Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Haye Fury Off Again!

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Hasn't Fury been making absurd noises about fancying his chances at MMA and specifically UFC heavyweight champ Cain Velasquez.

Perhaps the biggest worry of the lot, a Vegas cabbie once told us Boxing was on the slide and in 15 years time (this was 6years ago) UFC/MMA would be the dominant sport in the US.

I think our domestic boxing will always be at a high level but if the better yanks are switching codes then that might detract from boxing at a global level.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Perhaps the biggest worry of the lot, a Vegas cabbie once told us Boxing was on the slide and in 15 years time (this was 6years ago) UFC/MMA would be the dominant sport in the US.

I think our domestic boxing will always be at a high level but if the better yanks are switching codes then that might detract from boxing at a global level.

Its not about switching codes as boxing and MMA are different beasts. Quite simply boxing took its eye off the ball and has been in decline for quite a few years. Too many anonymous fighters across too many weight classes affiliated to too many governing bodies.

When I was younger the UK scene was alight with real quality and fighters with character like Benn, EU bank and Watson. Across the pond there was the likes of Leonard, Duran, Hearns and Hagler. And not forgetting Tyson atop the heavyweight division a division which has been in terminal decline for years.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

Even the great Yank heavyweight hope Wilder will get beaten if he dares stepping into the ring with Tyson Fury

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Its not about switching codes as boxing and MMA are different beasts. Quite simply boxing took its eye off the ball and has been in decline for quite a few years. Too many anonymous fighters across too many weight classes affiliated to too many governing bodies.

When I was younger the UK scene was alight with real quality and fighters with character like Benn, EU bank and Watson. Across the pond there was the likes of Leonard, Duran, Hearns and Hagler. And not forgetting Tyson atop the heavyweight division a division which has been in terminal decline for years.

Simply not true. Boxing is booming

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
This article pretty much sums it up

http://www.lowkickmma.com/Other/Boxing-vs-MMA-9042

The only real difference is that a full appreciation of the nuances of MMA takes a bit of time. After all I once had no appreciation of free style wrestling or the chess like subtlety of Ju Jitsu.

Having said all this MMA should not get complacent and joke decisions like last weekends title fight victory for GSP over Hendricks could hamper it's rise in popularity.

Last edited:

H2O

Jul 27, 2004
Hove
Really? Stop the average sports fan in the street and ask him if he can name three reigning domestic champions and their respective weight divisions.

Fair point but stop the average man in the streetand ask what MMA even means and they would struggle let alone know who the champ is

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here