Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hats off to the recruitment team!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
They’ve found two absolute diamonds in Mwepu & Cucurella. Yes, we spent the best part of £30m on the pair but they both look like sure fire top half players.

They also found Gonzalez & Nunez who I’m sure would have been equally adept in the Premier League if we’d got them over the line.

And our future looks to good too. Sarmiento is knocking on the door of the first team whilst hopefully, Sima will come good.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Bissouma took 18 months to start putting in the kind of performance that Mwepu is putting in after 3 months. Cucurella has hit the ground running, Bissouma is almost back, Tariq is nearly back to his best. Imagine all 4 on the field firing on cylinders-

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
They have recommended some absolute Turkeys but they have also found a few gems ... overall 6.5/10.

Today's starting XI that went toe to toe with Liverpool cost around £75 mill and you only give the recruitment team 6.5 out of 10? What would they have to do to even get an 8?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Today's starting XI that went toe to toe with Liverpool cost around £75 mill and you only give the recruitment team 6.5 out of 10? What would they have to do to even get an 8?

I’d rate them a 9.

Jahanbakhsh/Locadia …. were they bought pre the dynamic duo of Ashworth & Winstanley teamed up?

As for strikers, in an intensely competitive marketplace, they’ve come up with them - Maupay and Nunez …. it appeared that TB wasn’t prepared to pay the asking price for the latter in an earlier window.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I’d rate them a 9.

Jahanbakhsh/Locadia …. were they bought pre the dynamic duo of Ashworth & Winstanley teamed up?

As for strikers, in an intensely competitive marketplace, they’ve come up with them - Maupay and Nunez …. it appeared that TB wasn’t prepared to pay the asking price for the latter in an earlier window.

Ali J and the DJ both pre date Ashworth but Winstanley has been here heading up the team since September 2014, so both scouted and recruited under his leadership. No scouting and recruitment team will ever be 100% successful, but with the likes of Gross, Veltman and Lamptey being absolute bargains by PL standards I think ours haven't done too badly at all.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Mwepu is rough around the edges technically at times, but he’s a natural athlete and he dovetails nicely with Biss.
Cucurella looks a force already - none of this six months to settle in nonsense.
Lamptey for 3 million. That’s just silly.
And a special mention to AJ and Big Jurg. If they hadn’t been so terrible, the recruitment team may never have been sorted out.
Cheers guys.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Still early days for Mwepu, but he certainly appears to be the real deal.

Seen enough of Cucurella to say with absolute confidence that he's the real deal. Amazing player, one of the best LWB's in the league.

Also, remember that they are both ONLY 23...
Cucurella is proper quality MOM performances almost weekly the amount of time he’s on the ball during a match is insane.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Ali J and the DJ both pre date Ashworth but Winstanley has been here since September 2014, so both scouted and recruited under his leadership. No scouting and recruitment team will ever be 100% successful, but with the likes of Gross, Veltman and Lamptey being absolute bargains by PL standards I think ours haven't done too badly at all.

Agree - no recruitment is ever 100% bang on. While we have done well with the bargains it’s a shame our bigger money signings haven’t worked - but still Webster has, Mwepu looks like he will so not totally bad

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
Mwepu is rough around the edges technically at times, but he’s a natural athlete and he dovetails nicely with Biss.
Cucurella looks a force already - none of this six months to settle in nonsense.
Lamptey for 3 million. That’s just silly.
And a special mention to AJ and Big Jurg. If they hadn’t been so terrible, the recruitment team may never have been sorted out.
Cheers guys.

And with GP as the manager!! oh yeah and Jacob Moder too!!!!

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Judging the performance of the recruitment team performance on one match (or even one season) is obviously very silly and unrepresentative.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ali J and the DJ both pre date Ashworth but Winstanley has been here heading up the team since September 2014, so both scouted and recruited under his leadership. No scouting and recruitment team will ever be 100% successful, but with the likes of Gross, Veltman and Lamptey being absolute bargains by PL standards I think ours haven't done too badly at all.

Liverpool, Brighton and Leicester stand out to me as having great transfer records in recent seasons. Few expensive blunders.

Money isn’t always the key determinate - Chelsea £72m Kepa, Pogba’s not justified the £89m, Di Maria, Haller, Joelinton.

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
Liverpool, Brighton and Leicester stand out to me as having great transfer records in recent seasons. Few expensive blunders.

Money isn’t always the key determinate - Chelsea £72m Kepa, Pogba’s not justified the £89m, Di Maria, Haller, Joelinton.

Grealish £100mill Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!......etc

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
They’ve found two absolute diamonds in Mwepu & Cucurella. Yes, we spent the best part of £30m on the pair but they both look like sure fire top half players.

They also found Gonzalez & Nunez who I’m sure would have been equally adept in the Premier League if we’d got them over the line.

And our future looks to good too. Sarmiento is knocking on the door of the first team whilst hopefully, Sima will come good.

Good thread.

The pipeline of new players coming in, is something to enjoy. Veltman at 900k and Moder at 5m? are also worth a mention.

We scored two good goals against Liverpool. At Anfield. With no recognised strikers. We were easily worth the point we got.
We now appear to be competing at something like the level Leicester were a year or two ago, on the fringes of the top 6, and who are currently below us in the table.

Don't forget that we are a work in progress. We are just seeing a snapshot somewhere along what could be a five year plan or longer.
There's no reason at all to think we can't improve more, and every reason to think we will.

You mention the future - Sima and Sarmiento. I'll mention Caicedo, who is in good hands with RUSG, and who in my opinion is the gem. He's a real ball winner. Then there's the academy players.

I think you were wrong when you said 'peak Albion'. I think the peak is yet to come.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Good thread.

The pipeline of new players coming in, is something to enjoy. Veltman at 900k and Moder at 5m? are also worth a mention.

We scored two good goals against Liverpool. At Anfield. With no recognised strikers. We were easily worth the point we got.
We now appear to be competing at something like the level Leicester were a year or two ago, on the fringes of the top 6, and who are currently below us in the table.

Don't forget that we are a work in progress. We are just seeing a snapshot somewhere along what could be a five year plan or longer.
There's no reason at all to think we can't improve more, and every reason to think we will.

You mention the future - Sima and Sarmiento. I'll mention Caicedo, who is in good hands with RUSG, and who in my opinion is the gem. He's a real ball winner. Then there's the academy players.

I think you were wrong when you said 'peak Albion'. I think the peak is yet to come.
Lovely x And true.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here