Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Has Graham Bitten Off More Than He Can Chew?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'd quite like GP to do well as I think he did a good job with us.
I didn't like the fact he took Bruno and Roberts.
I was even more annoyed when they came in for Winstanley.
I don't like Chelsea.
It will be quite interesting if he is given the time that I believe Boehly wants to give him, or whether he succumbs to the entitled fans.
Booing everything that moved at the Amex was definitely a highlight of the season.

So I'll maintain an interest in what happens.

Oh and BBbbboooooooo :wink:

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Chelsea cannot afford to spend too long out of the CL. One season maximum. So it looks like he could get all this season and then will have to be delivering in 23/24. He won't be given two full seasons.
I never think of that point 🤦‍♂️... what's the £benefit of a good run in the CL ? Thanks

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I never think of that point 🤦‍♂️... what's the £benefit of a good run in the CL ? Thanks
Going by recent examples, total additional income from all sauces:

Winning CL £100m
Finalists £84m
Semi £42m

But I don't know if it will affect Chelsea, as it would an honest club such as Spuds, Dortmund. Chelsea spent a world record £261m last summer and are at it again.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
He needs to stay humble. Its a humble group. It is what it is and the boys gave everything.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
He can’t really win. He’s a very capable coach, but the players he now has already know it all, so don’t want to learn from the likes of him. At Brighton the players followed his methods without question and even then it took time to meld. With Roberto they are now like sponges absorbing his ideas without question and look at the results. The problem at Chelsea is the entitled prima donnas not GP. Saying “ forget what TT has coached you to do and do as I say”, isn’t going to work with that lot
Thiago Silva is 38 years old. Total class act. He'll have seen a hundred coaches come and go in his playing lifetime. Why would GP even register on his give-a-f***-o-meter?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
FA cup win will help.......then he gets drawn away at City. Can't help but chuckle.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Bloody complicated. In broad terms, £2.4bn is roughly the total to be allocated between participating teams, split between performance bonuses, coefficient share (based on 10 year performance), and market pool.

Teams knocked out in group stage get around £15m, Chelsea got around £45m for QF last season, Liverpool nearly double that (both helped by prize money denominated in dollars). Put it like this: CL22 didn’t pay for Cucurella.

Bigger problem for Chelsea in particular is the UEFA FFP rules coming into force this month; the aggregate of wages, transfer fees, and agents’ fees cannot exceed 90% on income, reducing to 70% over three seasons. I can’t see how Chelsea will be anywhere near meeting this, unless I am missing something.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
He’s a good coach at making players better who aren’t at the top of their game, that was fine at the Swedish pub team us and Swansea now he has to be a winner and has to deliver the silverware which I’m not sure he is capable of.
Punching the air when they scored against Bmuff was very tinpot with his champions league winning squad.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Yeah, I tend to agree. Will he get the time though? People say Boehly isn't Abramovitch and it's a new regime at Chelsea now where the manager isn't fired at the first sign of trouble. Fair enough .... so why didn't he stick with Tuchel?
From what I've read & heard, they didn't see eye-to-eye on strategy and didn't click on a personal level either.

Boehly likes the stats/data-driven approach, having gone big on analytics with his baseball franchise, so getting someone like Potter made sense after the falling out with Tuchel, who didn't meet the criteria deemed necessary by Boehly (and therefore would never have been hired by him in the first place).

Getting rid of an inherited manager at the first sign of trouble is a bit different to giving your own pick the gooner early doors.

I find myself enjoying watching Potter struggle, despite being very appreciative of the work he did at the Albion. It's pure schadenfreude and mostly aimed at Chelsea and their fans than Potter himself.
Take away the petty emotional angle and I'd actually like Potter to do well for himself. Just not at Chelsea. Or Spurs for that matter (I'd even much prefer them to be relegated over Palace).

Back to the original question... has he bitten off more than he can chew?

It's a tough gig, but I do think that as long as he continues to see eye-to-eye with Boelhy, he'll be given the time to turn it around. If the squad sees that Potter will be backed no matter what, it'll be easier to get them to fall in line. A clear win for Erik ten Hag in his high-profile dick-swinging competition with Ronaldo seems to have done him a world of good at Old Trafford and a public shipping out of a high-profile dissenter at Chelsea would work for Potter too (if it comes to that - I've not seem any evidence of dissent in the squad).
Potter's a slow-burn improver rather than a firefighter, so he needs time

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Bloody complicated. In broad terms, £2.4bn is roughly the total to be allocated between participating teams, split between performance bonuses, coefficient share (based on 10 year performance), and market pool.

Teams knocked out in group stage get around £15m, Chelsea got around £45m for QF last season, Liverpool nearly double that (both helped by prize money denominated in dollars). Put it like this: CL22 didn’t pay for Cucurella.

Bigger problem for Chelsea in particular is the UEFA FFP rules coming into force this month; the aggregate of wages, transfer fees, and agents’ fees cannot exceed 90% on income, reducing to 70% over three seasons. I can’t see how Chelsea will be anywhere near meeting this, unless I am missing something.
Thank you, that's really interesting to see an estimate of the numbers 👍

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Don't think he has, question is will Chelsea have the patience to wait while he masticates for 2 years?
To be fair, he had to sow Hughton’s defensive pig’s ear into the current silk purse and given our club set up this was always going to take a while. Chelsea can simply ship the duds out and buy what they need instantly. In short, he shouldn’t need two years this time.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Didn’t Ferguson have a bad start at ManU
He did, but that was a different era, when those who ran football clubs and/or their fans did not demand instant success having spent £ billions trying to buy it.

It's part of modern culture, sadly:

"What do we want?"
"Success"
"When do we want it?"
"Now."

I see the same attitude among many of my students, sadly; the idea of working slowly, steadily and patiently towards a goal (no pun intended) is laughed at. It's now a case of "I want it all now, and I think I'm entitled to it 'cos I'm special."

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I know it’s cool to bash him but the performance of the youngsters will carry favour with the board. They’ve signed some good young players on very long contracts which is their new model. And with injuries to James & Chilwell, Kante, plus the key players they lost in the summer and lack of strikers gives him good cover.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
To be fair, he had to sow Hughton’s defensive pig’s ear into the current silk purse and given our club set up this was always going to take a while. Chelsea can simply ship the duds out and buy what they need instantly. In short, he shouldn’t need two years this time.
That's good news. Because he'll be out on his ear by Easter :lol:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Am sure his bank balance looks healthy but it was always going to be a terrible move for his career as I cannot think of a worse cultural fit for someone like Potter. He’s not an idiot so he knew this when he joined but since we beat them they have descended into a downward spiral with pressure and questions growing by the week. The fixture and injury list suggest this will not be letting up anytime soon and I think he will be lucky to survive to the end of the season.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
To be fair, they’ve got a few injuries. In regards to being given time, I can’t imagine many teams keeping faith in GP to the extent that we did last season, when we went on that awful run. GP is a good manager and given time will turn things around. Thankfully for us, RDZ is better. UTA.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here