Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Has Graham Bitten Off More Than He Can Chew?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I hope he fails and gets the boot.

Why? Because for me, Potter was always the embodiment of the greed that festers in professional football.

It‘s impossible to conceive he left to join Chelsea for anything but the money and this was reflected by his cold, detached view of the Albion. Even when the club stood by him in the darker spells, he never looked particularly grateful, just miserable, nonchalant.

Yes, the likes of Klopp, Pep etc also earn monstrous pay packets but they do actually seem to care about their respective clubs, their history, their fanbase.

Potter never seemed more than a narcissist, waving frantically from the shop window - I‘M A TACTICAL GOD, COME AND GET ME….
Excellent post.

Managers/coaches are not all detached professionals working their way up the ladder. There’s a genuine love or affection towards cities and fanbases by some. Lots of examples, I give you Mullery, Horton, Adams, Shankly, Benitez (the first club), Klopp, Ranieri.

Whilst Potter betrayed his own expert skills (on paper) on emotional intelligence and rational thinking with his repeated temper about a minute band of boo-boys. Then he came across as stone cold on and after his departure. No warmth, no tears in the eye I strongly suspect, just a warp speed journey to get behind the desk at Cobham.

I suspect this adds zest to the ill-will towards him in his new job, plus an awful lot of football supporters loathed Chelsea anyway. They share that with Leeds.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Agreed. At BHA we proudly speak about the structure as being all important. Even fans of failing clubs like Everton get that firing Lampard without fundamental changes in how the club is run is a waste of time. Chelsea signed Potter to make that change and build for the future. I reckon the American will follow through and pick sides …..with GP.
I hope Boehly does pick sides with GP. I rather liked his approach - OK, he was naively buying players like a kid in a sweetshop, but I thought his plan of making the club sustainable instead of just buying in a couple of somebody else's superstars every season and overpaying them was quite endearing. OK, he's a multi-multi millionaire, so if he's probably a ruthless bastard too, but he seemed to have the right idea for running the club.
He stil seems to have the 'kid in a sweet shop' mentality though, which os a bit of a concern, I would think, for Potter's vision - but I really hope he faces down the Chelsea supporting whingers and says f*** 'em, carry on Potter. Not sure he will though - people like being popular too, don't they?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He did go back to the training ground to clear out his desk etc.
My guess is, he waltzed in there half expecting all the players to congratulate him on his new job, all full of smiles, and they all felt as let down as we did and didn't like the fact that he was seemingly unapologetic about leaving them, and taking every coach they had worked with for the last 3 years.
The down side to his "caring" about the person style of management, when you drop all those people you cared about like a hot potato, they get a bit hurt. I am sure its a great way to manage if it is genuine.
Just a guess though, you never know, he might be the first name on all the players Xmas card list.
Led by Dunk? He has the same passion for the club as us. Turning up for work day and finding that the coach was taking key club staff with him. When a project seemed only just coming to fruition.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Jesus Christ.

Had a peek at the Chelsea forum.

My feelings have swiftly changed from schadenfreude to pity.

They despise Potter. Regard him as the worst manager in 30 years. As much as I love to see them fail, it's all a bit harsh.

Think Chelsea are just a horrible club with horrible fans to be fair.
But that's at the centre of the issue.

Potter starts here. Undoubtedly improves the football over Hughton but we still go through long periods of poor results and improve only a couple of integers on points for the season and places in the table. His worst calendar year at home was down, not to lack of support, as a certain Swede would have it, but to something else because it was in the year of the plague when we weren't allowed in. Even in his best season ever he went seven games without a goal, losing six of them.

Yet Bloom instantly improved his contract when he saw the performance. Yet many on here pleaded for the project to be given time, for entitlement to be set aside. And, lo and behold, we finally saw the Emperor put on some clothes.

At which point he f***ed off to the first big club that opened the kimono, taking the family silver with him, to mix metaphors.

Many on here said their fans wouldn't be so patient. Many on here said it was a bad move to a club in crisis, relatively speaking. And yet, when it plays out exactly as expected, we're supposed to feel sorry for the multi millionaire?

f*** him and the horse he rode to Cobham on.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Potter's properly lost it
As I said the other day- same as Cucu - twatitus as soon as they go to the arrogant spenders. He’s honestly unrecognisable from his time with us already - sniping and biting - honestly it’s unbelievable - same with Cucurella on the pitch - complete whingey entitled prick now.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Jesus Christ.

They despise Potter. Regard him as the worst manager in 30 years. As much as I love to see them fail, it's all a bit harsh.

Sorry. Are you trying to tell us something we hadn't known for years?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Bloom gave him time and when it finally started to appear to work he f***ed off without a second thought. I found that amusing for all the wrong reasons especially the Potter fan boys who supported him more than the club or so it appeared.
Bloom gives everyone time, he tried to get Hyypia to stay !!! Potter had already turned down a request from Spurs so there was a bit some loyalty. Im sure Bloom was more comfortable knowing the release clause he’d put in was being hit anyway

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Jesus Christ.

Total opposite feeling going the other way!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Jesus Christ.

“Fantastic fans”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here