Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Has Autumn come early this year?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Lots of leaves down already, already significantly darker in the evenings (seems much earlier than normal.)

Or is it just me that thinks the seasons are definitely changing?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Lots of leaves down already, already significantly darker in the evenings (seems much earlier than normal.)

The leaves are down because it has been hot and dry.

As for darker earlier....no, that's not actually possible :lolol:

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Just feels that way due to cloud cover in the evenings last few days.

I always thought...

March-april-may = spring
June-july-august = summer
September-october-november = autumn
December-january-february = winter

It's nearly September so....

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It is a 'false autumn' caused by the drought. Many trees and shrubs have died, but before that point, they drop leaves early in a last ditch attempt to conserve water.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017

Some of it is likely to be heat stress, I’ve noticed a lot of autumnal leaves early too, and a number of distressed looking trees.

To me, it feels that the seasons have changed significantly over the years, far milder winters, but the heating not reliably being able to be switched off until mid-May. All of this is my anecdotal perception, I haven’t looked to see if the stats back me up. Although I remember having to switch the heating back on in May, having been previously determined that I would not be using it.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
About time if it has. Too much summer this year.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Some people just don’t notice the cyclical patterns of nature.

The recent draught ended with the usual torrential downpour and flooding here in Truro. Next day, a woman posted a picture of the very full river in the centre of town, with the caption “What a difference a week makes”. The first reply was “what a difference every six hours make” - the river is tidal, and has been for, ooh, several years probably.

Mind you, if it keeps on raining, the river will soon reach all the way to France.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
As others have rightly said, the early brown leaves are due to the recent exceptional heat and lack of rain, rather than the usual autumn changes of colour or leaf drop.

The nights are drawing in more quickly, sometimes by a couple of minutes each day, but this is normal for this time of year. It seems even earlier, though, because of the cloud cover of recent evenings, which has added to the sense of darkness and gloom.

The main change I have noticed over the years is the early ripening of blackberries. When I were a lad in Lancing, I'd go blackberry picking in October; now I go in late July/early August.

I hate the end of summer - 5-6 months of cold, darkness and rain ahead, and often being stuck indoors at weekends, rather than out in the garden. I quite envy animals which hibernate and sleep through winter!

Last edited:

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
Felt the same yesterday. 8-10c cooler than most of summer, early darkness (I was surprised to see it dark at 8pm. I have to lock our chicken coop up at sunset, so bad timekeeping was a faux pas here), and a lot of rain. Sadly the summer temps are returning today, but I'm looking forward to proper autumn and the lack of mosquitoes, black flies, deerflies and horseflies so I can enjoy rides, runs and hikes without being bitten to death.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
September is a lovely month in the UK. Very underrated.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
As others have rightly said, the early brown leaves are due to the recent exceptional heat and lack of rain, rather than the usual autumn changes of colour or leaf drop.

The nights are drawing in more quickly, sometimes by a couple of minutes each day, but this is normal for this time of year. It seems even earlier, though, because of the cloud cover of recent evenings, which has added to the sense of darkness and gloom.

The main change I have noticed over the years is the early ripening of blackberries. When I were a lad in Lancing, I'd go blackberry picking in October; now I go in late July/early August.

I hate the end of summer - 5-6 months of cold, darkness and rain ahead, and often being stuck indoors at weekends, rather than out in the garden. I quite envy animals which hibernate and sleep through winter!

I fully agree about the blackberries. Picked our first decent crop about three weeks ago - which I really cannot remember ever doing before. We've also been feeling as though autumn is coming along earlier this year, and we've had none of the drought issues you have had down south. I'm wondering if it's because of the mild winter, which led to an earlier flowering season - and so things are just naturally reaching the end of their annual lifespan a little earlier. So, it feels like autumn, but it's not actually so?

Having said that - we have definitely noticed the geese on the move some weeks ago, which doesn't normally happen until September.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The majority of our produce on the allotment has come early, due to the weather.
So beds empty earlier, when they should be full of green stuff.
Composting earlier I guess.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I picked some large fully-ripe blackberries at my parents' house in Ferring on 16 July, which I thought REALLY early. It was very notable on holiday in Cornwall this month how small and unripe the fruits were there, following the drought.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here