Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Have we ever relegated another club ?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Our penultimate game is against Southampton and, given their current position they might need a result to have a chance of staying up. This led to wondering have we ever beaten (or drawn with) someone and thus ensured their relegation ?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
In more recent seasons we relegated Wolves (12-13) and Yeovil (13-14) at the Amex.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I thought they were already down?

Wasn't that the game when Jamie O'Hara threw his wolves shirt into the away end and someone threw it back?
They needed to win, other results to go their way and a goal difference swing to stay up. We won 2-0 confirming their relegation.

As it was even a win wouldn't have saved Wolves as Barnsley drew to ensure they stayed up.

Last edited:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
It was that game, yes. They didn't have much hope of staying up, but yes we did relegate them.
But they finished on 51 points and Barnsley finished in 21st place on 55, I know I sat my Maths O Level in 1980 but surely even beating us they still would have gone down?

Edit sorry just seen Joey's post :ffsparr:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
That
I thought they were already down?

Wasn't that the game when Jamie O'Hara threw his wolves shirt into the away end and someone threw it back?
That wasn’t O’Hara.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I think we relegated Sheffield Wednesday at the Withdean the same season we went down on the last day of the season at Grimsby.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I don't think I'd include Wolves either. It has to be when a result against us would've made a difference to relegation that day or not.
Hard to say completely though, isn't it? Perhaps if Wolves had scored a couple early against us, the Barnsley fans would've got wind of it and the atmosphere more nervous at their game, which affected the result.

Ok probably clutching at straws a bit. But the games aren't completely independent on the final day, scores in other games can have an impact on each other.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I think we should include Reading missing out on the play offs

Gives me the chance to post this clip again :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :O:O:O:O

Meanwhile

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I think we should include Reading missing out on the play offs

Gives me the chance to post this clip again :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :O:O:O:O

Meanwhile

That is a quality video! Just checked on Wiki and see that it's been a whole 10 years since Reading were relegated from the PL.

Also, I spotted this little nugget: 'On 1 March 2023, British media reported that the team was facing another six-point deduction for breaching profitability and sustainability rules.'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here