Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Have you put the heating on yet? (2022/23 edition)

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Had a shock this morning when in Bricomart in Malaga. Pellets for the stove that were 3.85e a 15kg bag last winter are this year 7.49e. There will be, I hope, a reduction in price from October 1st as the Spanish Gov. has announced VAT on bottled gas and pellets will be reduced from 21% to 5%. Think we will be upstairs most of the cold weather using the log burner (yes it does get cold here, particularly with the style of house construction in Spain), and we receive no heating allowances - IDS saw to that some years back!

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
As is my standard response to these threads , it's not been turned off since 2018 when we had the new boiler put in, if the thermostat and weather compensation thinks the house needs heat, it gets it.

I've been setting my nest to 14c or something and it seems to override that and come on when below 18c.

The aware home, eh?

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
Woke up this morning and the heating had come on automatically over night. (shit blues song I know)
so I have lost this years race and will have to compete in the 23/24 season.

scooter1

How soon is now?
I was hoping to hold out until October, but it got to 16 on the reader and automatically kicked in this morning. I have adjusted it to 18 and off we go for the winter.
We had a new boiler installed last year as part of a loft conversion, and hopefully the efficiency will start to show against the rise in costs

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
If it drops below 20 inside , the heating comes on automatically. I might turn it down a bit at night as my heating bills are getting crazy !!

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I was hoping to hold out until October, but it got to 16 on the reader and automatically kicked in this morning. I have adjusted it to 18 and off we go for the winter.
We had a new boiler installed last year as part of a loft conversion, and hopefully the efficiency will start to show against the rise in costs
Strange! Mine was set at 18 and came on last night so I adjusted down to 16. Is it when it reaches 16 it turns off or when it reaches 16 it turns on.???

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Definitely cooling down!

24 at the moment and 28 today.

BUT when it really cools down, it feels much warmer outside than indoors.
Maltese properties do not have cavity walls and the humidity makes it really cold indoors.
When I worked from home a few years ago after an operation in December, I had fingerless gloves, hoodie and thermal socks plus heater on!
By November, we have quilt and electric blanket on!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Thought I'd fire up the wood burner tonight just to give it a trial run before the winter.

It was unbearably hot so had to open the windows. Wood is nicely seasoned though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No central heating, and will probably avoid it until November.

I'm just not ever that cold really. A couple of times I've turned on the electric heater for 20 mins in my work cabin, but that's it. It has been a little cold some evenings in front of the telly in our north-facing front room, but nothing a throw or dressing gown/jumper can't resolve.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
No, not yet.
Log burner lit last Friday evening, but not since.
Off to Devon and Cornwall next week for 6 days, so it won’t be on next week either.
PS. The forecast is for loads of rain, but can’t be helped. Anyway, it is our first break away for three years, so we are determined to enjoy it, come what may.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No, not yet.
Log burner lit last Friday evening, but not since.
Off to Devon and Cornwall next week for 6 days, so it won’t be on next week either.
PS. The forecast is for loads of rain, but can’t be helped. Anyway, it is our first break away for three years, so we are determined to enjoy it, come what may.

We’re at Lizard Point next week, Sou’wester packed :laugh::laugh:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The last few winters since being back in a rented place I have been very careful. Rarely putting the heating on for fear the landlord would raise the rent to cover excess usage.

My bills are included in the rent.

I’m saving for a live aboard boat to get out of the rental market and retire early to spend my days travelling the waterways of Britain and France so I don’t want to spend anything more right now than I absolutely have to. Within reason, obviously. I don’t want to live in a hovel.

Anyway they raised it last month to pass on their costs to their 450 ( yes, 450) tenants making sure that they don’t have to pay an extra penny while we pay all the extra costs. They are also pocketing all the government help, as far as I know. It’s certainly not coming to us.

So now they can go **** themselves. The heating is on anytime I feel chilly. No more winters in blankets for me.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Log Store is pretty full! Part of the joy of winter months is hunkering down by a log fire in the evening.

More to the point we have a shed load of building work done at Jakarta Towers over the years (some planned, some - er - unplanned).

Every time we have work done more & more insulation seems to go in, plus every single window is now double glazed.

As consequence the house is definitely warmer than when we moved here in 2001. A decent combi boiler bought around 10 years ago hasn't harmed either

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here