[Help] Has anyone WITH responsibilities ever just quit their job with no backup plan?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Not done it myself but post covid and post Brexit there are a lot of jobs up for grabs. Loads of folks reevaluated their lives after lockdowns and resigned to be self employed or part time. Obviously have no ides what sector you work in or what you do but do know there are loads of jobs around at the moment. If you're white collar update your LinkedIn and see what happens?

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
My job is making me ill.
I should have left ages ago.

I'm in need of some courage.

Is there an HR dept of any sort? With the job making you ill, you really shouldn't have any second thoughts about calling in sick. Don't fall into the "mental health issues aren't reasons to be off work" trap.

If you were exposed to chemicals at work that made you sick, you'd take time off to recover and refuse to go back until you were no longer exposed, right?

Being exposed to toxic colleagues/culture/working practice that impacts your mental health is no different.

If there's any sort of half-decent HR process around sickness absence, you'll be asked if your illness was caused by anything at work, so the issues will be raised officially and might be improved

Ultimately, it's likely you'll leave, rather than anything meaningful being done to improve your situation there, but the sickness absence will take you away from a toxic situation and give you time to find something else in the meantime.

Without knowing the job market for what you do and how long you can manage with no income, it's impossible to say whether or not I'd just walk in your situation. I do agree with the many on the thread who advise finding something before you walk though. It might be tough to stick it out while you do, but not half as tough as running out of money and feeling guilty about the call you made to walk... The only caveat to that is pushing yourself to the point of a blow-up / breakdown is no good for you or your family, so if you get anywhere near that, get the fvck out of Dodge - you & your family will survive better on a shoestring than with you in a mess!

Good luck with whatever you do Stat, but make sure you do something rather than let it fester and worsen.

Last edited:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Only time I've done anything like that was something like 35 years ago. I was working at The Grand and applied for, and got, a more senior position at The Metropole. I worked my notice at The Grand, but then on the morning I was due to start at The Metropole, I woke up and decided I didn't want to work in hotels anymore, so simply didn't bother turning up.

I wrote a letter to American Express HR asking for any job that was 9-5 Monday to Friday, and started there about a month later.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Is there an HR dept of any sort? With the job making you ill, you really shouldn't have any second thoughts about calling in sick. Don't fall into the "mental health issues aren't reasons to be off work" trap.

If you were exposed to chemicals at work that made you sick, you'd take time off to recover and refuse to go back until pou were no longer exposed, right?

Being exposed to toxic colleagues/culture/working practice that impacts your mental health is no different.

If there's any sort of half-decent HR process around sickness absence, you'll be asked if your illness was caused by anything at work, so the issues will be raised officially and might be improved

Ultimately, it's likely you'll leave, rather than anything meaningful being done to improve your situation there, but the sickness absence will take you away from a toxic situation and give you time to find something else in the meantime.

Without knowing the job market for what you do and how long you can manage with no income, it's impossible to say whether or not I'd just walk in your situation. I do agree with the many on the thread who advise finding something before you walk though. It might be tough to stick it out while you do, but not half as tough as running out of money and feeling guilty about the call you made to walk... The only caveat to that is pushing yourself to the point of a blow-up / breakdown is no good for you or your family, so if you get anywhere near that, get the fvck out of Dodge - you & your family will survive better on a shoestring than with you in a mess!

Good luck with whatever you do Stat, but make sure you do something rather than let it fester and worsen.

The HR route is risky though. It’s easy to forget that they are on the side of the employer rather than the employee. I’ve never trusted them and would not share any problems with them. In my experience the best solution is find a new employer ASAP.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
The HR route is risky though. It’s easy to forget that they are on the side of the employer rather than the employee. I’ve never trusted them and would not share any problems with them. In my experience the best solution is find a new employer ASAP.

"Risky" in what way if leaving is inevitable anyway?

Mental health issues can be considered a disability, so there are plenty of laws on the employee's side if the employer's response is incompetent, or unreasonable. In which case, take 'em to the cleaners!

HR departments may be on the side of the employer, but that also includes protecting them from the risk of legal claims from mistreated staff (and less dramatically, the risk of a decent & productive member of staff leaving which could have been prevented by some changes to remove the cause of the issue).

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
"Risky" in what way if leaving is inevitable anyway?

