Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Hasenhuttl - New signings should be BANNED from re-arranged games

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No its not a specious argument. The game gets cancelled due to covid, the opposition has several players out due to injury, by the time the game is played the injured players are fit. Please show me how this is different from the game is postponed due to covid, the postponement occurs during the transfer window, the opposition now has a new player to call upon. Either way the opposition has players to call upon which were not available had the game not been postponed.

Its quite simple. Since getting the game called off, they'll have had the opportunity to enhance and strengthen their squad for the re-arranged fixture - in theory, it could be a whole new team. You think thats fair, I don't. Lets leave it at that.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Its quite simple. Since getting the game called off, they'll have had the opportunity to enhance and strengthen their squad for the re-arranged fixture - in theory, it could be a whole new team. You think thats fair, I don't. Lets leave it at that.

No let's not leave it at that. What you are proposing is absurd, the idea that in a few weeks there could be wholesale changes within a side is ridiculous, just because something is technically possible does not make it plausible in reality. Your argument for the proposal is no different than the one with a side with several key players out through injury. There are quite a number of sides who rely heavily on a couple of players. I can see the argument that there is a slight difference to bringing a player in but it is a slight difference. How many new players gel straight into a new team? It's a dumb and somewhat desperate proposal.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

I completely agree - at the moment, there is a very clear advantage to teams to get games postponed due to lack of available players. In the example of Newcastle, it is clearly in their interests to play as few matches as possible at the moment and get their new signings in and give them the maximum amount of games possible to save themselves. Leicester were perfectly capable of fielding a team strong enough to blow Watford away, but now have had their re-arranged game with Everton postponed so they can make a signing or two in time for their next fixture. Whether it's clever or incredibly cynical is a matter of opinion but mine is that clubs are currently being incentivised not to play their matches.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Wouldn't it be deliciously karmic if Newcastle have such a fixture pile-up that their fancy new signings pick up injuries as a result and they find themselves relying on Matt Ritchie as a makeshift striker to try and keep them up...

Their last 11 fixtures look pretty tricky - 9 of them are against teams currently placed 11th or higher in the table.

If they don't get much from their next 4 games (all against teams in the bottom 8), they are going to be in all sorts of bother (which is nice)

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Liverpool had their cup semi postponed "because of covid" and yet in the previous 3 rounds they were basically playing kids anyway. Have the kids all gone down with covid too?

Just do away with the 25 man squad. Tell clubs to use their entire strength and only whinge when they don't have 16 fit players AT THE CLUB.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
No let's not leave it at that. What you are proposing is absurd, the idea that in a few weeks there could be wholesale changes within a side is ridiculous, just because something is technically possible does not make it plausible in reality. Your argument for the proposal is no different than the one with a side with several key players out through injury. There are quite a number of sides who rely heavily on a couple of players. I can see the argument that there is a slight difference to bringing a player in but it is a slight difference. How many new players gel straight into a new team? It's a dumb and somewhat desperate proposal.

I think most people see inconsistencies in how rules are applied e.g. our game against Wolves was not cancelled and in NU's case the potential to have a big influx of money and 'gain' a couple of games to use the benefits of said spending money in is seen as unfair.

Regards 'gelling' the fear is a raft of new players who will not need to gel with existing but do enough to escape relegation.

In the end its all a matter of opinion and the fact that most people think that NU will escape relegation when they want them to fail.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here