Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has there ever been a more overrated Brighton defender than Lewis Dunk?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Like everyone gutted at yesterdays result. I expected a few players to get slated today, but very surprised to see that Dunk is one of them.
I thought those around him had poor games, especially Greer.
Top goalscorer and been fairly solid all season.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Bridge then Upson. They are the major difference. When there is a weak link, no matter who it is, it makes every job at the back more difficult. Put a strong link in, and it takes pressure off every player.

Dec 29, 2011
We replaced Upson with Dunk, Greer is severely out of form, Stockdale doesn't save like Kuszsack used to, we replaced Ward with Bennett and Bruno's ability is declining with age. It's no wonder our defensive record is so starkly different to last year when you consider all five positions have got worse in some way.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
I think Greer has hampered Dunk's development, just as he did with Cook and Elphick. He seems to just not have the talking/coaching ability that you expect older centre halves to give their young partner. Over the years this has been done by Butters, Morgan, sometimes Cullip, etc - as far back as Foster 2, Burnett and Cross.
I was expecting Hughes to be that man this season, especially after he hardly played with Upson last year. The one good thing Sami did do was to play Dunk - but with the wrong partner.

Shoreham Beach Seagull

May 6, 2009
Shoreham Beach
He is overrated by fans at the moment, a lot of 5m price tag on him which is no where near the mark. I'd agree his positioning is very suspect at times.

That's said, at the moment is the key point. He's very young for a CB and will learn a lot once he has a few more years under his belt. Greer is certainly not helping and I think his days are numbered (he has done a brilliant job up to the last 2 years)

I have high hopes Dunk will be a quality CB in the future.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
This thread is b*****ks.

I'd go as far as saying that, in terms of Dunk's reading of the game, overall positioning this season and his distribution, he is a lot more advanced than his age would suggest.

Oh, not to mention that he gets a few goals too.

Absolutely, it beggars belief that anyone can be blaming Dunk for where we are at the moment. He is our most consistent performer and top goalscorer. I think some people on here take turns to slag off all our players at one time or another. JFC is not playing so lets have a go at Dunk, nobody's done that for a while.You can't compare his performances against Greer's. If we were to lose him, like Elphick and Cook, those same people would be back on here in two years time complaining that we let him go. As you say this thread is B*****ks.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Not in the view of a Premier scout who says he is too slow in thought and action and very one footed. His view is that he is playing at the correct level and will continue to do so unless we get promoted and he goes up with us. He is not as good and have the potential as the 2 at AFCB (both ex BHA). A scouts view not mine but it is all about opinions.

One of these days you will say something positive about one of our players.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
there is nothing wrong with dunks play. he is very capable. & puts in lots of effort.

the only thing wrong with him is his attitude. he thinks he is better than he is (hence the keepy up own goal he scored at anfield), can be a bit casual & he is prone to petulance (but his is nowhere near as bad as Ashley barnes').

can greer actually do a slide tackle?

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
There's little wrong with Dunk's play, IMO what is wrong is the pairing. Towards the end of last season he looked outstanding at times, the reason Upson, Greer was injuried. When Hughes signed I was hoping he was the old head to bring on Dunk this season but Greer is the capt. so it seems he must play but watch Dunk closely he's always dropping deep to cover Greer,who has no pace and slow to get the ball forward, and Dunk is better at bringing the ball out of defence but hardly ever gets it from the goalie. Hughes is an international with many caps and has played at the top level, so why is he not being used?

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
There is something rotten in our defence at the moment but with respect to the OP I will rely on our management team to find the source of the problem. Easiest thing in the world to point fingers.
But it would be a very easy thing to do.

Lewis Dunk is a class act, who would be so much better if he had a decent centrel defender to learn from. Matthew Upson with Lewis Dunk and we would not have conceeded yesterday. People point the finger at the keeper for the first goal, and rightly so, but he is behind the poorest defence we have had in recent years.

Gordon Greer was past his best last season, and IMO should not play again. He's slow, cant header, cant pass, has shit leadership quailites for a skipper, I really not not understand why he continues to play. Bruno is also pass it, and is weak as a right back, and IMO Bennett offers nothing over Chicksen, who at the moment doesn't offer much himself.

So to sum up, Lewis Dunk is the shinning light, in an otherwise piss poor defence. Forget talk of signing wingers and strikers, its the defence that needs to work, because with a decent central defender instead of Greer, I think we'd be mid table by now.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
We replaced Upson with Dunk, Greer is severely out of form, Stockdale doesn't save like Kuszsack used to, we replaced Ward with Bennett and Bruno's ability is declining with age. It's no wonder our defensive record is so starkly different to last year when you consider all five positions have got worse in some way.

Spot on, been saying this all season. In every area of the defence we are much worse. The club have assumed that we "have enough" to stay up but on current evidence it will be very, very tight. If we stay up, the defence will have to be totally re-built.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Dunk is not the problem. Greer is. I'd be playing Hughes instead of Greer all day long.

Greer is too old, too slow, and too shit.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
One of these days you will say something positive about one of our players.

One day he might have an opinion of his own rather than posting someone else's.

Lets put this in perspective he is an asset to us and probably so far player of the season but the thread is about him being overated and put in a very high price bracket by our supporters. I was pointing out that a scout for a premier club who I happen to know, when pressed by me about him being worth £5m or thereabouts pointed out that in his opinion he wasnt so highly rated as we all think, well at least not by him. That is not to say another clubs scout would think differently. I personally rate him very highly but am no longer employed as a scout.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
The defence has been the foundation of the teams that got us to the play offs, it has sadly been poor this time round.

I think Dunk is the one exception to that. My back 5 for Cardiff would be

..............................Walton...........
Halford..........Dunk......Hughes........Bennett

Greer IMHO needs time out to get his head sorted. Dunk stays in for the goals!!!

Stockdale again IMHO was out of position for the first 2 goals yesterday. Every time the opposition attack I fear a goal, when we attack I do not!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here