Mental health issues can be considered a disability, so there are plenty of laws on the employee's side if the employer's response is incompetent, or unreasonable. In which case, take 'em to the cleaners!

HR departments may be on the side of the employer, but that also includes protecting them from the risk of legal claims from mistreated staff (and less dramatically, the risk of a decent & productive member of staff leaving which could have been prevented by some changes to remove the cause of the issue).

If a new job can’t be found quickly then he may have to stay where he is for a little while. Better to keep your head down, take the money then move on at a time to suit ie retain control of the situation rather than be forced out. It’s all very well pointing to rights but that’s not an easy route, particularly for someone already suffering from stress. HR report directly in to management, often on a daily basis depending upon the industry. If someone doesn’t want to make their feelings known to management they certainly shouldn’t speak to HR.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I'm 55 yo, have been working 12 hour day / night shifts for the last 26 years.
I couldn't even contemplate going back to a 9-5 job, as I'll miss the time off.
The contract company I work for have come in and cut the legs of all involved, creating an environment of stress, hatred and just not wanting to be there.
Much as I'd like to jack it all and raise the proverbial finger to the incompetent bosses, sadly bills have to be paid.
Its tempting though ???

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I've quit three jobs with nothing lined up - for different reasons, and with some very different outcomes.

In the cold light of day, it doesn't really make sense to quit 'so you have time/headpace to look for something else' or to 'force yourself into action'.

Take a week off. Work out what you want to do. Talk to people. Apply for jobs.

Nothing says "f**k you" to an employer better than leaving for another job - especially a rival, of course.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
If a new job can’t be found quickly then he may have to stay where he is for a little while. Better to keep your head down, take the money then move on at a time to suit ie retain control of the situation rather than be forced out. It’s all very well pointing to rights but that’s not an easy route, particularly for someone already suffering from stress.

Whereas keeping his head down and just getting on with it while he looks for another job is an 'easy route' for someone whose work is the cause of that stress?

There's no easy route, but IMO, the HR one shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. There may be other people raising similar issues. Stat may be a key employee and losing him would cause harm to the business. Replacing experienced staff costs money, so any half-decent HR department would look into the extent of the problem(s) raised and advise on what is best for the business. It's entirely feasible that what's best for the business is also best for Stat - i.e. sorting out the reasons for his stress and keeping that experience, rather than go through the process of hiring and training, only for the same issues to occur again because nobody sorted out the cause...

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Whats the meaning of life if you are miserable?
I quit a very well paid job 19 years ago. Found something that made me happy. Cut my cloth to suit. Re evaluate your life and find out what is important. I dont know you personally, but if you are young enough and enthusiastic enough you can make it work. Dont put yourself under too much pressure and believe in your own ability to overcome anything that will come your way. Im very happy with my life and now only work 3 days a week.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Only once, on the same day Mrs Wz had started maternity leave for our first child. To say she was a little surprised when I walked back through the door at lunchtime is understating it a little :eek:

It wasn't through choice though, there was a takeover and it was a case of relocate to Birmingham or take redundancy. We went out for lunch the next day and when I got home there was an answerphone message from a recruitment friend that had heard what had happened. She was recruiting for a suitable position (and had somehow got me on the shortlist of 3 despite the first interviews having been already taken place). I spent the next few days reading up on the industry/company I was being put forward for, and it worked out I had a job a week later and a very generous redundancy package, but purely through luck. It's not something I would choose to repeat when I had significant responsibilities.

But you have said yourself about a couple of 'half hearted' interviews, so maybe this is the prompt to get your arse into gear, stop talking about it and start properly looking (really meant in a more supportive way than it sounds :wink:). I'm sure that if you really go for it, you can get something in the next 2 or 3 months. I don't know about you, but I always found the challenge of starting new jobs to be a real buzz and once I started seriously looking I used to love the excitement of the whole interviews/offers/negotiations process. Any money you get out of this April pay rise, simply put away the day you get paid, and if you've been there a while, I'll be stunned if you don't get a better package elsewhere.

