Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "He has obviously done his homework"

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I just think he lacked conviction and confidence with it.

And, to be clear, I'm not having a pop. I love Glenn Murray!

This. He did not look at all confident and I groaned when I saw him warming up for the kick. He looked like he just knew it was not going to be his day. Bring on the German.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
He's scored 26 pens in the last ten years, and missed/had saved 12.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/glenn-murray/elfmetertore/spieler/45693

68.4%
That's a poor strike rate.
The average at this level is 75.8% (drops to 70% in penalty shoot-outs).

Some interesting stats ; https://www.pinnacle.com/en/betting...-is-a-penalty-soccer-betting/NC92JXGBETBHAUM3

Yaya Toure is the best penalty taker still actively playing soccer in the top five leagues in European soccer (100% conversion rate from 15 penalties).
Matt Le Tissier has the best penalty success rate for anyone who has 20+ penalties in their career - scoring 48/49 (98%).
Martin Palermo once missed three penalties in one game (Argentina vs. Colombia, 1999) - the most by one player in a single match.
Diego Alves has the best record for saving penalties in the top five leagues of European soccer - stopping 23/49 (47%).
Jean-Francois Gillet saved three penalties in a single game for Mechelen vs. Anderlecht (October 2015). Cammy Bell repeated this feat for Dundee United vs. Dunfermline in September 2016.
The record for the most penalties awarded in a single 90-minute match is five - Crystal Palace vs. Brighton & Hove Albion in 1989.
Mohamed Jedidi holds the record for the most re-taken penalty in a match - he took the same penalty six times due to various rule infringements (2004 Olympics, Tunisia vs. Montenegro).

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
KK Palace 17 Civics 16. Namibian cup 2005 (48 penalties)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
it was the 6th in a row going centre/(keepers) left.

I'm not a Murray knocker - but that's a little predictable.

This is a good point. Last season I seem to remember more going to the keeper's right (which is where the majority of penalties go). He doesn't seem to have hit one that way this season. But this does raise the question, if he takes another one, does he go to the right, or is there double-bluff?
I don't think the penalty was quite as bad as others do. Murray himself said that the Burnley one was poor, because it missed the target and I agree. If Schmeichel had gone the other way, people wouldn't be saying it was a poor penalty, that he was lethargic, cocky, etc.
It does seem that a lifted penalty down the centre is statistically the best one to hit, as keepers always seem to dive.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Doesnt matter where it is hit but has to be higher or lower not waste height

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I am probably wrong, but I am still hurting because of the importance of the penalty, I think we would have won, maybe a draw if it had gone in and that would have gone so far to make us safe.
If there was any doubt or nerves leading up to the penalty then Glenn should have just wacked it, as hard as he could down the middle.
If Casper had done his homework he would not have expected that, and if he got a hand/foot to it, it still would have gone in, he tried to place it against one of the best keepers around.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
on tv i felt it looked like Schmeichel sent Murray the wrong way. a little movement one way that makes the taker think they are going that way so plant it the other.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ben Roberts apparently spends hours researching em for Maty Ryan. Here's CH on the Ryan save at Stoke
"“With every game we play Ben will analyse where particular players have scored most. But we all know when it comes to it you’ve just got to stand, go the right way"
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/159...per_coach_for_capture_of_spot_kick_hero_Ryan/

Ben is right. Think about the penalty he saved at Withdean which got us into the play off final. He actually dived to his left, but stuck his right arm up at a right angle, which stopped the penalty dead.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The Penalty for me is over

Huddersfield come to the Amex at the weekend. If we dwell on that Penalty then we are not concentrating on the next job at hand. They will do what they do in away games and dig in for a point we gotta go out and batter them and the Penalty will be long forgotten

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As soon as he scores another goal the penalty will be forgotten by all except the statisticians on here. Saturday night the penalty was a discussion point as per substitutions etc but Sunday morning it is all over and we must look forward.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here