Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Hasenhuttl - New signings should be BANNED from re-arranged games

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It is still changing the rules of the game mid season …. People want fairness and integrity and that isn’t either.

You can’t punish a club AFTER a decision has been made … simple as that.

Clubs pushed for postponements because it suited them, would they have pushed for them IF this rule had been in place … maybe not. But you can’t put new rules in places after decisions have been already made (despite how dodgy they are )

However.. this rule SHOULD be implemented for subsequent seasons to stop anything like this happening again.

There are a LOT of rules (or laws, whichever) that should have been sorted out, agreed and implemented after the 2019-20 season, when things that couldn't happen did happen - and rules weren't in place to cover the situation. Now they know it can - and has - happened, the rules to cover this sort of eventuality should be in place.
But this is the PL ...........................................

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Why though? What if different players are injured, what if the weather is worse etc... What if players are now at AFCON?

This has only come up now - because it is Newcastle. I don't recall this ever coming up before.

I don’t think we have ever had games called off before, for a pandemic. I may be wrong, I wasn’t alive during the Spanish Flu pandemic.

This is hopefully a one off situation, is it fair Newcastle, Villa etc, can play their shiny new signings for games expressly postponed for Covid? You cannot get games postponed normally for injury, why should some clubs benefit from their players being ill.

Rules have also been changed mid season, the substitutions were increased to benefit clubs over the second half of last season, some clubs, usually the ones with better squads benefited from this disproportionately.

Last edited:

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
This whole situation is a mess. Unfortunately, in legal/technical terms it was the PL that we made the decision not one of the clubs so I doubt the suggested change would survive if vchallenged.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I don’t think we have ever had games called off before, for a pandemic. I may be wrong, I wasn’t alive during the Spanish Flu pandemic.

This is hopefully a one off situation, is it fair Newcastle, Villa etc, can play their shiny new signings for games expressly postponed for Covid? You cannot get games postponed normally for injury, why should some clubs benefit from their players being ill.

The Football League was suspended for a large part of the Spanish Flu pandemic as it hadn't restarted following the end of WW1. The first league games were played on 30th August 1919 and the pandemic lasted until April 1920, so I don't think it had anywhere near the impact we are seeing with Covid.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Can we backdate the 1983 Cup final and replay the replay?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The Football League was suspended for a large part of the Spanish Flu pandemic as it hadn't restarted following the end of WW1. The first league games were played on 30th August 1919 and the pandemic lasted until April 1920, so I don't think it had anywhere near the impact we are seeing with Covid.

Thanks for that. Every days a school day.

Re inforces my point, these are unique times, and problems require unique solutions.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
In normal times, clubs can't get games called off because of injuries though can they.

Was it just injuries though? I sense the cynical comment by yourself but I assume that it was a combination of covid positive case and injuries.

It could happen to us, we've had a number of injuries and then a few positive covid cases mean that tips the balance.

That said, I still want Newcastle to go down but I think Ralf's comments are clutching at straws.

As someone else pointed out, if you can't play new signings then you should also recall players you've sold which is ludicrous. Southampton have just been sold and who's to say their new owner won't finance a major signing that improves their team.

It's always been like that. The alternative is that you abolish the January window!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think it is a good idea ( I had thought that before Hassenhuttl suggested it) however I don't think the question should have arisen in first place. Each PL team has a 25 man squad and generally another U23 team to take that to 40+ players , I don't think Man U or Newcastle (or any of the other teams where games were cancelled ) could not actually field 11 players and 3 subs.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Was it just injuries though? I sense the cynical comment by yourself but I assume that it was a combination of covid positive case and injuries.

It could happen to us, we've had a number of injuries and then a few positive covid cases mean that tips the balance.

That said, I still want Newcastle to go down but I think Ralf's comments are clutching at straws.

As someone else pointed out, if you can't play new signings then you should also recall players you've sold which is ludicrous. Southampton have just been sold and who's to say their new owner won't finance a major signing that improves their team.

It's always been like that. The alternative is that you abolish the January window!