It's easier to find jobs when you're in one and I'm sure that taking really positive steps will improve your psychological situation immediately. Good Luck :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Yup. Chucked in my job for a year because of massive stress shortly after starting a family, had a month decompressing and then turned my hobby (photography) into an income until I was ready to face the 9 to 5 again. Loved that year - I'd managed to build up a bit of work on the side before handing my notice in and quickly got press jobs at big music events and festivals, covered the top 3 teams in non-league football for a couple of months, somehow got some freelance work at the House of Commons and via that some party conference work, did some weddings and corporate things but realised I was rubbish at being self-employed because I never took time off. Was never short of work and often had too much but was always worried that if I turned something down the next month might be quiet. So after a year I went back to 9 to 5 but on my own terms, starting on a 3 month contract kind of doing what I was doing before, which was rolled into 6 months and ended up permanent. While there are times I really want to chuck it all in and there are times I'm feeling desperate for change generally it's given me more confidence to work now on my own terms and feel a bit less "trapped". Sometimes a change really is as good as a rest I guess.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Two. First was when I decided I didn’t want to commute; I asked about remote working, was told no, so I left. This was around 18 years ago.

Another time I wanted a 6 month sabbatical and left.

My situation is slightly different as I’m a freelancer and these were contracts (long term ones) which I didn’t renew.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
3 week holiday!!! Of course your job is making you ill first day back after that, you’ll be alright in a few days, are they bullying you, are you on shit money??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No you've missed the point.
I was struggling long before 3 weeks off.
I've spoken to the biggest boss I can about it
Upon returning too work, within the hour, I was right back to how I left the place.

I've been a weapon (doubt you missed that point :smile: )

I've wanted out for ages, my CV is done, I've had a couple of interviews, got low balled on wage and another job was a wrong'un.

Ive put up excuse after excuse, 'not a good time', pandemic, moving house' etc.

I know I really need to get out, I can't sleep, I'm proper stressed, very angry and short tempered (completely out of character).

Yet being so done in by it, and worn down by life (and work) I just can't find the ooomph to move on.

I guess I just need to be pushed, but I'm so (small c) conservative with an almost totally reflective character trait, I can't bring myself to do what's needed.

Hence throwing open the doors to the great and good of NSC.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Reading through this thread I feel blessed, the three jobs I have had since I left school in 1987 I have absolutely loved, I can honestly say that every day I have been to work I have enjoyed. It saddens me to see so many unhappy with their jobs.[emoji20]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Whereas keeping his head down and just getting on with it while he looks for another job is an 'easy route' for someone whose work is the cause of that stress?

There's no easy route, but IMO, the HR one shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. There may be other people raising similar issues. Stat may be a key employee and losing him would cause harm to the business. Replacing experienced staff costs money, so any half-decent HR department would look into the extent of the problem(s) raised and advise on what is best for the business. It's entirely feasible that what's best for the business is also best for Stat - i.e. sorting out the reasons for his stress and keeping that experience, rather than go through the process of hiring and training, only for the same issues to occur again because nobody sorted out the cause...

Its funny because I'm not a key employee, but every single time, genuinely every time, I return from holiday, all I get is thank God you're back it's been awful here!

Today ive had separate managers giving tours of the department.
When they get to my work station, you'd think they were talking about Steve Jobs, not just a jobbie.

Nerve centre, critical, most difficult job, needs to be perfect - on and on.
One of them, 10 minutes later, reappeared only to ask a seriously f**king remedial question.

He'll not do that again!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Reading through this thread I feel blessed, the three jobs I have had since I left school in 1987 I have absolutely loved, I can honestly say that every day I have been to work I have enjoyed. It saddens me to see so many unhappy with their jobs.[emoji20]

I am self aware enough to be able to say:-

'maybe, maybe, it might not just be everyone else...' :lol:

Again another excuse for staying, I get away with murder here.
What if it's me and I go somewhere else,. I'm a tool but only now I haven't done the hard yards.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I always plan moves based on weighing up 5 factors. It's stood me in good stead so far. So long as I tick 4/5 I'm content, 3/5 I'm looking to make changes to my working conditions. 2/5 I'm outta there. Each has a different weighting at different times.

1. My Manager
2. The actual work itself
3. The Work/Life Balance
4. Career opportunities
5 Pay and benefits.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I am self aware enough to be able to say:-

'maybe, maybe, it might not just be everyone else...' :lol:

Again another excuse for staying, I get away with murder here.
What if it's me and I go somewhere else,. I'm a tool but only now I haven't done the hard yards.

You do sound like a bit of a nightmare employee :)
I’m going to stick my neck out and advise you to stay. Sounds like you will be running the place in no time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports