Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

has Jamie Vardie turned down arsenal??..

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
So if you were offered double your current wage you would stay and turn the extra money down.

You have stated that no footballer needs to move for money so any player in League 2 with a mortgage and children wouldnt move for money.
I think he meant that the difference between £100k a week and £120k is not that important.

I don't think Vardy is an Arsenal-type player anyway. I would imagine Arsenal would partly take him to disrupt Leicester's challenge next season.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If your current wage was £20k a year then you probably would but if you already earnt £80k a week then I'm not sure how much of a difference it would mean to many people as you can only spend so much and other factors become more important.

Don't forget he is 29 so this will probably be his last big contract and he hasn't spent the last 10 years earning big money at the top of the game, he only signed for Leicester in 2012 and probably hasn't earned that much during that time.

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
People forget that yes more money but also higher expectation and different styles and lifespan of this move, also its a moving family and different location, is it worth it for extra money ? is money everything no.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Don't forget he is 29 so this will probably be his last big contract and he hasn't spent the last 10 years earning big money at the top of the game, he only signed for Leicester in 2012 and probably hasn't earned that much during that time.
Fair point but if he agrees say a 4 year deal that's a gross £16m which is probably about £8m or so after tax so not too shabby.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If I were offered double to move the biggest thing governing if I went or not would be what I would be doing there, what the people there are like and where it was. The money would be last on the list.
A move between leagues is a bit different though for footballer. But intra-league moves and claiming it is for the money is bullshit.

Cobblers. He's finished in 3-4 years time, he needs to maximise his earnings while he still can - and he will NEVER be more valuable than he is right now.

This move could, and should, set him up for life.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
People forget that yes more money but also higher expectation and different styles and lifespan of this move, also its a moving family and different location, is it worth it for extra money ? is money everything no.

At this stage of his career, it is. It really is. Whats left for him after football ?

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
At this stage of his career, it is. It really is. Whats left for him after football ?

I dont agree, he may well not fit into the style of Arsenal and then be on the bench or have fans moaning about him, would he want that for yes more money but he is still on a lot of money at Leicester so he is hardly going to struggle, he earns in a week what a lot of people dont earn in a 5 year spell and then he gets sponsorship money, etc etc so a lot of cash he makes.
Whats left for him in football, i think quite a lot, he can play champions league for a underdog side with less pressure on themselves and he also is enjoying his football and living in Leciester where his family are happy, if we went to Arsenal his family might not be happy and he might feel too much pressure and i think them two things (his family and enjoying playing football) be more important than an extra £50,000 in bank when it might be for only a season and then might not get what earning now at Leicester so sometimes making a big money move over a couple of years might actually make you worse off.
Whats left after football a lot of money in the bank if he stayed at Leicester or left i dont think be a massive difference and also London is more expensive than Leicester to live in, so i think makes no sense at all, his family might hate london and cause issues there so a lot more important than money now and after football, so silly question unless that basic of a person.
I think be a bad move for him, i would say no and stay at Leicester as in champions league and he is main man.

Last edited:

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
How do you know all this? Not the sort of information that would be annonced by the club.

I´m not saying you aren't correct, but how do you know?

Just what has been reported in the press.
Wenger has confirmed tonight on French TV that as far as he was aware Vardy was staying at Leicester (The Metro).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Just what has been reported in the press.
Wenger has confirmed tonight on French TV that as far as he was aware Vardy was staying at Leicester (The Metro).

It was also on Sky Sports earlier. Though now they are saying:

[tweet]744622648798351360[/tweet]

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It was also on Sky Sports earlier. Though now they are saying:

[tweet]744622648798351360[/tweet]

so the latest news is... there is no news. the joy of 24hr news

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Proper slap in the face for Arsenal if he has turned them down :)

In days gone by you had to move to a team like Arsenal to earn a 100k a week... now any Premier League team can pay it if they want/need too, and not have to sit on the bench every other week...

Its what is making the Premier league more of a level playing field and I love that.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
He got some serious abuse on social media from so called Leicester fans. After helping them win the league FFS!

Yep, gone up in my estimation as well. Good to see this.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
'Good on him', not at all. He signed a new contract before but obviously it meant nothing. He was offered a move and guess what, another pay rise. He should have been made to stay.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
call my cynical but this has all the hallmarks of an agent earning his fee.

Agent makes clubs aware of the release clause in his client's contract, Arsenal activate it. Agent then goes back to Leicester, "well, Jamie's on X a week and Arsenal have offered him Y. He'd love to stay so if you were to match it he'll be happy to sign revised contract with updated terms".

Player signs new contract at club.His agent just used the transfer to find out his market value in terms of salary from an established top 4 club and got him on it.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
We all like the story, but the devil is in the detail, I suspect he has a buy out clauses that allow any suitor to buy him if Leicester dont perform, so could be gone in the first transfer window.

But fairplay to both parties, at least they are giving it a chance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here