Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
United outclassed by youthful Albion - 1/8/05
Hastings United XI (0) 0 - 5 (2) Brighton & Hove Albion XI

Robinson 17, 45, 71
McPhee 52
Jarrett 59

United crashed to a heavy home defeat in their fourth pre-season encounter this evening, as Dean White's young Brighton & Hove Albion side proved a class above at the Pilot Field. Albion's right sided midfielder Jake Robinson grabbed the headlines with a hattrick, although left winger Albert Jarrett was the outstanding player on view, capping a tremendous performance with a superb goal in the second half.

Although not at full strength, United were still able to field an experienced line-up and competed well in the early exchanges, only for Albion to take the lead out of nothing in the seventeenth minute. As a United attack broke down, Gary Elphick launched a long ball out of his own penalty area for Robinson to chase. Steve Yates beat him to the ball, but Robinson managed to charge down his attempted clearance and advanced to beat Liam Sparkes with a low shot. Robinson later brought a sprawling save out of Sparkes with a curling, twenty-five yard effort, Mark McCammon shot wastefully wide from Chris McPhee's inviting cross and Jarrett thumped a shot against the post from a narrow angle, as Brighton enjoyed a dominant spell before the interval. Sam Adams came within a whisker of a debut goal for United, just failing to direct a header on target, after Chris Honey had flicked on a Danny Ellis corner. Moments later, as Albion counter-attacked quickly, Jarrett outpaced Jimmy Elford down the left and delivered a deep cross, which Robinson collected, before stepping inside Steve's challenge and dispatching another low shot past Liam.

A couple of early second half substitutions failed to stem the flow of pressure on the United defence and Albion managed to double their interval advantage within a quarter of an hour of the restart. First, Jarrett's trickery in midfield resulted in a precision pass to McPhee, Liam doing well to block his first shot, only for the striker to net from the rebound. The tackles rather began to fly in at that point and Sean Ray was well and truly punished for one late challenge, when Jarrett curled a stunning twenty-five yard free kick in off the inside of a post to put the visitors four up. Ade Olorunda headed Steve's free kick into the side netting as United strived to get back into the game, but there was no let-up in the Albion onslaught and Robinson completed a fine personal treble with a fiercely struck thirty yard shot, which flew past young substitute keeper Josh Willis with about twenty minutes remaining. Josh produced a couple of decent saves to twice deny Brighton substitute Dean Cox in the closing stages, whilst Ade chipped over from close range under intense pressure from Adam El-Abd as the game neared its conclusion.

Despite the severity of the defeat, United showed a commendable spirit throughout the match, remaining particularly combative in midfield, although in truth, Albion were simply too good on the night. United will hope to shrug off the disappointing result in two further friendlies this week, at Eastbourne United Association tomorrow and at home to Sidley United on Friday evening.

________________________________________________________________ Hastings United XI Brighton & Hove Albion XI
1 Liam Sparkes 1 John Sullivan
2 Rhys Whyborne 2 Adam El-Abd
3 Steve Yates 3 Joel Lynch
4 Sean Ray 4 Tommy Elphick
5 Ben White 5 Gary Elphick
6 Jimmy Elford 6 Tommy Fraser
7 Danny Ellis 7 Jake Robinson
8 Chris Honey 8 Lee Carey
9 Sam Adams 9 Mark McCammon
10 Shaun Loft 10 Chris McPhee
11 Tim Olorunda 11 Albert Jarrett

Substitutes

12 Ade Olorunda (for Adams 50) 12 Dean Cox (for McCammon 45)
14 Dan Mitchell (for Loft 75) 13 Chris Winterton (for Sullivan 75)
15 Mitchell Sherwood (for Ellis 64) 14 Joe Gatting (for McPhee 70)
16 Nigel Kane (for T Olorunda 68) 15 Steve May (for T Elphick 68)
17 Julian Ramirez (for Whyborne 52)
GK Josh Willis (for Sparkes 65)

Tigers shirt

Jul 31, 2005
Burwash
If Robinson does'nt play against Derby I'll be amazed, he was on fire last night. I know it was only against Hastings but they tried to kick him to death and he still scored a real quality hat-trick. Sat in the stand with Mark Mcghee, Hinshalwood and Bob Booker and when the 30 yarder ,which completed his hatrick went in they all looked amazed and started clapping. Mcghee had a litle rye smle on his face as if to say this boy is quality.

Oh yes John Keely quality bloke took the time out to have a chat, he can't wait until saturday either, hates pre-season!

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Jake played very well - a naturally gifted player. I think he is an excellent alternative to Leon, he started on the right wing so he may well push leon for a starting place this season.

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
I went last night, and I was impressed with the overall Brighton fans turn out. Jake was on fire all night but I was also impressed with Albert Jarrett and Adam El Abd gets better everytime I see him play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here