Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have Chelsea ruined the Euro 2012's?

robbie c

Jan 30, 2008
Leighton buzzard
Will the parking the bus, roping the dope tactics successfully employed by Di Matteo, become adopted by the lesser nations, to combat the tiki-taka that some of us enjoy?

Are we faced with weeks of soccer boredom or should we lobby Platini to dispense with 120 minutes [after the group stages] and go straight to penalties?:nono:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Greece did it all those years ago and I think it's great that a lesser team wins!!!! Dodgeball baby!!! Support the underdog

We are-come on England!

D

Deleted member 18477

It'll make a great euros if an underdog wins (hopefully England).

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Greece did it all those years ago and I think it's great that a lesser team wins!!!! Dodgeball baby!!! Support the underdog

That Greek team will live long in the memory for their team-work and audacity. :thumbsup:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Maybe Lampard, Cole and Terry could teach their bus-parking tactics to the rest of the team. Don't get me wrong, its not sexy football. But, if it results in England getting to the Semis, I would be happy.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
That Greek team will live long in the memory for their team-work and audacity. :thumbsup:

And the piss up we had in Cyprus that night! You'd have thought Cyprus had won it-celebrations well into the next day.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
We used it to beat Spain so don't rule it out of the Euros.

I would rather we went out playing gung ho flair football tbh.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
There is as much an art to good, organised defending as there is a 35-pass team goal. Barcelona players come out every time they lose and bitch and moan that it's "anti-football", but f*** them. What are teams supposed to do, play four up top and just let them win the game? The better team is the one who scores more goals in the game, not the team with the highest pass-completion rate, however pleasing it may be on the eye. I love how Albion play but look at how Liverpool turned us over at the Amex - sat back, absorbed our pressure (we had something like 63% possession) and hit us on the break with pace and quality. If someone does that to Germany or Spain or Holland, and turns them over, fair play to them I say. But maybe that's because I'm a defender, I dunno. P'raps if I was a tricksy attacking midfielder I'd think differently.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Will the parking the bus, roping the dope tactics successfully employed by Di Matteo, become adopted by the lesser nations, to combat the tiki-taka that some of us enjoy?

Are we faced with weeks of soccer boredom or should we lobby Platini to dispense with 120 minutes [after the group stages] and go straight to penalties?:nono:

Counter-attacking football has been with us for years. It's not as if Di Matteo has suddenly invented it. Quite frankly, if you enjoy 70% possession and still can't score more than your opponents, you don't deserve to win.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Maybe Lampard, Cole and Terry could teach their bus-parking tactics to the rest of the team. Don't get me wrong, its not sexy football. But, if it results in England getting to the Semis, I would be happy.

with Hodgeson managing i wouldnt be at all surprised if we play a "disiplined" formation. we have more than a bit of pace for counter attacking, the weak spot is not having the Drogba like machine to bludgen his way into the area. could Carroll do this?

D

Deleted member 18477

with Hodgeson managing i wouldnt be at all surprised if we play a "disiplined" formation. we have more than a bit of pace for counter attacking, the weak spot is not having the Drogba like machine to bludgen his way into the area. could Carroll do this?

Carroll can do it. We saw him do it against Chelsea!!

Drogba is a lot more consistent though..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

What are teams supposed to do, play four up top and just let them win the game?

...... to bludgen his way into the area. could Carroll do this?

Jesus this is depressing reading. I guess you're all really disappointed Big Sam did not get the England job? I was hoping supporters were slowly moving away from back-to-the-wall launch it up to the big fella type of football.

danish seagull

Apr 16, 2012
København

I enjoyed watching some of Chelsea's defending as much as any attacking football I've seen. Proper team spirit, grit and determination.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Jesus this is depressing reading. I guess you're all really disappointed Big Sam did not get the England job? I was hoping supporters were slowly moving away from back-to-the-wall launch it up to the big fella type of football.

I don't see how my comment could be interpreted that way. In fact I notice you didn't quote where I say "I love how Albion play"? My comment was that solid defending is as much to be admired as good attacking play. Not that teams who play long ball deserve to win. If it's such depressing reading, perhaps you should have spent a little more time actually reading it? Might cheer you up a bit. :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't see how my comment could be interpreted that way. In fact I notice you didn't quote where I say "I love how Albion play"? My comment was that solid defending is as much to be admired as good attacking play. Not that teams who play long ball deserve to win. If it's such depressing reading, perhaps you should have spent a little more time actually reading it? Might cheer you up a bit. :thumbsup:

I did read your thread. As you say, perhaps it is because you're a defender :smile:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is the first time in decades we have gone into an international Championship with absolutely no hope of winning it.

For that reason, we're only gonna go and bloody win the thing!

Wrong, for the first time in decades we will match the country's expectation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here