NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Great thread :thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, probably (hopefully) many of them are - but maybe this is where the PFA needs to come in and co-ordinate things. A bit of transparency - and probably some targeted to the stewards and ground-staff etc. to prevent the owners going to the government (taxpayers) to pay for the furlough.

I can see both sides of the argument.

For example Spurs - colossal profits year after year, with the stadium built still £123m in the bank as at June 2019, and Spuds-licker Jenas boasting that they took more on matchdays 2019/20 than any other club (in the millions per match). Why should their players be targeted for a pay cut, over owners Joe Lewis and Levy not bearing lower profits for a few months? The players behind the scenes giving generously to NHS charities out of their net pay, seems a worthy alternative.

Then there are the loss making clubs down the PL food chain such as CP and Brighton. Players forfeiting or deferring a chunk of pay would help mitigate the losses to the club. But I'm not saying the players should.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Go have a lie down. You are spouting complete drivel.

I "vilify the self employed".

You have no idea how angry that comment makes me when all I've done, for weeks, is work (for free) to try to help them.

I hope you get banned for trolling. Disgraceful. I also hope you have a word with yourself and realise what a horrible person you are coming across as.

Just stop it. And I am being nice, or I'd say what I really thought.

With you being hard as hell, this may or may not be the right time to tell you that someone FINALLY uploaded the whole version of "Rock the Bells" from the Def Jam tour.

Jan 30, 2008
The rich keeping rich ,obscene doesn't cover it yet you'll be back falling over yourselves, reminds me of the misty n roots track Rich man
Regards
DF

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The rich keeping rich ,obscene doesn't cover it yet you'll be back falling over yourselves, reminds me of the misty n roots track Rich man
Regards
DF

We will all be getting a shock at the next Budget ( whenever ) I reckon there will be at least 5% on all levels of income tax. ( April 21 ) There has to be. Huge holes in the Exchequer have to be filled. It can't all be borrowed. Its the only way to maintain public services at a reasonable level. Its the inevitable consequence of a prolonged lockdown and huge loss of revenue.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We will all be getting a shock at the next Budget ( whenever ) I reckon there will be at least 5% on all levels of income tax. ( April 21 ) There has to be. Huge holes in the Exchequer have to be filled. It can't all be borrowed. Its the only way to maintain public services at a reasonable level. Its the inevitable consequence of a prolonged lockdown and huge loss of revenue.

It's generally accepted by both left and right wing think tanks that taxes will rise to service the huge new increase in public debt. That's without even tackling the capital balance.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It's generally accepted by both left and right wing think tanks that taxes will rise to service the huge new increase in public debt. That's without even tackling the capital balance.
How to do that while trying to kickstart an economy that's in recession will be an interesting problem to solve.

I think tax increases will be secondary, for a while.

It would be economic madness to bump tax up when you have a worldwide economic disaster.

Jan 30, 2008

Possibly ,the money has to come from somewhere
We will have to wait and see
Regards
DF

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
How to do that while trying to kickstart an economy that's in recession will be an interesting problem to solve.

I think tax increases will be secondary, for a while.

It would be economic madness to bump tax up when you have a worldwide economic disaster.

Absolutely. At record low public borrowing rates including gilts, getting the economy going will be the number one priority.

The Resolution Foundation, for example, were just answering questions about how fiscally will the UK deal with the final bill

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Go on then, I'm confused!
Exactly as Weststander has said.
Also if you dont see something wrong with laying off non playing staff many of whom live pay day to pay day, while maintaining the ridiculously high salaries of millionaires? Or that these millionaires still demand payment in such times? If you think that the ethical thing to expect in a time like this that the support staff lose their livelihoods when a modest paycut to extraordinarily wealthy football players could avert this, then I am glad I dont share your world view.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here