Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you rented a room (homestay) to a foreign student?

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Had some stay with us years ago. First time my ex and myself took some in, we had some young German boys who were perfect. No problem at all and very polite.

Next time, we took two girls from one of the language schools. One Spanish and one Swiss. Regarding their food requirements, they were pretty low maintenance. Half the time, they lived on McDonalds which was fine, as long as they thought to tell us. Which of course they didn't. Used to make them a packed lunch and they had breakfast - Sometimes.

The hassle was their 'behaviour'. The Spanish one clearly didn't want to be over here and was in a permanent sulk. She fabricated a story to her parents that she had lost all her money and needed more sent over. Neither myself or the language school knew anything of this. I had a couple of late evening phone calls in broken English from Madrid which I could have done without. Neverless, I suspect the girl was in deep shit when she got home.

The other one was a wild child who just wanted to party. Came home late every evening, forgetting her key once plus would disappear at the weekends for three days without telling anyone. My ex was delighted when she coloured her hair purple in our bathroom and splattered dye everywhere!

We made some cash out of it but if you get the 'wrong ones' they can be a pain.

Last edited:

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
We've had them for about 10 years now. We started with short stay students who you tend to get more money for but they're only there for about a week or two. However, although they aren't as much the long stay ones, you tend to form a bond with them. Mostly all our students want to come back and unless they've had visa problems they've come back and seen us. Try and eat dinner with them and make them part of the family and it won't seem like a chore.

Done it about 15 years back, quite a good laugh as we specifically requested adults (often a married couple)so we often went out on the piss with them spending what we earned, A Colombian couple we had stay for 3 months were minted so we were always out, and the following summer we had a nice stay in their £1 million house in Miami (allegedly it was civil engineering as opposed to the white stuff)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
During Euro '96 we had two Italians girls staying with us, when my wife got home there we 20 Italian teenagers watching them play a game on the TV in our front room.

It seemed we were the only decent family as most others students were locked out their host houses all day.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
How do you get Female Swedes to rent a room? One of my mates is interested :whistle:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
How do you get Female Swedes to rent a room? One of my mates is interested :whistle:

My next door neighbour is a dab hand at this: she rents to foreign students and always seem to get young Scandinavian women.

I've never rented to students myself but I've been a teacher with EF and complaints about host family's food was a common complaint -even from the Germans (who really have nothing to moan about when it comes to food)

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Back in the late 90s we had 4 pairs of German students stay with us over 2 years, each pair staying 3 weeks. 2 pairs were girls, a complete nightmare and the other two pairs were boys, who were much better behaved and more interesting to chat to.
They all came from Dresden, in the old East Germany (by then liberated), and Schindlers List had just come out here. Two of the boys went to see it and one of them, then aged 16, was distraught. They had never been taught any thing about the Nazis and their atrocities. We had to talk him through it to re assure him that himself and his parents were not involved and that he was not to take any blame on himself. Strangely, he is the only one we are still in contact with.
It was an interesting experience but two years was enough. Sorry, can't remember which school and pay rates probably no relevance today.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It seems to be quite a decent money-making scheme for those that need to prop-up their income and don't mind sharing their home. Quite eye-opening.
Interesting. I was surprised how little you get, must be about a pound a day after food, tax, washing and everything else and a huge amount of effort.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Interesting. I was surprised how little you get, must be about a pound a day after food, tax, washing and everything else and a huge amount of effort.

Under £400 a month, you don't pay tax. The students I took in only wanted breakfast & evening meal.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've never rented to students myself but I've been a teacher with EF and complaints about host family's food was a common complaint
I'm not surprised, given the amount EF pay.

What tax are you having to pay? Shouldn't be any if you're earning that little.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
1 year on and it's going lovely.

I'm sat here eating the lovely fried rice with kimchi that my student's just made me. Again :D

Student Food.jpg

Happy days.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I have four Italian girls staying with me at the moment. They're in their last week (of three). Before them I had four Scandinavian girls. They leave the house at 8am, and come home at 8pm, I rarely see them which is lovely. The Italian girls are really badly behaved, make loads of mess and make no attempt to talk or interact with me or my partner. In comparison the Scandinavian girls spoke perfect English, were clean and tidy, and we would spend hours chatting away. It was an amazing three weeks that I couldn't believe I was being paid for! The Italians are making me work for it!