Why ? If you've CHOSEN to sell a player, then you have absolutely zero recourse to recall them. The contract is signed, the player registration has passed on, money has changed hands, the deal is done. That argument does not hold water against a simple rule to prevent new January signings from playing in re-arranged fixtures that were scheduled to be played a month or so earlier, when the new 'star signings' would not have been involved.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Haven't read the thread so sorry if this has already been pointed out. Using his logic teams who have injured players that come good during the postponement period should be prevented from fielding them. Its a daft idea.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Haven't read the thread so sorry if this has already been pointed out. Using his logic teams who have injured players that come good during the postponement period should be prevented from fielding them. Its a daft idea.

If you'd read the thread then you'd know that theory has already been junked. Games do NOT get called off because of injuries, so its a completely specious argument.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If you'd read the thread then you'd know that theory has already been junked. Games do NOT get called off because of injuries, so its a completely specious argument.

Are you sure? A club can have a number out for covid and more out for injuries and then further injuries mean they can't meet the criteria to field a team.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Why ? If you've CHOSEN to sell a player, then you have absolutely zero recourse to recall them. The contract is signed, the player registration has passed on, money has changed hands, the deal is done. That argument does not hold water against a simple rule to prevent new January signings from playing in re-arranged fixtures that were scheduled to be played a month or so earlier, when the new 'star signings' would not have been involved.

How long have you been following football? I ask because it's over 50 years for me and there has always been players bought and sold during the season, originally at any time up until about the middle of March and then with the August and January transfer windows. Ralf is just concerned that Newcastle are going to buy their way out of trouble and put Soton in danger.

It's a dumb proposal.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Are you sure? A club can have a number out for covid and more out for injuries and then further injuries mean they can't meet the criteria to field a team.

In normal times, clubs would not be permitted to have games called off purely because of injuries, that is fact. These times of covid have exacerbated it - they'll "add" the injuries and the covids both together to (somewhat dubiously) get a game conveniently binned.

The issue here is clubs are getting games cancelled, thus getting the opportunity of bolstering their squads in January, to field their newly enhanced teams with new signings. The crucial difference is, thats not existing players coming back from injury - thats NEW PLAYERS who would never have been involved at the time, were the game played on its original date.

Do you not see that as being fundamentally wrong ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
How long have you been following football? I ask because it's over 50 years for me and there has always been players bought and sold during the season, originally at any time up until about the middle of March and then with the August and January transfer windows. Ralf is just concerned that Newcastle are going to buy their way out of trouble and put Soton in danger.

It's a dumb proposal.

Only about 35 years.

We played with a depleted squad in our fixture vs Wolves (covid + injuries), stunk the place out and lost. Other clubs have gone cap in hand to the PL, pleaded that their half-billion pound squads can't cope, and had the benefit of their games being binned and had a nice rest.

Man U and Spurs apparently couldn't muster a team together to face Brighton last month. Can't WAIT to see us playing against them and their shiny new January signings later this season. Handy for them, eh ?

Oh, and of course teams have made signings down the years during the season. But they hadn't previously had the opportunity to get games called off prior to making those new signings.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
In normal times, clubs would not be permitted to have games called off purely because of injuries, that is fact. These times of covid have exacerbated it - they'll "add" the injuries and the covids both together to (somewhat dubiously) get a game conveniently binned.

The issue here is clubs are getting games cancelled, thus getting the opportunity of bolstering their squads in January, to field their newly enhanced teams with new signings. The crucial difference is, thats not existing players coming back from injury - thats NEW PLAYERS who would never have been involved at the time, were the game played on its original date.

It is a slight advantage to have a new player maybe, but maybe not, depends on how they fit in, or how quickly they fit in. Bruno Fernandez transformed Man Utd results pretty quickly when he arrived, I think Newcastle are still trying to work out what to do with Joelinton though, 2 and a half seasons after signing him.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I'm not sure that's right. If a team had more than 11 first team squad injuries it may well have been called off but I can't remember a situation like that previously to test it.

It will be interesting to see if Man Utd do strengthen their squad. They have a temp manager so are they likely to splash out on a player that the new 'permanent' manager then doesn't want. Also, if half the reports are to be believed then half the squad want to leave anyway!!!

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia

No its not a specious argument. The game gets cancelled due to covid, the opposition has several players out due to injury, by the time the game is played the injured players are fit. Please show me how this is different from the game is postponed due to covid, the postponement occurs during the transfer window, the opposition now has a new player to call upon. Either way the opposition has players to call upon which were not available had the game not been postponed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here