Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Has Barber got it wrong re: club stance on Ukraine?

Well?

• Total voters

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Screenshot_20220302-123938_Gmail.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes, they got it wrong by assuming that nothing was expected (or allowed) from the club and were shown up by the few clubs that did something.
Yes, they have now got it right. Better late than never.

That said, I appreciate that I'm in the minority on here in thinking that the club should have acted sooner and I have no idea if it was actually Barber who made the decision so can't say if it was him personally that got it wrong.

**** sake. Some can find negativity in anything.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
And that's the only thing they've got wrong so far imho.

Doing nothing on Saturday like most clubs. Fine.

Wearing an away kit in an away game and raising some money for a good cause - very fine.

Seeking out the PR win by going on national radio to crow about what a good gesture it is - classic Barber.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

I agree. Low hanging fruit.

I am a miserable cynic though and generally feeling pretty much over football. More about marketing than it is kicking a ball between sticks. I'm pleased the Albion are doing relatively well but recent events recalibrate priorities.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Sort of agree but what can the club do? I've just looked at a replica shirt for the first time in years - are they relly over 50 quid? I might be tempted by the scarf though.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Here's an idea, maybe at our next home match, a rousing chorus of "Give peace a chance" not the whole song, just the chorus of those four words as the two teams prepare to kick off, not too "political" just asking for peace!

I feel that singing "give peace a chance" implies that there are two sides equally to blame for this war and that we want them to peacefully resolve their issues. As we all know, the truth is far from that. Putin, as far as we can tell, wants nothing less than to destroy the Ukrainian government, and their military capability, and install a puppet regime, effectively incorporating the whole of Ukraine into Russia. I don't see how peace can prevail until Russia is brought to its knees. Perhaps "Give sanctions a chance" or "give arms and ammunition" would be better chants?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Here's an idea, maybe at our next home match, a rousing chorus of "Give peace a chance" not the whole song, just the chorus of those four words as the two teams prepare to kick off, not too "political" just asking for peace!

Sadly, a rousing chorus of 'Back in the USSR' would probably be more accurate. Really hope it's not though.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Surely Brighton has done more than NSC. Brighton wearing their kit in support, NSC the flag at the top. Brighton giving profits from sale of the yellow kits to Brittish red cross. NSC well.... errr...:wozza:. So if Barber hasn't done enough nor has Bozza. Or maybe people just like to complain about everything.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Surely Brighton has done more than NSC. Brighton wearing their kit in support, NSC the flag at the top. Brighton giving profits from sale of the yellow kits to Brittish red cross. NSC well.... errr...:wozza:. So if Barber hasn't done enough nor has Bozza. Or maybe people just like to complain about everything.

Open your eyes, read other threads and count to ten before posting drivel.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

AF3B0EDD-E635-45A2-8161-A66E55B5AAD2.jpeg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There is an appeal, with Bozza's permission via [MENTION=25007]Albion in the north[/MENTION], which has already raised over £1700, on another thread on Nsc.

As for the club, here is a reminder.
https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2510189/albions-show-of-support-for-peace-in-ukraine

Would be great if they could play in this at home to Liverpool and Spurs, we then sell out of the shirts completely, money is raised whether direct contributions to Ukraine as [MENTION=663]portlock seagull[/MENTION] has posted or other charity links.

I can't imagine what Ukrainians are going through. I can imagine them huddling around a TV watching a foreign football league they follow where it appears everyone is supporting and thinking about you. I don't think that is an empty gesture. Millions of Russians potentially seeing the Premier League bathed in blue and yellow I don't think is empty either. Donations and support can go hand in hand.

SAC

May 21, 2014

This thread was started before the club had done anything other than state that they were unable to do anything as it was political.

Some people read back through the thread before complaining about people complaining about everything.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
This thread was started before the club had done anything other than state that they were unable to do anything as it was political.

Allegedly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here