problem. I do still think about increasing my headphone collection though, just to enjoy different sound signatures. Plus, there's something very aesthetically pleasing about a nice set of headphones.

My introduction to half decent headphones was the entry level Hifiman Edition S. Very versatile for listening at home and on the move. I then got some NfAudio NA2 IEMs for more portability, but then caved in and went Bluetooth (Soundcore Liberty 3pro) for even more convenience when walking.

My ones I enjoy the most are my Oppo PM2. Open back planar magnetics that I only ever listen to at home. Now thinking of adding some closed back dynamic drivers to my collection.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Recently upgraded my original Apple airpods to Airpods 2 Pro. Sound quality is great, noise cancelling excellent but i need to find buds that fit better as they've fallen out several times while running. Might try memory foam.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I bought a pair of Bose QC35 II a couple of years ago and use them for flights and any other long journeys. They're fantastic headphones and I've been impressed with the active noise cancelling.

Day-to-day I use a pair of Plantronics Backbeat Fit which I bought about 5 years ago. They're not the most amazing for sound quality, but they're virtually indestructable*. They get stuffed in pockets and thrown in bags, twisted around, sat on and still work perfectly. I still get about 6-7 hours playback from full charge too. They also stay in my ears when I run, unlike others I've tried.

* the first pair I bought, went through a full wash and dry cycle and one side gave muffled sound after that.

Last edited:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Have some Sumsung Galaxy Buds which are chuffing useless for the money they cost. They don't work outside and don't fit well in my ear.

Also have a pair of Bose noise cancelling which are mega. Especially on flights.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Jabra wireless buds. They’re fine and less than a hundred quid so I’m happy.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Got a pair of original Sennheiser Quiet Comforts that I got for my birthday 16 years ago. Bought two sets of soft spares in the intervening years and the headphones still work well.Only thing i do miss is the Bluetooth connection which the later models have. Still cracking headphones all the same.

TNBA

TTF

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I was using the Sony WH-1000MX4 (headphones) for everyday use but since getting the WF-1000MX4 (wireless buds) I've barely used them. I did have an issue after having them around 9 months which Sony fixed for free under warranty and pretty quickly as well.

Used the Mrs' Airpods Pro in the gym while they were being fixed, they are garbage in comparison.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
AirPods V2 for day to day, running and cycling.

Sony MX3 for flying/travelling.

Steelseries Arctic 7 for desktop/laptop/gaming (really great headphones for most at home use cases, at a decent price).

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
It's lovely isn't it, kicking back with your music on a decent little set up.

Thankfully I haven't wondered off down the headphone DAC/Amp wormhole as my DAPs all drive my headphones no problem. I do still think about increasing my headphone collection though, just to enjoy different sound signatures. Plus, there's something very aesthetically pleasing about a nice set of headphones.

My introduction to half decent headphones was the entry level Hifiman Edition S. Very versatile for listening at home and on the move. I then got some NfAudio NA2 IEMs for more portability, but then caved in and went Bluetooth (Soundcore Liberty 3pro) for even more convenience when walking.

My ones I enjoy the most are my Oppo PM2. Open back planar magnetics that I only ever listen to at home. Now thinking of adding some closed back dynamic drivers to my collection.
Charged up my portable amp and have been listening to my set of HifiMan HE-400 cans the past couple of days since this thread cropped up, thanks @1066familyman

Also, been flipping between the HE400 and the other couple I have, Sony MDR-XB700 (normally used in bed) and WH-1000XM3 (normally used on the train). Both the Sony's have more bass presence, which I like (particularly the XB700...), but the HE-400 are definitely the better sounding overall.

Might have to try and look for something that improves on the HE-400 sound with slightly more in the lower range...

What are you looking at re. closed back dynamic drivers?

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
I use Bose Noise Cancelling 700s I got with my phone and they're great.

Wireless, really good sound, great noise cancelling you can adjust and incredible battery life, would highly recommend.

For stuff where over ears aren't practical I have a pair of Pixel Buds which are pretty decent, think the pros are quite a good upgrade but I don't have the need.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Charged up my portable amp and have been listening to my set of HifiMan HE-400 cans the past couple of days since this thread cropped up, thanks @1066familyman

Also, been flipping between the HE400 and the other couple I have, Sony MDR-XB700 (normally used in bed) and WH-1000XM3 (normally used on the train). Both the Sony's have more bass presence, which I like (particularly the XB700...), but the HE-400 are definitely the better sounding overall.

Might have to try and look for something that improves on the HE-400 sound with slightly more in the lower range...

What are you looking at re. closed back dynamic drivers?
Marvellous scenes!

Re: Closed back dynamic drivers. What I'm dreaming of is the Denon d9200. Not sure the wallet would make it a reality though.

So I'm first concentrating on open back dynamic drivers at a lower cost, to compliment my Oppo PM2, which are open back planar magnetics. The shortlist there is the Sivga sv023 and ibasso sr2.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Might be.
Can you name how they actually benefit the users? Apart from wearing them to blank out the mother in law.
I refer you to the following Lyrics...

'If they only knew how we feel when we dance to Jah music,
One thing I know is they would like to feel it too ' :kiss:

I rest my case your honour. Enjoy.

Or, if you prefer...

'One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain.'

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Anyone been to a CanJam event before?

London CanJam is on August 19th/20th this year. I'm hoping to go up on the Sunday. Never been to one before.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Any more headphone discoveries for anyone since I started this thread?

That CanJam event is brilliant for anyone keen to try lots of different types of headphones, and especially high end ones.
Revealed to me that price doesn't always translate to 'best', although it never could anyway as sound preference is a such a subjective thing.
Also shows that in general there's house signature sounds to different makes, even though they have some variation within there range.
ZMF and Meze stood out as my favourites. Focal left me a bit disappointed.
Money no object then I would have bought the Meze Elites there and then. They were phenomenal on every single level!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here