The money is fantastic though and totally worth it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I have four Italian girls staying with me at the moment. They're in their last week (of three). Before them I had four Scandinavian girls.
Each time were they all from the same college? We've got an Italian girl with us at the moment and she's lovely. Her parents came over on holiday last week, and her dad came round to do a magic show for my kids and friends (he brought a case of tricks over with him). That was great. We just had an Italian boy over, and he was really nice too. All of our students have been excellent, except the very first, she wasn't so great.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Each time were they all from the same college? We've got an Italian girl with us at the moment and she's lovely. Her parents came over on holiday last week, and her dad came round to do a magic show for my kids and friends (he brought a case of tricks over with him). That was great. We just had an Italian boy over, and he was really nice too. All of our students have been excellent, except the very first, she wasn't so great.

Yep, all from the same School.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yep, all from the same School.
It's weird that a school can send you 4 students of the same nationality, but you're not allowed students of the same nationality from different colleges.

We've got 4 at the moment, but only for a few more days.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
We've being hosting foreign students at Igzilla Towers now for about 3 years. We use the Worthing language schools, so generally have short term students March - Jun (generally 3 - 6 nights) and longer term ones July - September (2 - 3 weeks). Most of them are 11 - 16, most are lovely. Some are not, but the beauty is if you get a wrong 'un, they're gone before they really drive you mad.

We also use Homestay (just had a lovely Spanish couple stay for just one night - their first in their new life in the UK) and there's a theatre digs site we use too. We did try a long term let (as we are quiet during Oct - Feb) a couple of times, but the first was a disaster (a Bulgarian who would answer the front door to the pizza man dressed in only his underpants), and the next two were also disastrous (both locals, one a young lad who couldn't pay the rent) and a young couple who lied about their age, took drugs in the room and had friends to stay overnight without permission - they got the boot within a week. They also nicked our food and cutlery. We have found the British to be the worst and now we will only consider short term stuff (we will have a student nurse with us for a month whilst she does her placement).

We are still in touch with some of our students, even ones who only stayed a few days. it's also great for our 7 year old (an only child) to have other kids in the house.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
now we will only consider short term stuff
Our lovely fried rice cooking student is with us for two years, and another student arrives in a month for two years. Long term foreign students is ideal for us.

Fat Langers

Dec 27, 2007
My wife is seriously considering giving up her full time job and getting something part time. Because of this we had considered students as she earns a lot more then myself and her giving up working full time would be a kick in the nuts!
Just wondering what companies you all use to have your students and is it worth doing?!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just wondering what companies you all use to have your students and is it worth doing?!
We only use colleges (they may be companies, but that's not what I'd refer to them as). As for which ones, it depends where you live. As for whether it's worth it, it depends on the layout of your home and whether you'd like to share it with students etc. It's worth doing for us, but it goes without saying that it's not suitable for everyone.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
We had students one summer before we had kids. Had older male students mostly and they were all great - very quiet, polite & no trouble. Think we got about £90 a week for it back then.
One German guy was brilliant, & was with us when England beat Germany 5-1. He was all smiles when they went ahead, but he visibly shrunk into the sofa the longer the game went on...
A Czech lad who was with us told us a bizarre story of Christmas as a child in his country. Apparently fish is usually eaten on Dec 25th, so they used to catch one from the river, keep it in the bath for a few days and then eat it. Only thing was, he used to have a bath with it every night and always gave them names - so felt really sad when they were served up on a plate!
Also had an 18 year old Czech girl for a couple of weeks. Very nice, polite & never a problem - until she was summoned home by her father to sort out her horse before he sold it to the butcher!!! (oh the tears and drama that ensued!) - but she did have a habit of coming out the bathroom in just a tiny towel before getting ready to go out in the evenings. When you are in a 2 bed flat it was a case of "keep your eyes on the telly"....!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here