Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hatton Garden

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
Is this place all its hyped up to be? Is it really worth getting your ring from here? do you get ripped off? any recommended shops or places to steer clear of.

Answers on a messageboard please?

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
just dreaming i think?!? just out of interest in case anyone wants to ask me:)

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
captainmorganrum said:
: triestoprizeweddingringoff :

Oh, if I wasn't already hitched.:love:

when did you get married? or i have missed everything?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Seriously, if you want to buy good quality jewellery, far better than you can afford in somewhere like Hatton Garden, go to an Auction.

Superwife works at one, and I assure you, you will pay a quarter to a third the price a shop would sell at. You get a choice of antique (girls love that) recent and very often brand new items.

The thing is, most of their customers are dealers, so they go to the auction rooms to buy what they are going to sell in their shops, at a considerable profit.

All you need to do is find your local auction rooms, go along to their pre-sale viewing, see somthing you like, they will then tell you the estimate, put on your bid, and call them back after the sale to see if you got it. Simple

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
Superphil said:
Seriously, if you want to buy good quality jewellery, far better than you can afford in somewhere like Hatton Garden, go to an Auction.

Superwife works at one, and I assure you, you will pay a quarter to a third the price a shop would sell at. You get a choice of antique (girls love that) recent and very often brand new items.

The thing is, most of their customers are dealers, so they go to the auction rooms to buy what they are going to sell in their shops, at a considerable profit.

All you need to do is find your local auction rooms, go along to their pre-sale viewing, see somthing you like, they will then tell you the estimate, put on your bid, and call them back after the sale to see if you got it. Simple

can you gaurantee its legit though? i am panicky about buying diamonds and getting ripped off.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
um doesnt quite have the same effect as going looking round shops though does it?:lol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I work a couple of streets away from Hatton Garden and I occasionally look in the windows (just in case I decide to make an honest woman out of Mrs G). IMHO, Hatton Garden is not particularly cheap (but where is for diamonds?) but you will get an incredible amount of choice. Something for everbody, as they say.

It mainly seems to be new though, personally I prefer a bit of antique tom myself.

Caz,

We had our ring hand made in Durham, we helped to design it, the geezer place was within a castle, so great setting etc.

We made a long weekend of it and stayed with friends and the cost was about half the price of Hatton gardens, so I got one as well!

I can send you the details, if you are interested.

LC

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Don't worry about the legitimacy of Auctions, they abide by strict codes of conduct. As for the cost, see my message above, you'll pay a fraction of the cost you would in a shop.

As for diamonds you'll get a carat diamond ring for £300 - £400, you won't get change from a grand in a shop.

**awaits comical comments about carrots**

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
caz99 said:
um doesnt quite have the same effect as going looking round shops though does it?:lol:

I can be very enjoyable, and you'll see a lot of different things, rather than just a selcetion of diamond grade dust set in similar gold settings.

I quite enjoy spending an hour or so wandering round the sale room looking at all the stuff, trouble is, we now have a house full of stuff from the auction, oh how I long for something new!!!

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
London Calling said:
Caz,

We had our ring hand made in Durham, we helped to design it, the geezer place was within a castle, so great setting etc.

We made a long weekend of it and stayed with friends and the cost was about half the price of Hatton gardens, so I got one as well!

I can send you the details, if you are interested.

LC

yes please pm if you can

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I bought an engagement ring from Hatton Garden - in my view the premium you pay for it's reputation is more than compensated for by the choice, and wholesale prices you still can find there. Only tip would be to leave some time, shop around , don't buy the first one you like etc etc.

One organisation I would recommend is 'Goldfinger' (I'm sure you'd find it on the web) - cheesy name but they come to your house with hundreds, save you trekking around. They have a workshop only at Hatton Garden but no actual shop, so no overheads, hence good value. I think they have some sort of base in Horsham.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here