Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have we cooked our goose with some fans?

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Have been trying to persuade some Carlisle fans to write to Prezza etc... all I have had from them is: "I remember passing a bucket round the Howard Arms* for you lot when you were in the shit, and then I remember coming to the Withdean when we needed a draw to stay up and there were six thousand of you lot singing 'going down', so you can sod off".

*The Howard is one of the main CUFC pubs in Carlisle

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
A case of you can't please all the people all of the time. I have had a couple of knock backs, but for those couple, the majority of people asked have been fantastic.

Also they are a club that geographicaly are more out on a limb than we are. And they have struggled, I think partially, because of that and bad ownership for an awful long time.

Anyway, let's be positive. We must win this battle to see the end of the war.

Stumpy Tim

There's a difference between football banter, and wanting to see a team go out of business. Singing "Going Down" is harmless banter, but if Carlisle were going to go under then I'm sure we would help them

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I've frequently thought that some of our fans' actions could cause other teams' fans to develop a disliking of us...as usual it is the minority who get us branded as arrogant and thankfully the majority of other teams' fans can see beyond them.

Lessons to be learned by some-you never know when things may start going wrong..............

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Have been trying to persuade some Carlisle fans to write to Prezza etc... all I have had from them is: "I remember passing a bucket round the Howard Arms* for you lot when you were in the shit, and then I remember coming to the Withdean when we needed a draw to stay up and there were six thousand of you lot singing 'going down', so you can sod off".

*The Howard is one of the main CUFC pubs in Carlisle

Selective memories, can I suggest you go back to them and remind them that it was our 7 goals at Chester that sent them down, on goal difference, instead of Carlisle :ohmy:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A fine example on Saturday...

We spend time before the game trying to get Wycombe fans on-side, handing out leaflets and explaining the situation.

Then as soon as we're in the ground the same old "There's no-one there..." starts up, instantly destroying any good feeling they might have had for us. Not clever.

BrightonBelle

Jan 5, 2004
Burgess Hill
Some people have very short memories. Maybe you should remind those Carlisle fans that last time we were up there, during the foot and mouth crisis, we had a collection that raised nearly £600 for their Cumbrian farmers.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
cpfc rivals hate me , gillingham rivals hate me

scotjem

Oct 25, 2003
Glasgow
Times like these you worry just how prophetic some of those "we'll never play you again" chants really were.

BrightonBelle said:
Some people have very short memories. Maybe you should remind those Carlisle fans that last time we were up there, during the foot and mouth crisis, we had a collection that raised nearly £600 for their Cumbrian farmers.

Beat me to it - my thoughts exactly.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Bozza said:

We spend time before the game trying to get Wycombe fans on-side, handing out leaflets and explaining the situation.

Then as soon as we're in the ground the same old "There's no-one there..." starts up, instantly destroying any good feeling they might have had for us. Not clever.

I keep being told not to be so sensitive "It's only banter". The "We'll never play you again" banter hasn't endeared some fans to us either...

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Bozza said:

Fine words... the only black spot on an otherwise brilliant day. Banter is all right, but there's a time and a place for it. Also shame about the anti-Coppell chants, bearing in mind the assistance he's given the campaign.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Are we still allowd to sing anti Palarse songs even though their fans are writing in our support?

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
To be honest, I was not aware about the help Coppell had given us until I read NSC on Monday and apologised when I found out on my thread "Coppell is Gay"!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
braders7 said:
cpfc rivals hate me , gillingham rivals hate me

OK but what do they think about the Albion Braders?

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
I don’t think we have. Albion fans have done a lot for other teams and given much needed support. Doncaster being the most obvious example.

I don’t have a problem with teams chanting “we will never play you again”, as it is just a bit of banter, is rarely the case and so many teams do it. But I do think the Carlisle relegation chant of a few years back was silly and insensitive, and I can understand a few of their fans disliking us because of it.

But in general I think our relations with other clubs are quite good. I still remember pretty much the whole Wigan end in the penultimate game at the Goldstone holding up ‘Archer Out’ signs.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I remeber going to Chester away and they were singing "You're going down" to us! I have to admit that I was quite please they did indeed go down in the end but I wouldn't want to see them go out of business!

Football is on the pitch (anything goes)
Survival of a club is off the pitch!

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
BrightonBelle said:

I remember shaking the bucket (before I lived here, this was) ...and there's nothing that riles people in towns in Cumbria quite as much as farmers getting more cash in the form of subsidies etc.

One Carlisle messageboard brought that up too, and called it "Tories sticking together" for some reason.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here