Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Has Anyone Tried Taxing Their Car On-line Recently?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
For nearly a week now, every time I try, the website times out.
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax
You click the "Start now" button, and that's it.
Anyone else taxed their car using this website and been successful?
This could mean a walk to the Post Office if all's not well in the next week!

(Awaits a mixture of sensible and constructive responses, or fish puns!!).

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Maybe try it with a different browser?

Tried my ipad with whatever browser that has. No good. My laptop has Opera. No good. Same result with Motorola phone. It's looking like the Post Office!

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
I did mine OK yesterday. There was a new element about setting up an account, but that came at the end of the process, certainly beyond where you appear to be having issues. I use Google Chrome if that makes a difference.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I usually do it on the phone ,0300 1234321 from memory? Yup,just checked. Maybe worth a go?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Tried my ipad with whatever browser that has. No good. My laptop has Opera. No good. Same result with Motorola phone. It's looking like the Post Office!

Weird. Your link is working fine on here. Can't understand why your devices are floundering (You asked for them).

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Weird. Your link is working fine on here. Can't understand why your devices are floundering (You asked for them).
I can't work it out. I've installed Chrome and that doesn't work either. Perhaps there's something in one of the security systems stopping it?
I've given up. I'll try again on my friend's laptop tomorrow and if that fails, it's off to the Post Office!
Thanks everyone for your help.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
The DVLA are a complete mess, I bought a car (main Vauxhall dealer) but because the car had been previously owned and leased by Motability the DVLA will not allow the new V5C details to be changed via their website, it has to be done at the Post Office. The Dealer did all this and taxed the car and the old V5C was sent to the DVLA with my details on 17/02/22. I have still not received my new V5C (they say allow 6 weeks for postal applications to be processed) it's now coming up to 8 weeks. Been trying on their webchat service (8 times so far) to find out why I haven't received it, to no avail, robot asks you loads of questions and when it runs out of answers it says it will put you through to an advisor, which then changes to 'All our advisors are busy please try again later!!!!!

:rant::rant:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
For nearly a week now, every time I try, the website times out.
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax
You click the "Start now" button, and that's it.
Anyone else taxed their car using this website and been successful?
This could mean a walk to the Post Office if all's not well in the next week!

(Awaits a mixture of sensible and constructive responses, or fish puns!!).

Wild guess - Are you using a VPN? If so does it work if you disable the VPN?

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Did mine a couple of weeks ago. Really straight forward, no issues. Sorry to rub it in.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Disable and clear cookies?
Not keen on doing this as I have to put all my passwords back in?
This wouldn't be the case on my ipad or phone too, would it?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I used my mates laptop at her house today. Worked like a dream. I can only guess that my router stopped access to the next page of the payment process.
Thanks everyone for your help.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I've had similar issues with TFL. Needed to pay the congestion charge and because I couldn't get it to work several times I then forgot and got fined. Now struggling to pay the fine. Will have to call them.

Have the Russians hacked?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here